X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoKeRxbLaCk
    • Aug 2012
    • 4.2.X

vBulletin 4 to vBulletin 5 questions

Hi guys, i'm very interested to buy forum license only for vBulletin 4.2.0, but my question is i have to pay anymore when vbulletin 5 will be release?how much? what's the release date of vbulletin 5? thank you!
  • wave-rice
    • Feb 2011
    • 5.5.x

If you purchase a vBulletin 4.x license now, you'll need to pay an upgrade fee to vBulletin 5 when it drops later this year. It is completely optional to upgrade to vBulletin 5.

As stated before vBulletin 5 will be released sometime this year however no pricing details have been released so no one knows for sure yet.
    Aakif Nazir

Comment

• andrewyb
      • May 2012
      • 4.0.x

Can you say what features might be added in vBulletin 5?

Comment

• JoKeRxbLaCk
        • Aug 2012
        • 4.2.X

ok, how much i've to pay the fee to upgrade? usually how much is?

Comment

• stevectaylor
          • Aug 2007
          • 3.6.x

Makes no economical sense. So from now until then your going to get few new licenses as people will wait. Why not from say today those that take out new will get free upgrade then you don't run a financial limiting period awaiting VB5?
          Holiday Forum
          Motor Car Forum
          Political Forum
          Web Hosting Forum

Comment

• Loco.M
            • Mar 2005
            • 3.5.x

Originally posted by andrewyb
            They are posted around the web, a few threads in the forums.
            I've been trying to post everything public on this blog, vBulletin 5 Connect.
            -- Web Developer for hire
            ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• wave-rice
              • Feb 2011
              • 5.5.x

Originally posted by andrewyb
              As of yet, the features that have been announced for vBulletin 5 Connect can be found in the threads below:

Originally posted by JoKeRxbLaCk
              ok, how much i've to pay the fee to upgrade? usually how much is?
              At this time, yes you'll need to pay a fee to upgrade to vBulletin 5 Connect however because no pricing details have been released, I cannot tell you exactly how much the fee will be.
              Last edited by wave-rice; Wed 29 Aug '12, 7:18am.
              Aakif Nazir

Comment

• FundooZone
                • Aug 2006

I wanted to upgrade from 3.8 to 4. Will it be possible if i wait for 5 and directly upgrade my forum from 3.8 to 5?

Comment

• Zachery
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Jul 2002

Yes.

Comment

• Alfa1
                    • Dec 2005
                    • 3.8.x

I remember a customer who bought a vb3 license just a week or two before vb4 became available for sale. He had to pay twice and received no refund.
                    I buy 420 forums

Comment

• wave-rice
                      • Feb 2011
                      • 5.5.x

Originally posted by Alfa1
                      I remember a customer who bought a vb3 license just a week or two before vb4 became available for sale. He had to pay twice and received no refund.
                      No, I think you'll find that no one forced him to upgrade to vBulletin 4 straight after purchasing vBulletin 3. So, no one forced him and he didn't have to pay twice. He chose to.
                      Aakif Nazir

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                        • Aug 2000

Did he ask? Steve was fairly liberal with refunds back then for people who purchased right before the sale. Unfortunately, there isn't anything we can do about it now though.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Alfa1
                          • Dec 2005
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Aakif Nazir
                          No, I think you'll find that no one forced him to upgrade to vBulletin 4 straight after purchasing vBulletin 3. So, no one forced him and he didn't have to pay twice. He chose to.
                          I respectfully disagree with you. Its logical that a customer wants to run the latest version.
                          But that's besides the point. My point is that there is always a risk that someone chooses to buy a software version and then soon after, a new major version may come out and another license fee needs to be paid.

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                          Did he ask? Steve was fairly liberal with refunds back then for people who purchased right before the sale. Unfortunately, there isn't anything we can do about it now though.
                          Yes, AFAIK he did. But rootsxrocks has posted that he is at peace with the ordeal though. So its water under the bridge in that respect. It just serves as a warning that things like this can happen.
                          I buy 420 forums

Comment

• GamerPerfection
                            • Feb 2006
                            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by stevectaylor
                            Makes no economical sense. So from now until then your going to get few new licenses as people will wait. Why not from say today those that take out new will get free upgrade then you don't run a financial limiting period awaiting VB5?
                            It's not that simple though. If they start saying those that buy vB4 now will get a free (or cheaper) upgrade to vB5 upon release then they are basically sticking their fingers up at their existing customers who previously bought vB3/vB4. Doesn't matter whether they bought it a year ago or a week ago, they still paid the money for it. If you did this then you'd be opening a can of worms.

The best thing these guys can do is put a clearly visible display on the front page promoting the release of vB5 coming soon. Then the new customer can make their own personal decision to buy vB4 or wait. No-one is forcing them to buy vB4 or upgrade to vB5. They have a decision to make and they should act on it and decide for themselves.

I respectfully disagree with you. Its logical that a customer wants to run the latest version.
                            I respectfully disgree. There are many, many people that never upgraded to vB4. So no, it's not logical, logic has nothing to do with it.
                            http://www.gamerperfection.com/images/gp-bar.png http://www.gamerperfection.com/images/facebook-32.pnghttp://www.gamerperfection.com/images/twitter-32.pnghttp://www.gamerperfection.com/images/youtube-32.png

Comment

• Mark.B
                              vBulletin Support
                              • Feb 2004
                              • 6.0.X

It's not even *sensible* to always run the latest version.

You have to evaluate each version.

Currently it's sensible for me to run the latest version of vB4. Earlier in the series it was sensible for me to run an earlier version of vB4 than the then-current version. Even earlier still it was sensible for me to not run vB4 at all but to run vB3.
                              MARK.B
                              vBulletin Support
                              ------------
                              My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                              My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...