Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cmadeleinem
    • Mar 2002

customizing registration for COPPA

I am considering purchasing vbulletin for my non-profit. Our site targets kids, so we are very sensitive about COPPA issues. At our lawyer's suggestion, we plan to avoid collecting email addresses from our users. If we are able to screen all posts before making them live to the site, we don't see a reason to collect any personally identifiable information. We want to keep this process anonymous rather than going the verifiable parental consent route. Your registration process includes a required email field. Can we remove this and allow our users to register with just a username and a password?
  • SWFans.net
    • Sep 2001

I'm not entirely positive about the email adress, though if you turn registration confirmation off, I think it should allow it to not be a requirement. In which case you can remove the field from the templates. As for screening all posts before they become live on site, that can definately be done.
    SWFans.Net Forums
    Not Your Average Star Wars Forums.

Just a few of the other styles to choose from:
    Jedi | Streamlined | T-Phantom

Comment

• tubedogg
      • Feb 2001

If you are making it anonymous I would just turn off registration altogether.

Comment

• cmadeleinem
        • Mar 2002

Do you know of an example of an anonymous registration vbulletin board that I could take a look at? Does turning off the registration affect the way the board functions?

Comment

• cmadeleinem
          • Mar 2002

how do i do this?

Your team has been really great about responding to my posts. I just need a little more info-- I'm still not totally clear on how to turn off the registration function so that users can just enter the boards and post anonymously without having to complete a registration form. Freddie told me that I can edit the unregistered usergroups to allow anyone to post, but will this disable the registration?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

No it makes it secondary and unnecessary. If you want to eliminate the email in registration, this will require some hacking of the register.php file where you remove a few lines of code but it isn't a major undertaking.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment