Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • parafieldtower
    • Oct 2005

vB4 or vB5

Hi, I'm still running vB3.7.3 on my site. Purchased the vB4 suite when it was still beta but have never found the time to upgrade to it. Before I knew it, vB5 is here?! From what I've been reading there are a lot of features not yet available on the vB5 such as CMS, photo album, etc. If I want to do an upgrade by end of 2012, and most definitely Q1 2013, should I wait and upgrade straight to vB5? That also partly depends on whether vB5 will have the missing features available by then.

A very big factor for me is I don't want to spend a lot of time getting myself, the rest of the admin team, and also the user base all learned how to use vB4 only have to switch to vB5 in say after a 3-6 months time.

Also any discount if I upgrade directly to vB5 if I haven't used my vB4?
  • wave-rice
    • Feb 2011
    • 5.5.x

At this time, vBulletin 5 is currently in beta stages and is scheduled to be released sometime this year. You are correct regarding some of vBulletin 5's features. Some of these will need more work, thus not being available on launch day. They will come later on in future updates to the software.

vBulletin 4 currently is more stable than the beta version of vBulletin 5 so if you want to get your update done as soon as possible then vBulletin 4 will be the best option.

I recommend you upgrade to vBulletin 4, which is by far more stable and comes with more features than 3.7. Then, in the future, when you feel the time is right, you can arrange an upgrade to vBulletin 5 should you wish to.
    Aakif Nazir

Comment

• parafieldtower
      • Oct 2005

Thanks. Can you advise whether the Page Manager feature as seen at the following is part of the CMS?

Aside from drag and drop, is there anything the Page Manager in vB5 can do and vB4 can't do? I'm looking for something that can serve as a WYSIWYG page editor. vB5 looks like provide this feature but not sure with vB4.

Comment

• wave-rice
        • Feb 2011
        • 5.5.x

Originally posted by parafieldtower
        Thanks. Can you advise whether the Page Manager feature as seen at the following is part of the CMS?

Aside from drag and drop, is there anything the Page Manager in vB5 can do and vB4 can't do? I'm looking for something that can serve as a WYSIWYG page editor. vB5 looks like provide this feature but not sure with vB4.
        The Page Manager isn't part of the CMS, rather part of the Site Builder that comes with vBulletin 5.

The Site Builder allows you to drag and drop components to build a customized page adjusted to your liking. vBulletin 4 doesn't come with a Site Builder and the only way to customize your site's pages is to dive in to the code. vBulletin 5 simplifies this greatly.
        Aakif Nazir

Comment

• steven s
          • Jul 2004
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by parafieldtower
          Hi, I'm still running vB3.7.3 on my site.
          Aside from running an old version of vB3, is there anything compelling you to move to vB4 or even vB5? It's not like vB3 had a CMS.

I have one site that is perfectly fine running v3. Another site that is fine running v4.
          Until there are mods/addons for v5, I wouldn't even consider updating.
          But that's me.
          ...steven
          www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
          bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
          "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• socceronly
            • Nov 2009
            • 3.8.x

It's been this long, just wait till they sort out 5.
            Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment

• parafieldtower
              • Oct 2005

The Site Builder allows you to drag and drop components to build a customized page adjusted to your liking. vBulletin 4 doesn't come with a Site Builder and the only way to customize your site's pages is to dive in to the code. vBulletin 5 simplifies this greatly.
              Okay so how does the publishing mode of vB4 is more comparable to the CMS part of vB5. But how is this different from the Site Builder? When I think CMS or vB4 publishing I thought there's no need to do anything related to code. People just type and write. No?

I need to move to vB5 because of a few reasons. Photos, Facebook, mobile connectivity, and also quite important for me is the ability to be able to utilize some sort of WYSIWYG web page editor. Thought the vB4 CMS offers this.

Comment

• rudedog1968
                • Feb 2004
                • 3.8.x

vB4's CMS is still broken after all these years and is not recommended by most people who have upgraded to 4 (while I have a vB4 lic I've still held off because of all the current issues with the CMS - main reason I purchased vB4 during the pre sale).

5, which is still in Alpha won't have the CMS and a bunch of other features you're looking for ready for a while after 5 goes gold. It's really confusing on how they're releasing a product with listed features that won't be implemented until a later date, if at all.

Also because you have to buy a new vB5 lic to get vB4, you get a new EULA,(restricting you to selling your lic and changing your domain of the site in the future) and ticket support for only 30 days. That alone should make you hold off until vB is ready for prime time. As mentioned above, you waited this long wait until vB5 is ready before spending your hard earned money.

Either way good luck.
                Not so Rude, Rudedog FPSadmin.com | twitter | Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 - Games for Windows

Comment

• parafieldtower
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by rudedog1968
                  vB4's CMS is still broken after all these years and is not recommended by most people who have upgraded to 4 (while I have a vB4 lic I've still held off because of all the current issues with the CMS - main reason I purchased vB4 during the pre sale).

5, which is still in Alpha won't have the CMS and a bunch of other features you're looking for ready for a while after 5 goes gold. It's really confusing on how they're releasing a product with listed features that won't be implemented until a later date, if at all.

Also because you have to buy a new vB5 lic to get vB4, you get a new EULA,(restricting you to selling your lic and changing your domain of the site in the future) and ticket support for only 30 days. That alone should make you hold off until vB is ready for prime time. As mentioned above, you waited this long wait until vB5 is ready before spending your hard earned money.

Either way good luck.
                  Wow so there are a lot of problems with the CMS?! Ouch. I bought vB4 suite when it was in beta and CMS was the biggest reason. Can't believe they are still have problems with it. What are the problems BTW? Are there any links you have so I can take a look at what some of these issues are? Thanks.

Comment

• rudedog1968
                    • Feb 2004
                    • 3.8.x

I'm not sure how to link to the tracker/Jira to show filtered results by CMS, confirmed, unresolved but there is a lot of them.

Not sure if this works but try this link
                    Not so Rude, Rudedog FPSadmin.com | twitter | Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 - Games for Windows

Comment