Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CRAIG@VM
    • May 2012

second hand licence

hi im lookin at buying a second hand vb4 licence (cant afford a new 1 but really want vb) i asked him if i could confirm with vb and he said this
    "vB will tell you it's not transferable but all we have to do is switch the email address via tech support." is this ok or would he just be able to change it back at a later date even if i change passwords he said It's been transferred once
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

I would not suggest that at all. I have seen too many people get their license then stolen back after that has happened. *They* are the one with their name on the license and they may ask for any changes they wish to the license. You would not have your name on the license and if any problem occurs, you would not be considered the legal owner.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Gomjaba
      • Jan 2005
      • 3.5.x

Easy to find out whether he really intends to sell the license or not. Ask him to get in contact with vBulletin Support and request an official license transger - which is possible. He will then have to answer a bunch of questions to make sure he is the righful owner (full address / name, what type of license, how did he pay and when did he pay). It can take a few weeks but if all is in the rght order - the license will be transfered to you.

There will always be a risk to pay for a license before it has been transfered to you.
      I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol like some thinkle peep I am!

Comment

• FreshFroot_
        • Jul 2005
        • 3.8.x

Take my advice... don't buy from that guy, he sounds like a scammer.

Comment

• beishe8
          • Oct 2005
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Gomjaba
          Ask him to get in contact with vBulletin Support and request an official license transger - which is possible.
          Seems the transfer is impossible:
          vB will tell you it's not transferable

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• liamwli
            • Feb 2012
            • 4.2.X

He says it has been transferred before....

In the vB Terms it says it can only be transferred once, so yes, vB will say it isn't legit, as such - I SUGGEST NOT TO USE IT.

He could easily re-ask vB to change the email back to his after you're done, saying that he forgot the one he used. And the customer number will be the same, so he could login easily, unless you changed the password - but like I said - he only has to ask vB.

Comment

• Lynne
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Oct 2004

Even if the password gets changed, he can just say he forgot it.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
              vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
              Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
              If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• WhatChaMissin
                • Apr 2005
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by CRAIG@VM
                hi im lookin at buying a second hand vb4 licence (cant afford a new 1 but really want vb) i asked him if i could confirm with vb and he said this
                "vB will tell you it's not transferable but all we have to do is switch the email address via tech support." is this ok or would he just be able to change it back at a later date even if i change passwords he said It's been transferred once
                You asked a question and got a pretty clear answer from Lynne.

If you can't afford a vB license at full price try saving up for one and therefore eliminating any risk. If buying one at full price is not possible due to financial or time restraints, then you owe it to yourself to reduce the amount of risk involved when purchasing a second hand license. You can start by finding another seller. I usually see a vB license for sale (without it being already transferred) almost every time I visit the handful of admins sites I know. In fact I was able to buy a couple of second hand licenses from members that I recognized from here on vB, so it's not impossible to get a second hand license safely, you just have to apply some caution and common sense.

Good luck!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...