X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soniceffect
    • Feb 2005
    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by TheVisitors
    Assuming all available built in options for vBulletin 5 were turned on and fully being used, what would the database query total be?
    Its an impossible question to answer. I could add 300,000 search modules to the home page if I wanted and had the memory available (obviously that would be stupid but you get the idea). With the site builder its possible to build your homepage in any way you wish so its difficult to say.

Also bare in mind that there is a different number of queries depending on which page you are on within the site (ie. what is displayed). The 100+ figure you are talking about was true, however these have dropped a lot and continue to drop as we go through the betas, so asking the question now wouldnt actually give you an insight into the final result in gold tbh. The reality is the devs will get them as low as they can possibly be and the rest will be controlled by how much you decide to add to your pages via sitebuilder.
    Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

• TheVisitors
      Banned
      • May 2010
      • 4.1.x

Originally posted by soniceffect
      Its an impossible question to answer. I could add 300,000 search modules to the home page if I wanted and had the memory available (obviously that would be stupid but you get the idea). With the site builder its possible to build your homepage in any way you wish so its difficult to say.

Also bare in mind that there is a different number of queries depending on which page you are on within the site (ie. what is displayed). The 100+ figure you are talking about was true, however these have dropped a lot and continue to drop as we go through the betas, so asking the question now wouldnt actually give you an insight into the final result in gold tbh. The reality is the devs will get them as low as they can possibly be and the rest will be controlled by how much you decide to add to your pages via sitebuilder.
      Assume using only 1 of each feature that is pre-built into the product is turned on and in use; without any custom code or add-ons.

How many database queries would be used for 1 member to view both the index home, post a thread, view that thread, and view the forum in which that thread was inside of?

Comment

• In Omnibus
        • Apr 2010

I'd like to know what the point of the question is. This isn't sarcasm. It's an honest attempt to understand what it is you are actually asking. The odds that your server would be unable to handle the load of a typical vBulletin installation are nil.

Comment

• Super Cat
          • Jan 2005
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          Roughly... I can't guarantee that all betas will be released to the customer though. For instance beta 12 will probably never be released.
          That is good to hear and I never expect the next beta or built to be release ever in order. I've been with vB long enough to know that doesn't always happen. Those are just numbers.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
            • Jul 2008

Assume using only 1 of each feature that is pre-built into the product is turned on and in use; without any custom code or add-ons.

How many database queries would be used for 1 member to view both the index home, post a thread, view that thread, and view the forum in which that thread was inside of?
            No one can answer your question because VB5 is still being developed- the answer changes every time there is a new build.

Comment

• Loco.M
              • Mar 2005
              • 3.5.x

Originally posted by ProSportsForums
              I'd like to know what the point of the question is.
              I think I know
              -- Web Developer for hire
              ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• dougdirac
                • Jul 2012
                • 4.2.X

Mobile Suite and Facebook App were always intended to be separate products and the Mobile Suite will continue to be so.
                I thought I had read that part of the intention with vB5 was that it would work well with mobile browsers and not require some special mobile add-ons.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by dougdirac
                  I thought I had read that part of the intention with vB5 was that it would work well with mobile browsers and not require some special mobile add-ons.
                  VB5's main style uses "Responsive Design" so you should not need a separate mobile style with VB5.

The mobile app has other advantages over a mobile style such as the ability to upload images since Safari iOS doesn't allow the browser to upload images (may have bee changed in iOS6 but was true up until now anyway.) Some people prefer the look and feel of a custom app over a style.

Comment

• soniceffect
                    • Feb 2005
                    • 4.2.X

On which version? I'll be honest and say whatever answer your given will be completely meaningless since this is a specific item that is being worked on. If you like I could give you a random high number so that you can contemplate the implications of a number which will also not exist in the final release. It will be as useful as the actual number for any of the public betas.
                    Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                      • Aug 2000

The main point about queries is they aren't static. Two different installations of vBulletin 5 Connect can have different numbers of queries on each and every page depending on options turned on, widgets added to the page, options in the widgets, etc...

While work is being done to reduce queries, a more important metric is the number of resources loaded and page generation times. This will better convey overall load to your users. Those are things we're working on.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by dougdirac
                        Apps have lower bandwidth requirements but more storage requirements on the device than a web interface. The device only has to load the interface once and everything else is done through much smaller API calls. So there is a tradeoff of sorts. If you're on a metered bandwidth plan though, using an App will save you money as a user, even if it had a purchase fee.

Personally, I'd use the mobile style or responsive style if I was on WiFi but an App if I was on Cellular Data.

Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• tickedon
                          • Jan 2004
                          • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 3

The main point about queries is they aren't static. Two different installations of vBulletin 5 Connect can have different numbers of queries on each and every page depending on options turned on, widgets added to the page, options in the widgets, etc...

While work is being done to reduce queries, a more important metric is the number of resources loaded and page generation times. This will better convey overall load to your users. Those are things we're working on.
                          For new customers, I imagine you could give details of queries based on the default configuration of vB5?
                          Alasdair Stewart || SolidPHP, Inc - www.solidphp.com
                          # License, distribute and sell your PHP scripts - SPBAS licensing solution
                          # Does your licensing provider have over 5 years of experience?

★ STOP PRESS! Click here for my FAQ on the changes for existing customers

Comment

• brycea
                            • May 2012
                            • 4.2.X

Licensed For 4.2-Not For 5.0, About The Betas

RE: vBulletin 5 Connect Beta 11

I'm in a quandry, wondering if this new version as you call it, does or will have the capability for one to build their own custom pages. I have the forlorn 4.2 , Facebook App. VbSEO, and Publishing Suite, and don't know if I should commission someone to build some pages for me.
                            Last edited by brycea; Tue 2 Oct '12, 9:27am.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by tickedon
                              For new customers, I imagine you could give details of queries based on the default configuration of vB5?
                              They would be false though because a default install configuration doesn't represent a live site. It has one forum, low additional widget use and no additional content.

Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by brycea

RE: vBulletin 5 Connect Beta 11

I'm in a quandry, wondering if this new version as you call it, does or will have the capability for one to build their own custom pages. I have the forlorn 4.2 , Facebook App. and Publishing Suite, and don't know if I should commission someone to build some pages for me.
                                vBulletin 5 Connect has the ability to create custom pages.

Wayne Luke
                                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...