X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DirtRider
    • Apr 2009
    • 4.2.X

VB5 New Site

I presently own a VB4 forum and am now looking at starting a new forum possible using VB5. The following items are going to be my show stoppers if not available in VB5. I don't particularly want to set this new forum up using VB4 and then have to upgrade a few month down the line.

What I will be looking at are
    1. The normal forum functions. I don't see this being an issue in VB5
    2. A fully functional CMS. As I understand this will be added at a later date, but when?
    3. A fully functional gallery as the VB4 one is really nothing special and a 3rd party one is normally needed here.
    4. Mobile integration. Right now VB4 does not have a very good mobile integration or skin, so 3rd party items are normally used here such as Tapatalk
  • wave-rice
    • Feb 2011
    • 5.5.x

2. No details about when CMS will launch have been released but you can read this to get an idea: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...-Release-Plans

3. In the same thread, it says how the Photo Gallery has been improved so you may want to look in to that.

4. vBulletin 5 Connect will be optimized for mobile use so I don't think you'll have a problem there.
    Aakif Nazir

Comment

• DirtRider
      • Apr 2009
      • 4.2.X

Thanks I had read that before and the mails on VB5 that I am getting so yes I see all is supposed to be available at some time. If I had to purchase VB5 on release could I run VB4 until such time as VB5 does cover all the features that I am looking for?

Comment

• beishe8
        • Oct 2005
        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by DirtRider
        ... I see all is supposed to be available at some time. If I had to purchase VB5 on release could I run VB4 until such time as VB5 does cover all the features that I am looking for?
        It could take a long time on vB4...but yes,you can use vB 4 on a vB5 licence as long as you like.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• DirtRider
          • Apr 2009
          • 4.2.X

Ok then at least I know I would not be in for further cost if I do go this way

Comment

• wave-rice
            • Feb 2011
            • 5.5.x

Originally posted by DirtRider
            Thanks I had read that before and the mails on VB5 that I am getting so yes I see all is supposed to be available at some time. If I had to purchase VB5 on release could I run VB4 until such time as VB5 does cover all the features that I am looking for?
            Yes. When purchasing a vBulletin 5 license, vBulletin 4 will be shipped with it so you'll be able to use vBulletin 4 until you think vBulletin 5 is up to scratch and meets your needs.
            Aakif Nazir

Comment

• DirtRider
              • Apr 2009
              • 4.2.X

Great stuff thanks for the info

Comment

• wave-rice
                • Feb 2011
                • 5.5.x

You're very welcome.
                Aakif Nazir