Company wants to put Vbulletin in their name?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zeliwin
    • Jul 2012

Company wants to put Vbulletin in their name?

Hey all,
    Basically I am hiring a company to create my Vbulletin and intergrate it with my website they are also creating.
    Only issue I see is that they insist of putting it in their Companies name so they can get the discount for being a Vbulletin affiliate. But they said they will register it under my website.

Is this a good idea? How will this effect my forums in the long term if I decide to change web address, or if the company shuts down would I have to purchase a new license?

Any suggestions help!
    -Zeliwin
  • BirdOPrey5
    • Jul 2008

This is a bad idea. Even if legal, which I am not sure it is depending on their relationship with vBulletin, we allow only 1 license transfer during the life of the license. If it is licensed to them it will waste the 1 license transfer you have to get it into your name, assuming they ever allow that to happen. You will be left with the license that you can never sell or transfer again.

If it is going to be your site make sure everything is in your name from the start. Domain, hosting, and vBulletin license.

Comment

• wave-rice
      • Feb 2011
      • 5.5.x

Also, if the company does unexpectedly shut down and not transfer the license to you, that license is gone and you'd need to purchase a new one. If they transfer it to you, you won't be able to re-sell it.

Like BOP5 said, it's better if you purchase your software in your own name to protect yourself and also to ensure it is yours for the life of the product.
      Aakif Nazir

Comment

• Loco.M
        • Mar 2005
        • 3.5.x

This "company" can still give you their affiliate link to purchase vBulletin. You should purchase it yourself so you have full control.
        -- Web Developer for hire
        ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• Matthew Gordon
          • May 2002
          • 1.1.x

If you are paying for something, make sure it is in your name, otherwise it isn't really yours.

Comment

• AdrianH
            • Sep 2007

Simple, find another company to do the work for you after you have bought your own license.

Comment

• beishe8
              • Oct 2005
              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Zeliwin
              Only issue I see is that they insist of putting it in their Companies name so they can get the discount for being a Vbulletin affiliate. But they said they will register it under my website.
              Today it's registered under your website yourwebsite.com ,tomorrow they can change the URL to be mywebsite.com.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• whitey10tc
                • Jan 2011
                • 4.0.x

If you're buying it, it's yours license it in your name. If they're an affiliate and you purchase through their link they should still make the money. If they still persist find a new developer.
                www.cdmagurus.com
                www.cellphone-gurus.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...