Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redskins_43
    • Mar 2002

Newbie to purchase

hello all. i am new and have no background in web servers, nothing really. i love the vB software and wondered what licensing i would need to get up and running.

i predict that there would be 10 or more forums, and potentially over 5,000 members posting fairly frequently. i really cannot predict but i need to get a sense as to my costs.

also who would i need to seek to help me with install and maintenance? someone with mySQL expertise, etc?

sorry for the mundane questions!

joe
  • SWFans.net
    • Sep 2001

You will need a host that allows PHP and at least one MySQL Database. You will need the username and password for the MySQL Database. And then you will need to purchase a license from vBulletin for their software. I believe there are still two options. A leased license (annual) or an owned license.

I was not a MySQL expert when I started my board (am still not) and managed pretty well , so I don't really think you need an expert’s help.
    SWFans.Net Forums
    Not Your Average Star Wars Forums.

Just a few of the other styles to choose from:
    Jedi | Streamlined | T-Phantom

Comment

• redskins_43
      • Mar 2002

Thank you for the information. Your site is very cool. Does the vBulletin software come with various ways to display the forums? Like what is in your signature?

Joe

Comment

• SWFans.net
        • Sep 2001

It comes with one default style, but you have the ability to create as many as you like.
        SWFans.Net Forums
        Not Your Average Star Wars Forums.

Just a few of the other styles to choose from:
        Jedi | Streamlined | T-Phantom

Comment

• freehtml
          • Apr 2001
          • 4.1.x

Originally posted by curley
          Thank you for the information. Your site is very cool. Does the vBulletin software come with various ways to display the forums? Like what is in your signature?

Joe
          There is also a lots of hacks at vbulletin.org
          iHu6.com (BETA) - www.ihu6.com

Comment

• redskins_43
            • Mar 2002

Originally posted by freehtml

There is also a lots of hacks at vbulletin.org
            Can you explain what you mean by this? Thanks!

Comment

• Steve Machol
              Former Customer Support Manager
              • Jul 2000

The vbulletin.org site hosts a lot of the hacks (i.e., code modifications) for vB. This site is for people who want to tinker with the source code to add functions and features that aren't in the standard package.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...