X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • braxtonhs
    • Jan 2015
    • 5.1.x

What Hosting to use?

I'm currently with 1and1 (ya I know) they are on MySQL 5.1.73 and will not change permissions. So I cannot use them for my hosting.

So that brings me to the question, what hosting should I use. I do not have a large number of domains and Vbulletin is the main thing I want to run as of right now. I'd rather not have to switch hosting again later. Biggest factors are cost, ease of use, and reliability.

Thank you all in advance.

PS. I tried to contact vbulletin on facebook over a week ago and twitter and tried to sign up here over a week ago and just got the email allowing me to post.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

I (vBZachery on twitter) do my best to respond to most of the tweets at vBulletin, but its hard to keep track sometimes. vBulletin.com's Forum, or sending an email to sales is the best.

Generally most any webhost that has something like cPanel should be fine, it really depends on your needs though.

Comment

• braxtonhs
      • Jan 2015
      • 5.1.x

Has anybody successfully used 1and1 with Vbull 5?

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

We generally don't recommend 1&1 for a various number of reasons.

Comment

• alexchar
          • Mar 2013
          • 5.1.x

Another suggestion by me is: buy the 1st or the 2nd vps package from vultr.com with Centos 6 x64, then install Centos-webpanel.com

These, only if you know a little linux terminal, and you have basic knowledge of hosting etc.
          Bring back hooks in vBulletin 5 Connect
          Vote here: VBV-10333
          For a better vBulletin 5 product!
          Sorry for my English!

Comment

• starme
            • Aug 2011
            • 4.1.x

I was using 1and1 before then ipage. I dont recommend both because of the limitation on the resources. There was also time that they upgraded to unsupported PHP versions and left me no choice but to move. I agree that the hosting must have cpanel which will give you more freedom unlike custom control panel.

I am happy now with our hosting provider. they are excellent and also provide vbulletin support. And hourly backup which is the most important to us.

VPS is not recommended yet. Since you are just starting your forum, shared hosting is fine, then you can move to vps as your forum grow.

Comment

• alexchar
              alexchar commented
              Editing a comment
              The first package, with daily backups cost no more than 6-7 euros. So it is pretty cheap, nearly as shared web-shoting price in that company I recommended.
          • braxtonhs
            • Jan 2015
            • 5.1.x

starme, what hosting service are you using?

Let me rephrase my question, do you really like your hosting? if so, who do you use?

Comment

• starme
              starme commented
              Editing a comment
              I sent via PM. Check your inbox
          • Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

Any webhost offering cPanel should generally be fine. Choose a webhost, buy a short term plan (1-3 months) if it works well, keep renewing at the 1-3 month interval. If something starts going downhill, find a new webhost.

Comment

• Replicant
              • Sep 2014

I use Siteground for my hosting and have had no issues with them. All the requirements are met and exceeded with different levels of hosting packages and excellent customer support.

Comment

• Brad Padgett
                • Jul 2014
                • 5.1.x

Cpanel hosting should be your standard. A host who supports it shows reliability.

I recommend host pair for various reasons. (hostpair.com)

They provide very high amounts of bandwidth for a shared package and do not limit your resources at all aside from bandwidth and storage which they give you the perfect amount. They support Cpanel and are extremely cheap.

Take a look at their plans before you make up your mind, they are very generous plans and they have a great support staff as well. The uptime is world class.

You can get a plan with 200 GB of space and 10 GB of disk space for $7.33 a month.

You can also get 20 GB of bandwidth and 1 GB of disk space for a small $1.52 a month if you want to start small.

Cheap prices for world class value.

Hope you find what your looking for.
                "Do not go where the path may lead, instead go where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• gbrain
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 5.1.x

Originally posted by braxtonhs
                  Has anybody successfully used 1and1 with Vbull 5?

braxtonhs I must say I have been with them for +5 years and never had a problem, running 5.1.5 currently.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...