Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dianalee4jc
    • Jun 2012

Security for forum

Hello! I'm interested in starting a forum for a writers group. We're currently using Yahoo Groups, and one of the things we like about it is that only members of the group can view the content, and the capability of uploading document files in a secure location. Security is probably our number one concern with forum software. Aside from the fact that only registered (and approved!) members can access the full features of the site, we want all content to be invisible from non-members. (This is because we'll be critiquing each others writing, and want to block access to people outside the group.) A lot of forums I've visited have posts visible to everyone, but non-members aren't able to participate. Does vBulletin software allow for even greater security, making ALL content invisible to non-members?

Also, I'd like to know more about file sharing through the forum. Is this done by attaching files to posts? Are these files absolutely secure against access by non-members?

Thanks!
  • wave-rice
    • Feb 2011
    • 5.5.x

Using permissions, you are able to choose what non-members can and cannot view on your Forums. You are given the flexibility of managing each and every usergroup's permissions and choosing what they can see and what they cannot.

It is possible to only grant users access to the content on your forums after you have verified them. Until that, you can hide everything from them while they wait for someone to verify their membership.

File Sharing can be done through attachments and also through third party modifications which add more features and control over how files can be shared.
    Aakif Nazir

Comment

• dianalee4jc
      • Jun 2012

Could you please explain what you mean by "third party modifications?" Does that mean someone with a lot more technical expertise than I have would have to manipulate the software?

I'm okay with attachments... that might actually be easier for the members to handle. I just want to know as much as I can before I spend money on a program.

In general, how easy is this software to install? Can a non-tech-savvy person such as myself figure out how to get it running?

Thanks for your help!

Comment

• donald1234
        • Oct 2011
        • 4.1.x

Third party modifications are add on software developed by company's or people other than vbulletin. more info on this can be found here. http://www.vbulletin.org

Comment

• dianalee4jc
          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by donald1234
          Third party modifications are add on software developed by company's or people other than vbulletin. more info on this can be found here. http://www.vbulletin.org
          Ah. Well, we probably won't have access or funds for any add ons. As long as we can attach .doc files to the posts, that should be sufficient (and also easier for non-techy members to handle). Thanks!

Comment

• donald1234
            • Oct 2011
            • 4.1.x

the user developed mods on vb.org are all free. there are comecial plugins from vbseo vbadvanced etc. that cost $$$

Comment

• wave-rice
              • Feb 2011
              • 5.5.x

Originally posted by dianalee4jc
              Could you please explain what you mean by "third party modifications?" Does that mean someone with a lot more technical expertise than I have would have to manipulate the software?

I'm okay with attachments... that might actually be easier for the members to handle. I just want to know as much as I can before I spend money on a program.

In general, how easy is this software to install? Can a non-tech-savvy person such as myself figure out how to get it running?

Thanks for your help!
              Third party modifications are created by companies or individuals who are capable and knowledgeable of programming techniques and how to code under vBulletin. Modifications can alter the way the forum software works to enhance it's performance or add features not in the core of the software. Most modifications are free and can be obtained from here: vBulletin.org

When vBulletin is purchased, included in the package is a document that walks you through on how to install the software. As well as this, the vBulletin Manual is an online source which provides an extensive resource of information on how you can get the most out of your vBulletin installation and also walks you through the installation process and if need be, the upgrading process too. It covers practically everything related to vBulletin.

Finally, if you still cannot get it going, vBulletin.org has a section where you are able to 'Request for Paid Services' with which you are able to hire a technical person or someone capable to install the software for you and get everything up and running.
              Aakif Nazir

Comment

• liamwli
                • Feb 2012
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by dianalee4jc

Thanks for your help!
                Hello. vBulletin is easy to install - very easy. Just upload, and your there! If you do not want to do it, you can pay an extra £120 ish to have a vbulletin technical person do it for you.

I had my forum set up so that if you weren't logged in, you couldn't see any content. Just use the permissions feature to 'Deny All' to the unregistered usergroup.

You can also set it up so you can close registrations - the admin has to make the accounts

I think you would like vB. And the mods are great! Very useful

Mods at http://www.vbulletin.org are free, so you do not have to worry about getting more money.

If you really wanted, you could ask someone to help set the forum up for you.

Liam

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...