X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdj
    • Jan 2009
    • 5.1.x

Question on adding additional blog to main site, but from different domain

I run vB4.2 latest release with the blog installed in the root of the site.

I'm considering adding an additional blog (as opposed to an additional blog category) either running from a different top-level domain, or from a sub-domain of the main domain.

Is this something I can do just by copying the main blog files in vB4 and installing as an additional plug-in? Or do I need a different site license?

(Reason being that I want all registered users to be able to use both blogs from a single login).

If I need two licenses, how easy is it to bridge two installations so that all registered users can use both?

PS: I've just got an answer to this here.

The answer was that I should use joomla.

Does anyone know of the availability of a way to bridge two vBulletin installations? I would have thought that was in vBulletin's interest because it might result in me purchasing an additional license or licenses? I would have thought the easiest way would have been to have installed a separate installation of vBulletin, just turn off the CMS and forum and run the blog on the separate installation. Seems odd that you can't bridge two versions of the same software.
    Last edited by jdj; Thu 13 Sep '12, 7:00am.
  • BirdOPrey5
    • Jul 2008

Questions about customizing like this should be asked on www.vbulletin.org.

Comment

• jdj
      • Jan 2009
      • 5.1.x

Have done...but I'm also interested in other solutions.

Originally posted by Joe D.
      Questions about customizing like this should be asked on www.vbulletin.org.
      I've posted there as well. What I'm looking for is a legitimate way to do this without infringing my site license. I'm also prepared to consider buying an additional license, so if there's a solution to this I would have thought it was in your interest to have it discussed here. I'd be very surprised if there's no way to bridge two versions of the same software.

Even if there isn't if you can use the navigation manager to achieve roughly the same effect then I'd consider that. So for example if you can customise one blog then use the navigation manager to highlight the customised blog the effect would be similar and might do for what I have in mind.

It's a reasonable question to be asking here.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
        • Jul 2008

There is no way to bridge vBulletin using built in features.

It may be possible using custom code but all custom coding should be discussed on vbulletin.org because there is no official support for such customization.

You would definitively need 2 vBulletin licences if you want any part of vBulletin installed on 2 different domains.

Comment

• jdj
          • Jan 2009
          • 5.1.x

There is no way to bridge vBulletin using built in features.

It may be possible using custom code but all custom coding should be discussed on vbulletin.org because there is no official support for such customization.

You would definitively need 2 vBulletin licences if you want any part of vBulletin installed on 2 different domains.
          Thank you. And the answer to the question on the navigation manager? Does that require custom code? To add a tab with settings that hook out one particular blog category, or blog contributor?

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
            • Jul 2008

The navigation manager allows you to create custom tabs and even highlight custom tabs when pressed but I fail to see how it would work across domains. Users would need to register twice, once at each site, at a minimum.

Perhaps the separate domain could be accomplished through some sort of URL rewriting and a second parked domain. Some type of rewrite rule if 'blog' us in URL use different domain... may still be cookie issues though.

Comment

• jdj
              • Jan 2009
              • 5.1.x

And on the same domain...?

The navigation manager allows you to create custom tabs and even highlight custom tabs when pressed but I fail to see how it would work across domains.
              So if what I originally wanted to do isn't possible and instead I settle for customising a blog on the same domain, perhaps setting up a new category is there any way I can highlight this using the e-x-i-s-t-i-n-g navigation manager, with no custom code, simply by changing the settings in the navigation manager? I.e. can I set a tab in the navigation manager which will call up specific content from the blog just by changing the settings for that new tab in the navigation manager?

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                • Jul 2008

For the navigation manager you can highlight a tab either by a script name (which would be the same for all blogs) or by tab id. Tab id works only any one page but the limitation is it only highlights when you click on the tab in the navbar to get there. If you browse to it via any other link the tab won't be highlighted.

Comment

• jdj
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 5.1.x

For the navigation manager you can highlight a tab either by a script name (which would be the same for all blogs) or by tab id. Tab id works only any one page but the limitation is it only highlights when you click on the tab in the navbar to get there. If you browse to it via any other link the tab won't be highlighted.
                  Thanks. So I can't highlight a particular blog that way, using the navigation manager.

I know that there are widgets available for the CMS that can pull up recent blog posts. So would it be feasible to do it that way? Using a widget but instead of pulling up recent blog posts, pull up posts of a certain category or by a certain user id? Or can the activity stream do it? After all, the activity stream is personalised in the user profile...that's pulling out content from a particular user. So something in this software must be able to look at the blog and just deliver a particular type of content.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                    • Jul 2008

OK... "Widgets" only work in the CMS, but there is a blog widget where you can specify blogs from specific users and/or specific categories and/or specific tags... So if setup right you could list only chosen blogs.

On the "Blogs" product itself you have the option to list "featured" specific blog entries.

And you can highlight a specific blog but only if the user clicks on it from the navbar itself, not if they browse to it some other way.

Things like editing the activity stream to show it in blogs or editing existing code that is there is customizing code which brings us back to the realm of vBulletin.org.

Comment

• jdj
                      • Jan 2009
                      • 5.1.x

OK... "Widgets" only work in the CMS, but there is a blog widget where you can specify blogs from specific users and/or specific categories and/or specific tags... So if setup right you could list only chosen blogs.

On the "Blogs" product itself you have the option to list "featured" specific blog entries.

And you can highlight a specific blog but only if the user clicks on it from the navbar itself, not if they browse to it some other way.
                      Thanks. That might work for what I need. Where would I find this blog feature or these blog features?

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                        • Jul 2008

In the VB4 Publishing Suite, in the Admin CP there is a setting on the side menu "vBulletin Blog" you expand it and the available settings/options are there.

Comment

• jdj
                          • Jan 2009
                          • 5.1.x

In the VB4 Publishing Suite, in the Admin CP there is a setting on the side menu "vBulletin Blog" you expand it and the available settings/options are there.
                          Yes I've seen that setting thanks but there's no explanation of what it does and the vB4 manual has disappeared. (Reason for that is here).

So in the absence of any other information my best guess on the basis of what you've said on this thread is that this feature must work with a widget. If that's true, where do I find the widget and what's it called?

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                            • Jul 2008

There is a direct link to the 4.2.0 manual in that thread that should definitely work: https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html?...rsion=40200602

Even the regular link the manual *should* work (it works fine for me) I see a drop down box to choose the manual version. If you don't see that I suggest clearing your cookies/temp files and trying again- or Hold down SHIFT while refreshing the page.

But like I said Widgets only work in the CMS so if you want a widget in the CMS then yes you'd go the CMS and create a widget.

If you want to feature blogs you go to the vBulletin Blog settings and click on Featured Blogs.

At this point we have left the realm of pre-sales questions and entered support- please create a thread in the support forums if you need additional help.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...