X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • potocki99
    • Nov 2006
    • 3.6.x

Upgrading to Suite from VB 3.8

I have two weeks to transition our old forums to VB Suite due to our server upgrading their PHP and our VB is wayyy out of date.

I am very nervous about doing this so I am coming here for input on how to proceed. Is two weeks a reasonable time frame? The site owner wants very minimal down time - how am I supposed to accomplish that? The main website is wordpress - can I move all those posts over?

Input needed please!
  • BirdOPrey5
    • Jul 2008

You can get a basic forum upgraded in a day if you're not dependent on custom mods and styles.

Very few 3.x mods are compatible with 4.x, so you will need to do some research on which ones are or just remove them all before you upgrade.

No 3.x styles are compatible with 4.x, any styles you have will be disabled and you will have the VB4 default style after upgrading.

Importing from Wordpress into the vBulletin CMS is limited- only articles, no comments. There is also a bug that needs to be manually fixed as described here:

You may consider keeping Wordpress if you're happy with it.

Comment

• potocki99
      • Nov 2006
      • 3.6.x

I kind of figured I would have to start from scratch, design wise. We are wanting the website to be based off vb - right now, the website (wordpress run) is the main domain, and the forums reside in .com/forums. Would it be better to first create the entire thing in a subfolder, them move it once it is in place, or what? Just not sure the best way to proceed that will offer the least down time.

Comment

• wave-rice
        • Feb 2011
        • 5.5.x

Yes, it'd be wise to either create it in a sub-folder or try it on a local test server. That way you can test to see if it'd work and to stamp out any bugs. If you decide to do it in a sub-folder you can simply adjust the vBulletin settings and move the files to where you need them. If you did it on a test server of somesort, you'd need to re-trace your steps on the live site.
        Aakif Nazir

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...