Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GeorgeB
    • Nov 2008

Vbulletin 5 Connect

Since this is Vbulletin 5.0, does that mean, we are basically going to be buying a brand new license for this?
    George Beale
    www.millenniumcapitalgroupllc.com - Investment company | www.recyclingbootcamp.com - Where recyclers can come to network with one another! | www.viprecycling.com - Scrap Metal, Junk, & Electronic Recyclers! | www.biddingextreme.com - Online Auction Site |
  • smirkley
    • Feb 2008

Isnt that the point?
    You own a v4 but want a v5?

ummm,...duh?!

Comment

• simple
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by GeorgeB
      Since this is Vbulletin 5.0, does that mean, we are basically going to be buying a brand new license for this?
      good question ..... after forking out a couple of hundred pound on the new version 4. which is currently at 4.2 then receiving a email regarding v5 does this mean that it will be jumping straight to v5 at some point ???? making v4 a bit of a red herring or will it be continued to be supported with updates upto v4.9 etc Version 3 of vbulletin was around a while before V4 came along and now the mention of version 5 so early does raise the question

Comment

• GeorgeB
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by smirkley
        Isnt that the point?
        You own a v4 but want a v5?

ummm,...duh?!
        I did not ask for a smart alleck remark. I asked a simple question. If you want to respond like that, do me a favor next time, and dont.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by simple
        good question ..... after forking out a couple of hundred pound on the new version 4. which is currently at 4.2 then receiving a email regarding v5 does this mean that it will be jumping straight to v5 at some point ???? making v4 a bit of a red herring or will it be continued to be supported upto v4.9 etc
        The screen shots I received via email seem very promising, but yeah, I agree.

All I know is, if that is the case, it will be quite a while before I do upgrade.
        George Beale
        www.millenniumcapitalgroupllc.com - Investment company | www.recyclingbootcamp.com - Where recyclers can come to network with one another! | www.viprecycling.com - Scrap Metal, Junk, & Electronic Recyclers! | www.biddingextreme.com - Online Auction Site |

Comment

• smirkley
          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by GeorgeB
          I did not ask for a smart alleck remark. I asked a simple question. If you want to respond like that, do me a favor next time, and dont.
          Dont expect that from me. Seriosly.

Next question?...

Comment

• simple
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by smirkley
            Dont expect that from me. Seriosly.

Next question?...
            smirkley .... you do come across rude . I could see what Georgeb meant but maybe you cannot see past that chip on your shoulder it is a support forum where people come to ask questions for help and info not for smart arse replys

GeorgeB likewise I also wont be making the jump for sometime

laters

Comment

• Loony BoB
              • Sep 2003
              • 4.2.X

I too am interested in knowing this. vBulletin 3 lasted over five years before vB4 was released, and when it was announced that vB4 would come with a rather significant one-time-payment, it is reasonable for people to expect that their purchased product will be around for about the same amount of time. So with vB4 not even three years old and vB5 already being flaunted in front of our faces, I would say that this could lead to a rather massive turn-off when it comes to continuing to deal with vBulletin for our forum software, despite using it since 2000. I hope to continue using it, personally, and vB5 does look great, but it is difficult justifying it to the owners (we have 'silent owners' who we tell what we need and they say if they are happy to put up the cash, but don't get involved any further than advertisement placement on top of that - lucky for us they're extremely reasonable people). I hope that either vB5 is a work in progress not scheduled for release for at least a year beyond now, or else that vB4 owners will be given the option to upgrade for free (or at least at an extremely lower cost).
              Eyes on Final Fantasy Forums - An Online Community of Final Fantasy Fans
              Eyes on Final Fantasy (Site) - The Most In-Depth Final Fantasy Site Online

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

I think its a bit unrealistic to expect vBulletin 4 to last anywhere near as long as vBulletin 3 did.

The first vBulletin 3 public preview was in 2002
                The first stable release of vBulletin 3, was in 2004
                3.5 (which could have been called vb4) was released in 2005
                3.6 was released in 2006.
                3.7 was released in 2008
                3.8 was released in 2009.

Did you really expect to get 4 years worth of software updates again for a one time purchase?
                You've received 3 years of updates to vBulletin 4, and we're not stopping vbulletin 4 development once vB5 is released, you'll likely get at least another 12 months out of it (that is the plan today).
                No one is going to force you when vB5 comes out, to buy vB5. We're not stopping vB4 support either.

Comment

• Mark.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 6.0.X

To my mind the big mistake made with the 3.x series was at 3.5. This was in fact a major change to the code, (many mods broke too), and this should really have triggered a version change to 4.0, ideally with a variation on the style.

What we now know as 4.0 would have been 5.0, and we would now be awaiting 6.0.

When thought of in that light, the timescales become a lot more realistic.
                  MARK.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  ------------
                  My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                  My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• grey_goose
                    • Sep 2009
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Zachery
                    I think its a bit unrealistic to expect vBulletin 4 to last anywhere near as long as vBulletin 3 did.

Did you really expect to get 4 years worth of software updates again for a one time purchase?
                    Did you really expect customers to expect otherwise?

Why would looking at the previous life cycle be "unrealistic"? Why would we not "expect" what we got before?

I get that we don't have to buy 5. That's cool. Condescending bull**** replies telling current customers that they're being unrealistic and have pie-in-the-sky expectations isn't.

We're not the ones being unrealistic. Check yourself.

...especially when you're offering a product that currently looks dated and inferior to two others.

Comment

• Mark.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 6.0.X

Originally posted by simple
                      good question ..... after forking out a couple of hundred pound on the new version 4. which is currently at 4.2 then receiving a email regarding v5 does this mean that it will be jumping straight to v5 at some point ???? making v4 a bit of a red herring or will it be continued to be supported with updates upto v4.9 etc Version 3 of vbulletin was around a while before V4 came along and now the mention of version 5 so early does raise the question
                      Where do you get the idea that a major forum version such as 4.x must continue to 4.9 and then stop? That's not how software development works. The major version changes when the development cycle reaches that point.

3.x only got to 3.8 because it skipped past 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 and 3.4.

Would you have been satisfied if 4.1 had been called 4.5, and 4.2 had been called 4.8?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by grey_goose
                      We're not the ones being unrealistic.
                      Yes you are.
                      MARK.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      ------------

Comment

• grey_goose
                        • Sep 2009
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
                        Yes you are.
                        Using version numbers versus actual time cuteness aside, what's this? Just a "nuh uh"? Are you going to tell me your dad can beat up my dad next?

Of course I'm going to take that oh-so-compelling statement about what's realistic for how I should spend my money as a universal truth.

Score one for PR & Marketing

Comment

• Mark.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          • Feb 2004
                          • 6.0.X

Originally posted by grey_goose
                          Using version numbers versus actual time cuteness aside, what's this? Just a "nuh uh"? Are you going to tell me your dad can beat up my dad next?

Of course I'm going to take that oh-so-compelling statement about what's realistic for how I should spend my money as a universal truth.

Score one for PR & Marketing
                          Firstly, I think you need to lose the attitude. You won't impress anyone here speaking like that.

Secondly, I'm simply letting you know how software development works. That's the way it is.

As has been stated, vB 3.5 should really have been called 4.0 given the major code changes it had. The then-owners did not do that. Didn't really matter back then as the licensing system worked differently.

As things stand you're going to have had around four years of active development out of a vB4 licence. Don't see how that's unrealistic at all.
                          MARK.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          ------------

Comment

• Ramsesx
                            • Aug 2005
                            • 3.8.x

The point is, the existing license model is bad for the late buyer. Means, all customers who bought a license this year or in the last 12 months made a bad deal if vB5 is coming as expected in this year.
                            Best and a fair move would be a compensation based on the time a vB4 license was bought. For example, bought vB4 3 month before vB5 gets a free upgrade, 6 months = 70% off, 9 months = 50%, 12 months = 30%.
                            Last edited by Ramsesx; Sat 1 Sep '12, 11:17am.

Comment

• Super Cat
                              • Jan 2005
                              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Ramsesx
                              The point is, the existing license model is bad for the late buyer. Means, all customers who bought a license this year or in the last 12 months made a bad deal if vB5 is coming as expected in this year.
                              Best and a fair move would be a compensation based on the time a vB4 license was bought. For example, bought vB4 3 month before vB5 gets a free upgrade, 6 months = 70% off, 9 months = 50%, 12 months = 30%.
                              I can live with that. The forum I want to upgrade to 5.0 isn't the one I had the longest.

Let's just forget about 4.3 and call in 4.9.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...