Can the vBulletin Board Interconnect With Another vBulletin Board?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vashnik
    • Aug 2006

Can the vBulletin Board Interconnect With Another vBulletin Board?

Let's say someone (we'll say his name is Bob) has two licenses. Bob wants to use the same database, but different subdomains.
    Bob installs Board Alpha to boarda.example.com. That same Bob decides to install Board Beta (because of the second license) to boardb.example.com.
    Can Board Alpha share it's users with Board Beta, without those users re-registering on the new forum? Example: One account, for each installed board on the database.
    While sharing the users between the two boards, can Board Alpha maintain independent categories and forums from Board Beta, so that Board Beta can focus discussions on other topics? Example: Board Alpha will focus on Sony (gaming, devices, etc) while Board Beta can focus on Microsoft (gaming, devices, etc).
    The two examples together: UserAlpha registers on Board Alpha, and UserBeta registers on Board Beta. UserAlpha logs in on Board Beta without registering on Board Beta because of the existing Board Alpha account. UserBeta logs in on Board Alpha because of the existing Board Beta account.

Was this too confusing or did I explain this well enough to be understood?
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

There is a beta addon at www.vbulletin.org that allows you to run multiple sites off a single database. It is called Cerebus and can be found here:
    Major Additions - CERBERUS: 1 vB4: runs multiple domains with custom styles, forums, universal login vBulletin 4.x Add-ons

However what you are describing directly is not offered in the software at this time.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Vashnik
      • Aug 2006

Thanks for the response. Basically, you need a mod for this to work at the moment.

Also, based on your closing sentence, am I correct in saying that vBulletin may feature this in the future (or they are at least considering this for the future)?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Vashnik
        Also, based on your closing sentence, am I correct in saying that vBulletin may feature this in the future (or they are at least considering this for the future)?
        May... I don't know of any specific plans or timeframes at this time though.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...