X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zero477
    • Jan 2012

Should I wait for vBulletin 5 relase to buy vBulletin

Hello everyone,

Should I wait for vBulletin 5 release to buy the software or it does not matter?

Greetings,
    Eddie
  • Andy
    • Jan 2002
    • 4.1.x

I suggest purchasing vB4 now. You will be able to upgrade to vB5 when it comes out. It might be some time before vB5 is a usable product.

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

I would also say go with vB4. It's a solid stable product.

There will be an upgrade path to vB5 when it comes out but it's release is not 'imminent' and vB4.2 will still be fully supported even when it does.

I will say now, there is still no better platform to build a successful community on, than vB4.2.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• GHST
        • Dec 2006
        • 4.1.x

Should I wait for vBulletin 5 relase to buy vBulletin

Depends on your current situation and needs.

Comment

• wave-rice
          • Feb 2011
          • 5.5.x

Like GHST said before me, it depends on your situation, fianancially mostly. vBulletin 5 probably isn't anywhere near completion and you could be waiting months on end before it's release date is even announced. If you need a vBulletin forum as soon as possible, you might as well invest in vBulletin now.
          Aakif Nazir

Comment

• selfsufficientme
            • Jul 2012

Hi,

I have the same question as zero477 (if I may ask) and I understand the replies stating vBulletin 5 might be some way off.

However, if I was to purchase the full suite now and then 5.0 was released, say, 3-4 months down the track will I need to fork-out several hundred dollars to upgrade or is there a period of time to allow free upgrades (to a new platform) for relatively new licence purchases?

If there isn't any free upgrade period (eg 6 months or less from purchase) than I'll hold off until vBulletin 5 is released and get it then - I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Comment

• Dustin L.
              • Mar 2011
              • 4.2.X

I doubt it will be several hundred dollars to upgrade, but I also doubt there will be any free upgrade-period. If I'm honest, I'd say that it'll be a nominal fee to upgrade.

Dustin
              http://quikmsg.net/strtoupper/ - Convert lowercase text and code to all uppercase!
              http://quikmsg.net/strtolower/ - Convert uppercase text and code to all lowercase!

Comment

• feldon23
                • Nov 2001
                • 3.7.x

I would be surprised if vB5 is less than a $100 upgrade from vB4. Probably closer to $150.

Comment

• Alfa1
                  • Dec 2005
                  • 3.8.x

vbulletin 5 is said to be released somewhere this year. Its unclear when exactly or if it will be usable at release. Its also unclear what the price or the license structure will be.
                  So its a big gamble.
                  The upgrade fee from vb3 to vb4 suite was 135 in the presale. I doubt that it will be lower for vb5.
                  I buy 420 forums

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                    • Jul 2008

There is no official announcement on what it may cost to upgrade. Impossible to predict right now.

Comment

• socceronly
                      • Nov 2009
                      • 3.8.x

Just get it now.

As stated above 4.2 is a good product. Whatever it costs for the upgrade, it will be worth spending that time learning and building your community now.
                      Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment

• Mark.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        • Feb 2004
                        • 6.0.X

With 4.2 you will be purchasing a solid dependable product that can be configured in a multitude of ways. The code base is well known and reliable. There's no reason to hold off for vB5 at this time, vB5 will come in due course and there will be upgrade options available should you decide you want to do that.

MARK.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        ------------
                        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• MRGTB
                          • May 2005

Originally posted by Mark.B
                          With 4.2 you will be purchasing a solid dependable product that can be configured in a multitude of ways. The code base is well known and reliable. There's no reason to hold off for vB5 at this time, vB5 will come in due course and there will be upgrade options available should you decide you want to do that.

Wow Mark! You've sure changed your tune, you creeping for a staff job or something, or been brain washed? You never used to shut up putting vBulletin down on hundreds of other sites for many years.

Comment

• selfsufficientme
                            • Jul 2012

I think you guys have convinced me to go 4.2 and upgrade later when 5 comes out - I see the commonsense in not wasting time growing my community and if the upgrade isn't imminent or shouldn't likely cost the best part of a new licence, I should probably act now.

All your input is appreciated, thanks. Time for me to get my arse into gear and build a community

Comment

• feldon23
                              • Nov 2001
                              • 3.7.x

Originally posted by BirdOPrey5
                              There is no official announcement on what it may cost to upgrade. Impossible to predict right now.
                              6 months before the vB4 presale, pricing info and license terms were leaked. Then we were told "All of that info was preliminary and under revision". The presale hit, and everything we saw in the leak was implemented verbatim.

So while I have no way to prove it, I'm fairly certain that in a hidden subforum, the price and terms of vB5 have been laid out in draft form.

Comment