X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kjh411
    • May 2007
    • 3.7.x

Confused about upgrade?

I want to upgrade one of my sites from vbulletin 3.8x to 4.2. Given that I am ugrading an established site I definitely don't want to upgrade to the v5 beta.

So in the Members area I clicked Upgrade/Renew beside the site licence I want to upgrade and it takes me to a page titled "Purchase vBulletin 5 Connect or upgrade your current license"

There are two options, New Version $249 and Upgrade Version, $209

If I click upgrade version it shows me a page with a drop down titled "vBulletin 5 Connect License - Upgrade", but in the drop down it only shows the 2 vb4.x licences I own, none of the vb3.x licences.

So how do I upgrade a version 3.x to 4.x ?

PS. Disappointed that vbulletin don't have any volume licence discounts like almost every other software company
  • beishe8
    • Oct 2005
    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by kjh411
    I want to upgrade one of my sites from vbulletin 3.8x to 4.2. Given that I am ugrading an established site I definitely don't want to upgrade to the v5 beta.

So in the Members area I clicked Upgrade/Renew beside the site licence I want to upgrade and it takes me to a page titled "Purchase vBulletin 5 Connect or upgrade your current license"

There are two options, New Version $249 and Upgrade Version, $209

If I click upgrade version it shows me a page with a drop down titled "vBulletin 5 Connect License - Upgrade", but in the drop down it only shows the 2 vb4.x licences I own, none of the vb3.x licences.

So how do I upgrade a version 3.x to 4.x ?
    You cannot upgrade your license to 4 anymore.
    Can upgrade to 5 only.

With that license you may use 4.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• kjh411
      • May 2007
      • 3.7.x

Originally posted by beishe8
      You cannot upgrade your license to 4 anymore.
      Can upgrade to 5 only.

With that license you may use 4.
      That's absurd! The only current production version of vbulletin is 4, so I should be able to upgrade to that from the previous version.

No reputable software company would force it's customers to buy an incomplete beta version and remove the upgrade path to the current production version.

As a long time vbulletin customer with five licences I feel cheated.

I'm going to start looking for an alternative product from a company who actually values it's existing customers, unlike vBulletin!

Comment

• Super Cat
        • Jan 2005
        • 4.2.X

Wouldn't it be cheaper to upgrade to 5.0 anyway. I believe upgrade to 5.0 is $209, wasn't vB4 more to upgrade? I know it cost me $299 to purchase back in February. But I did get suite, maybe you're talking about forum only. But wasn't that price $195?

Comment

• captainslater
          • Jun 2006

You get the license to use vBulletin 5 Connect and every previous version including vBulletin 4 (Publishing Suite).
          There is also a discount of $25 until September 30th.

If you encounter troubles to upgrade your vB 3.x licenses please contact our sales team:

There is a discount for bulk licenses too, please check the FAQ.
          To infinity and beyond!
          Deutschsprachige vBulletin News & Tipps
          captainslater
          - Eine vBulletin Cloud-Site

Comment

• kjh411
            • May 2007
            • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Super Cat
            Wouldn't it be cheaper to upgrade to 5.0 anyway. I believe upgrade to 5.0 is $209, wasn't vB4 more to upgrade?
            I can't remember, but the last time I upgraded from 3 to 4 I bought the full suite so I'm not sure how much a basic upgrade was.

However, I can't upgrade from 3 to 5, so I am forced to buy the new 5 licence for $249, even though the product is still in beta and even though I want to upgrade to v4!

I understand buying a 5 licence will give me access to 4, but given that the production version of 5 hasn't been released yet, I believe I should be able to pay the upgrade price of $209 rather than paying $249 for a new licence .

In my opinion it is disgraceful that vBulletin have removed the option for their existing customers to upgrade from 3 to 4, when the next version, 5, is not ready for release yet. This is not normal practice for the software industry.

Comment

• Super Cat
              • Jan 2005
              • 4.2.X

I can't remember, but the last time I upgraded from 3 to 4 I bought the full suite so I'm not sure how much a basic upgrade was.

However, I can't upgrade from 3 to 5, so I am forced to buy the new 5 licence for $249, even though the product is still in beta and even though I want to upgrade to v4!

I understand buying a 5 licence will give me access to 4, but given that the production version of 5 hasn't been released yet, I believe I should be able to pay the upgrade price of $209 rather than paying $249 for a new licence .

In my opinion it is disgraceful that vBulletin have removed the option for their existing customers to upgrade from 3 to 4, when the next version, 5, is not ready for release yet. This is not normal practice for the software industry.
              Ok I understand, you can't pay upgrade price so it cost you the extra $40 and I really have no opinion on that because you didn't upgrade to 4.0 before. But still at $249 it is cheaper than I paid for a new 4.0 suite in February. I paid $299. So in that case you get a discount I didn't. If anyone should complain it should be me. I bought the presale which was terrible for over two years and didn't get discount for that and I bought it this year and didn't get a discount because they only go back to June.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

You should be to do so... However there is a bug currently preventing customers from upgrading their 3.8.X licenses. If you would calm down for a minute and breathe. Then read Dominic's post above you will see the steps to take to upgrade your 3.8.X license. Contact our sales department directly and they can upgrade you. Since you have at least three licenses, you can probably upgrade cheaper if you contact them.

We hope to have the shopping cart fixed for this soon.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment