Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sivaganesh
    • Oct 2010

vbulletin 4 publishing suite

I have vb4 publishing suite. If I buy new vb5 , can I sell old vb4 license ? I know vb5 is not transferable.
    | College student forum | Men beauty and Health Tips | Dress Forum [IPB] |

[For 6 Months] Unlimited vB Upgrades + $50 AWS CloudFront CDN (billed in my account) + vb.org Mod Installs - PM me. 2 Spots
  • beishe8
    • Oct 2005
    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by sivaganesh
    I have vb4 publishing suite. If I buy new vb5 , can I sell old vb4 license ? I know vb5 is not transferable.
    If you BUY vB5 (You will have vB4 and vB5) you can sell vB4.
    If you UPGRADE to vB5 (You will have only vB5) you cannot sell it.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• simonhind
      • Jan 2007
      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by beishe8
      If you BUY vB5 (You will have vB4 and vB5) you can sell vB4.
      If you UPGRADE to vB5 (You will have only vB5) you cannot sell it.
      i purchased V5 as upgrade and still have access to v4 suite, you can install only 1 on the same domain where it is licensed to run
      and from what i remember you are not allowed to sell your license on any of vBulletins forums, you will have to find a different way, after sale you will have to ask vBulletin staff to transfer the license to another vBulletin licensed used

and personally you should stick with v4 suite until V5 comes out of beta as their are bugs

Comment

• beishe8
        • Oct 2005
        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by simonhind
        i purchased V5 as upgrade and still have access to v4 suite
        Yes you have access to the vB4 files with a vB5 license but you cannot sell a vB5 license because of the new rules,
        and you cannot sell the vB4 license because you do not have it.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• sivaganesh
          • Oct 2010

Thanks. What about old FB app(bought 6 months ago)? are they transferable?

[For 6 Months] Unlimited vB Upgrades + $50 AWS CloudFront CDN (billed in my account) + vb.org Mod Installs - PM me. 2 Spots

Comment

• simonhind
            • Jan 2007
            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by beishe8
            Yes you have access to the vB4 files with a vB5 license but you cannot sell a vB5 license because of the new rules, and you cannot sell the vB4 license because you do not have it.
            yes thats true but he hasnt purchased it yet and would need to buy it for $249 and use the discount code

also it states here : https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...=1#post1994776
            Read This Before Purchasing a Second-Hand License

Note: At this time we are not allowing license transfers, please do not purchase 2nd hand licenses they cannot be transferred to you. The only exception is EU customers who must contact sales directly to transfer a license and there will be a $45 fee.

Comment

• sivaganesh
              • Oct 2010

@simonhind : I already own a vb4 suite, so it should adhere to old rules , right?

Comment

• simonhind
                • Jan 2007
                • 3.6.x

@simonhind : I already own a vb4 suite, so it should adhere to old rules , right?
                1) if you have upgrade vb suite/forum to vb5 then they suggest you install vb5 on a sub folder e.g. /vb5demo
                whilst VB5 is beta i would suggest using it for test purposes and using VB4 suite until VB5 is not in beta stage as it contains bugs

2) if you purchased VB5 as a full product whilst having VB4 Suite / Forum
                you will have to follow the rules here for selling a licence : https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...=1#post1994776

you can not sell a VB4 license if you have upgraded that VB4 license to VB5 as the license would not exist as you upgraded it

Comment

• sivaganesh
                  • Oct 2010

Im not from EU. So i can't sell my old vb4 license? WTF? why can't they make this rule only for vb5 ? or give us flat $100 or more discount . $285 to $40 discount . Pissed off!!

Comment

• Ace
                    • Apr 2004
                    • 4.2.X

Yes. As long as you don't upgrade it to vB5. If you do that, it takes on the new rules.
                    My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                    vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• sivaganesh
                      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Ace
                      Yes. As long as you don't upgrade it to vB5. If you do that, it takes on the new rules.
                      no.. i got a reply from Support ticket that No license are transferable [old or New - vb4/vb5] only EU customers can sell/transfer them...
                      Last edited by sivaganesh; Mon 17 Sep '12, 5:23am.

Comment

• Ace
                        • Apr 2004
                        • 4.2.X

no.. i got a reply from Support ticket that No license are transferable [old or New - vb4/vb5] only EU customers can sell/transfer them...
                        Where'd you mention anything about the actual technical stuff that has to be done to transfer them? You mentioned the 'Rules', which will not change unless the license is upgraded.
                        My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                        vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• sivaganesh
                          • Oct 2010

There is small change. At present, vbulletin doesn't allow any transfer of vb4 via their system. They will allow or new rules will be framed soon for existing license.

Comment

• Gerry5039
                            • Feb 2010
                            • 4.2.X

Im not from EU. So i can't sell my old vb4 license? WTF? why can't they make this rule only for vb5 ? or give us flat $100 or more discount . $285 to $40 discount . Pissed off!!
                            I am pissed off too buddy and I am from the EU, $40 discount to upgrade, this is a joke is it not. I bought vB4 3 months ago, I specifically asked when vB5 or if vB5 was anywhere on the horizon soon, "I got told we don't know" so I continued and bought my licence. I am so sorry that I did now. Why would anyone give up their vB4 licence at full price to lose it for a $40 discount on the upgrade. And then again pay full price for vB5 and a further 20% VAT on the top of that. And after upgrading at the full price having to pay a further $45 to transfer my vB4 licence. Guess what I don't think so.

I know in the EU we are protected with the licence at time of purchase, I don't know about the US, but when you purchase a licence here you are protected by law on changes to that licence, in other words, if we buy a vB4 licence at the old rules then that is binding on both parties until a new purchase is made, then the rules can be changed on upgrade just like a contract. Unlike in the US we are protected here on software aswell, it must be able and fit for the purpose it was purchased for, and as advertised.

Although I stay neutral about what has been going on here over the past 2 years, I now fully understand the mass exodus, and the reasons for it. I have both boards vB4 and IPB. But the old saying is so true here "Buy in haste, repent at leisure"

I know I for one will not be purchasing anything more from vB sorry.

Comment