Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Elsa23
    • Dec 2014

Migrate from phpbb

Hi, i'm new here.. I don't speak english well. So sorry for that.

I have a phpbb french board since 2003 with a large bd, i want to migrate to vb5
    It is possible to do that without problem? i want to keep all posts and members

I see in licence the possibility of "Professional Installation", at this price you can do the migration for me from phpbb?

Thanks
  • TLMD
    • Sep 2012
    • 5.6.X

Originally posted by Elsa23
    I have a phpbb french board since 2003 with a large bd, i want to migrate to vb5
    It is possible to do that without problem? i want to keep all posts and members
    You would use Impex to import your forum, however as far as I know you can only import to vB4. Posts and members are being covered by the import. From there you would have to run an upgrade to vB5. Here is a list of forum software that can be imported via Impex (which includes phpbb1, phpbb2 and phpbb3, at least up to 3.0.5).

I see in licence the possibility of "Professional Installation", at this price you can do the migration for me from phpbb?
    From the FAQ:

What does the upgrade service cover?
    An upgrade from your current version, to a newer version of your choice. We will upgrade you from you current vBulletin software to a newer version. You can choose to upgrade to any version that is eligible to download from your license.

What does the installation service cover?
    We will install the newest version of vBulletin, unless otherwise specified.

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

Professional installations do not cover importing data from other software. Sorry.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Elsa23
        • Dec 2014

Hi,

The version of phpbb is 3.0.12, is that supported with Impex ?

So, what to do ? :

-i buy a licence for vb5 and download the vb4 (what version of vb4 is supported to import with Impex ?)

- i install the vb4 it in a new folder in server

- then, i import data (posts and users) from phpbb with Impex ?

- finally, i redirect url of actuel forum to the new one?

normally i must do a test in local, to install vb4 and import data.. but if 3.0.12 is not supported, i do not buy vb and i will keep my phpbb3 forum

Thanks for your answers and your help
        Last edited by Elsa23; Sat 20 Dec '14, 11:46am.

Comment

• alexchar
          • Mar 2013
          • 5.1.x

Yes, correct. You will have to import your data in a vb4's installation first. Use the latest stable version.
          Then you can either use vB4, or upgrade to vB5. Make sure that you have downloaded the French package of the latest vB5 version, if you want to have French in your forum.

Do you need assistance with the ImpEx tool? There are several guides that can help you.

If you managed to install phpBB by your self, i'm sure there is no need to buy proffesional installation package. It isn't difficult to install, import and upgrade and as I told you, vBulletin has several manuals.

Sorry for my English!
          Bring back hooks in vBulletin 5 Connect
          Vote here: VBV-10333
          For a better vBulletin 5 product!
          Sorry for my English!

Comment

• TLMD
            • Sep 2012
            • 5.6.X

The version of phpbb is 3.0.12, is that supported with Impex ?
            Based on the list of forum software, that can be imported via Impex, phpbb 3.0.5 is the last supported version.

Comment

• alexchar
              • Mar 2013
              • 5.1.x

Elsa, it will be better if you wait for a staff member to reply if it is compatible with 3.0.12/
              Bring back hooks in vBulletin 5 Connect
              Vote here: VBV-10333
              For a better vBulletin 5 product!
              Sorry for my English!

Comment

• Elsa23
                • Dec 2014

So can you help me please to choice? i purchase licence ?

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by alexchar
                  Elsa, it will be better if you wait for a staff member to reply if it is compatible with 3.0.12/
                  Hello,

Impex is likely compatible with 3.0.12 but we cannot confirm this. If you do choose to try it be sure to read this thread before using Impex- http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...91#post4226591

Comment

• Elsa23
                    • Dec 2014

Hello,
                    This remains a risk..

An other question:
                    - I would like to try an import with Impex in a live test area on my server and not on local.. So, when i buy licence and download software, i can install it two times, in two folders of my server?
                    First, in my live test area, if all work fine with import, i delete it et and install it in the folder that became the real forum

Thanks

Comment

• TLMD
                      • Sep 2012
                      • 5.6.X

From the FAQ:
                      For testing purposes, you are allowed to have a second installation of the software but the test forum must be password protected, and not made available to the general public at any time.

From the license agreement:
                      You may make one (1) additional temporary test copy for the purpose of testing code, template and database modifications. Such a test copy must not be made available to the general public at any time.

So yes, your test installation does not need to be a local installation. You are just not allowed to run 2 "live" (= accessable) installations with 1 license. However if you do not make your test installation publicly available (e.g. password-protected via htaccess file), then you are fine.

Comment

• Elsa23
                        • Dec 2014

Thanks TLMD
                        Just a question i see that you have a like for your post.. how to do that? i haven't any button to do it

Comment

• TLMD
                          • Sep 2012
                          • 5.6.X

If you are logged in, on the bottom right side of every post there is a "Like" button (next to "Flag", "Comment", "Quote" etc.). If you click that button, you like the post and add reputation to the member who has posted that content. On this site the like button might only be available for users that are licensed customers though, so if you don't own a vB license yet, you might not see it. On your own forums you can decide on your own, who can or can't use this option.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                            • Jul 2008

I'm not certain but unlicensed users may not see the "Like" option- they have restricted permissions. In that case he will see the "Like" button after he purchases a license and is verified as a license holder.

Comment

• Elsa23
                              • Dec 2014

Hello,

Happy new year

I have a friend that will give me vb4 to test importing my forum in local.. if all works fine, i will buy a licence.. its the unique garantie i found

So, ca you help me ? i need Impex and if possible a tutorial to do importation

Thanks

Ps. i didn't found where to add a signature to my posts, to put this : "Sorry for my bad english"

Comment