X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KenDahl4u
    • Nov 2014
    • 5.0.x

Is 200GB enough?

I run a high-traffic forum and was looking to switch from my current platform to VBulletin. I recently purchased the smaller plan to kind of test things out....at 25GB, This purchase was made on the 17th. Since then, I've just been setting things up, and have invited 8-9 of my moderators to beta test the board. During the period of November 17th thru today (November 25th), I've used 15,000 MB of the allotted bandwidth. This is concerning for me -- mainly because all we've done is upload a couple of avatars (which are non-GIF), and made 3 or 4 topics.

In the same timeframe (Nov 17-Nov 25), my current board (where I am planning on moving from) has received 343,000 views/hits, and 17,551 posts.Honestly, Is the 200GB bandwidth plan you guys are offering enough for a community like mine? If I'm already at 15,000MB with such little activity, I'm very nervous. Does the session timeout allotment also affect bandwidth? I could have sworn that I witnessed a spike in bandwidth usage once I increased that setting.

Last edited by KenDahl4u; Wed 26 Nov '14, 2:45am.
  • beishe8
    • Oct 2005
    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by KenDahl4u
    I run a high-traffic forum and was looking to switch from my current platform to VBulletin. I recently purchased the smaller plan to kind of test things out....at 25GB, This purchase was made on the 17th. Since then, I've just been setting things up, and have invited 8-9 of my moderators to beta test the board. During the period of November 17th thru today (November 25th), I've used 15,000 MB of the allotted bandwidth. This is concerning for me -- mainly because all we've done is upload a couple of avatars (which are non-GIF), and made 3 or 4 topics.

In the same timeframe (Nov 17-Nov 25), my current board (where I am planning on moving from) has received 343,000 views/hits, and 17,551 posts.Honestly, Is the 200GB bandwidth plan you guys are offering enough for a community like mine? If I'm already at 15MB with such little activity, I'm very nervous. Does the session timeout allotment also affect bandwidth? I could have sworn that I witnessed a spike in bandwidth usage once I increased that setting.
    Please check that usage again.
    Perhaps it's really only 15MB instead of 15GB.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• KenDahl4u
      • Nov 2014
      • 5.0.x

Originally posted by beishe8

Please check that usage again.
      Perhaps it's really only 15MB instead of 15GB.

Aren't 1,000 MB = 1 GB?

Comment

• Brad Padgett
        • Jul 2014
        • 5.1.x

Aren't 1,000 MB = 1 GB?

Yes 1 GB = 1000 MB.

I believe 200 GB is enough for a fair community. I'll let you deal with the professionals though.

200 GB is a lot but from the looks of it that may or may not be enough. 16,355 MB is 16.35 GB and I believe the bandwidth is monthly so you should get refreshed every month.
        "Do not go where the path may lead, instead go where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• beishe8
          • Oct 2005
          • 4.2.X

Aren't 1,000 MB = 1 GB?
          Yes,they are. (Depends on its calculation. It can be 1024)
          In your post it is once 15MB the other figure is 15,000MB.
          In your post it is from "November 17th thru today (November 25th)," (8 days)while on the image it is from 2014-10-28 - 2014-11-26 (29days)

What are the correct figures?

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• KenDahl4u
            • Nov 2014
            • 5.0.x

I just signed up for this service on November 17th. By default, its providing monthly data I suppose.
            But as of last week, I was at 0. Fresh slate. I just don't understand how we used so much bandwidth so quickly.
            My site is at http://brandysource.vbulletin.net

As you can see, activity has been minimal as we simply test the board.

Comment

• donald1234
              • Oct 2011
              • 4.1.x

How much bandwidth per month does your current board use? There won't (or shouldn't be) much difference.

Comment

• KenDahl4u
                • Nov 2014
                • 5.0.x

Originally posted by donald1234
                How much bandwidth per month does your current board use? There won't (or shouldn't be) much difference.
                I'm not sure, since I currently use a free server. (Zetaboards), I don't have that data.

Comment

• donald1234
                  • Oct 2011
                  • 4.1.x

It would only use 15G in such a short period of times if you have thousands of visitors (bots maybe) on the board.

Comment

• alexchar
                    • Mar 2013
                    • 5.1.x

In my opinion, the best way is to purchase the downloadable package, not the cloud one as it is very limited, and also buy a shared hosting package or a vps one from a hosting provider.
                    Bring back hooks in vBulletin 5 Connect
                    Vote here: VBV-10333
                    For a better vBulletin 5 product!
                    Sorry for my English!

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                      • Jul 2008

In the same timeframe (Nov 17-Nov 25), my current board (where I am planning on moving from) has received 343,000 views/hits, and 17,551 posts.Honestly, Is the 200GB bandwidth plan you guys are offering enough for a community like mine? If I'm already at 15,000MB with such little activity, I'm very nervous. Does the session timeout allotment also affect bandwidth? I could have sworn that I witnessed a spike in bandwidth usage once I increased that setting.

If you're already a license holder please log into the Member's Area and add the email address you are using for your forum account to the Priority Forum Support list. This will allow us to see your account and we may be better able to answer questions when we can see the account you are asking about.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                        • Aug 2000

Are you using the same Google Analytics code for both sites?
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• KenDahl4u
                          • Nov 2014
                          • 5.0.x

Originally posted by Joe D.

If you're already a license holder please log into the Member's Area and add the email address you are using for your forum account to the Priority Forum Support list. This will allow us to see your account and we may be better able to answer questions when we can see the account you are asking about.
                          Hey, thanks for your reply.

I submitted my email like a week ago, and still have no access to support forums.Emailed support about having no access, and got no reply..
                          Tried calling today to upgrade my account, got a prompt asking me to leave a message for a callback. Kind of nervous now. Customer service is important to me.

Comment

• KenDahl4u
                            • Nov 2014
                            • 5.0.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                            Are you using the same Google Analytics code for both sites?
                            Only use Analytics for one site. I heard that Analytic bots take up bandwidth, which could actually explain why my bandwidth reading indicates there's activity on the board, when physically there's really none. LOL Analytics aren't all important to me so I can remove them. Do you think that could be part of the issue here?

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                              • Jul 2008

Hey, thanks for your reply.

I submitted my email like a week ago, and still have no access to support forums.Emailed support about having no access, and got no reply..
                              Tried calling today to upgrade my account, got a prompt asking me to leave a message for a callback. Kind of nervous now. Customer service is important to me.
                              If we received your email you would have gotten a near-immediate reply with a ticket number. If you did get a ticket number please post it and I will look into it.

If you didn't get a ticket number be aware to reduce massive amount of spam we receive, emails from unrecognized email addresses will be sent an email asking you to confirm you are human before the email gets delivered- sometimes that automatic email is blocked as spam by some ISPs so you never get the chance to prove you are human.

However if you just use the same email address you used when you purchased the software you would automatically be recognized as a license holder and emails will not need to be confirmed.

Our phone staff works normal office hours 9am to 5pm Pacific Time (GMT - 8), Monday to Friday excluding holidays in the USA, and yesterday and today are US Holidays so phone support will not be available until 9AM Monday.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...