• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gnofart
    • Nov 2012
    • 4.2.X

1 pre sales question

Hi,

We would like to use vBulletin forum as part of our web portal, but we already have our USER database, can we integrate / customize vBulletin to use our existing USER table or may be calling our USER API ?

many thanks
    John
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

If you want to use an existing user database, you would need to write a script to import all the users into the vbulletin user table. Then, you would also need to write some sort of script makes sure both user tables have new users added to them.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• gnofart
      • Nov 2012
      • 4.2.X

Thx for feedback.

So, basically , you mean, we need to synchronize the 2 users table.

So, there is no possibility to customize the vBulletin login or registration FORM to read and write directly from another user table?

Or perhaps , is it possible to write a plugin to integrate to another Identity Provider/SSO?

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
        vBulletin Support
        • Aug 2002
        • 5.7.X

You can either write a plugin to do it or edit the code however:

- we won't support a forum where the default code has been customised and
        - we don't provide support for plugins
        Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
        - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by gnofart
          Thx for feedback.
          So, there is no possibility to customize the vBulletin login or registration FORM to read and write directly from another user table?

Or perhaps , is it possible to write a plugin to integrate to another Identity Provider/SSO?
          As someone who has done a lot of vBulletin custom coding I can tell you it will be far more work to edit vBulletin to use your existing user table than write a script that synchronizes usernames/accounts every X minutes.

Comment

• alemcherry
            • Jun 2006

I would suggest importing your existing database to VB (write a small script for that) and then using VB database for user management, without using your existing table any more. That would be easy to maintain as well as to upgrade the forum automatically whenever you have a new version.
            Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...