X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oxfordmark
    • Sep 2014

Can your forum software...

Hello

I currently use Proboards, just looking at other services for the future. Id like to know:

Can stop certain boards/threads from appearing in a "recent post" list, almost ignoring the board. Is this a user preference of something done globally for the forum?
    Can you add features like block a user, "like" or "dislike"?
    Can you insert your own ad coding into the forum?
    I do not have any hosting, so would be looking at the cloud option. When going through the checkout for the , i get options for:
    vBulletin 5 connect (isnt this the manually hosted version?)
    vBulletin 5 connect + Mobile Suite bundle (why do i need to buy connect and the mobile suite?)
    vBulletin Cloud (isnt this what i am purchasing anyway?)
    How much extra is getting a mobile app?

I may have more questions,

Cheers
  • BirdOPrey5
    • Jul 2008

On VB4 you can exclude forums for sure by applying &exclude and a list of forumids to the search strong. On VB5 I'm not 100% sure- hopefully someone else can confirm.

vBulletin has an "Ignore List" that hides posts from users on it. VB4 has a reputation system that allows both positive and negative comments. VB5 only allows likes, but either can be extended with custom modifications.

Yes you can put in your own ads

vBCloud means you must use VB5 and you cannot use any add-ons or modifications so you will be limited to just "Likes."

vBulletin 5 Connect = Download version

Mobile Bundle = VB5 Download version + Mobile Suite. Mobile suite allows you to create custom iOS and Android apps that connect to your forum. The Mobile Suite is not available for vBClouid- Mobile users can still use your site, however only with their web browser- not a dedicated app.

The Mobile Suite is $199 is purchased separately but if you go with vBCloud then it is not an option.

Check out a feature comparison between VB5 Connect and vBCloud- http://www.vbulletin.com/en/vbcloud-features

Comment

• oxfordmark
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Joe D.
      On VB4 you can exclude forums for sure by applying &exclude and a list of forumids to the search strong. On VB5 I'm not 100% sure- hopefully someone else can confirm.

vBulletin has an "Ignore List" that hides posts from users on it. VB4 has a reputation system that allows both positive and negative comments. VB5 only allows likes, but either can be extended with custom modifications.

Yes you can put in your own ads

vBCloud means you must use VB5 and you cannot use any add-ons or modifications so you will be limited to just "Likes."

vBulletin 5 Connect = Download version

Mobile Bundle = VB5 Download version + Mobile Suite. Mobile suite allows you to create custom iOS and Android apps that connect to your forum. The Mobile Suite is not available for vBClouid- Mobile users can still use your site, however only with their web browser- not a dedicated app.

The Mobile Suite is $199 is purchased separately but if you go with vBCloud then it is not an option.

Check out a feature comparison between VB5 Connect and vBCloud- http://www.vbulletin.com/en/vbcloud-features

Thanks for the reply.

What is the reasoning for not being able to include any add-ons and mobile quite with the cloud version?

Will this change?

Comment

• beishe8
        • Oct 2005
        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by oxfordmark
        What is the reasoning for not being able to include any add-ons and mobile quite with the cloud version?

Will this change?
        #1 You cannot reach the files without FTP access.(Upload an addon)
        #2 Not likely.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• glennrocksvb
          Former vBulletin Developer
          • Mar 2011
          • 5.7.X

Not allowing third-party add-ons on vBCloud is mainly for security reasons.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
            • Jul 2008

Right now there are no plans for it to change.

If anything was to change it would be to allow the Mobile Suite to work with vBlCloud. Allowing the install of 3rd party add-ons will basically never happen in a cloud environment.

Comment

• gjessing
              • Apr 2013

Can the forum do
              upload images and rate them ( like simplemachines.org )
              have calendar (like in simplemachines.org )
              members can upload images .?

Comment

• Mark.B
                vBulletin Support
                • Feb 2004
                • 6.0.X

There's no rating system for individual images.
                vBCloud / vB5 has no calendar.
                Members can upload images to the forum.
                MARK.B
                vBulletin Support
                ------------
                My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                  • Jul 2008

VB4 has a calendar.

Comment