X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BGL
    • Jun 2012

Is vB5.0 going to be XenForo 1.2?

I've been shopping forum software (vB, XenForo, IPB).

I like the look and feel of XenForo and was gearing up to buy it, had a list of must have add-ons (if they weren't included in the new version). There's a really nice CMS front page app. Also was lining up a XenForo contractor to do the work.

But there's some talk that vB5 announcement at ForumCon.com is of brand new product which is based on XenForo. If that is the case, would the existing add-ons most likely work?
  • ENF
    • Apr 2002

Originally posted by BGL
    But there's some talk that vB5 announcement at ForumCon.com is of brand new product which is based on XenForo. If that is the case, would the existing add-ons most likely work?
    Some talk? From where?
    To be updated...

Comment

• BGL
      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by ENF
      Some talk? From where?
      Some speculation on settlement scenarios on the XenForo forums.

Comment

• ENF
        • Apr 2002

Originally posted by BGL
        Some speculation on settlement scenarios on the XenForo forums.
        Yeah, I've read all of that too. Just all speculation from all of us on the sidelines watching.

There are things that XF and VB do, both good and bad. All we can do is wait and see what they unveil next week.

If VB5 is new from the ground-up, I suspect that things will not carry over so easily and possibly not at all, without a complete rewrite (of the mod/skin). If it's a rehash of vB4, then it's just a Yugo with a new coat of paint, to put it lightly. (My point is, vB5 should be a fairly substantial step-up from vb4 regardless of whether it mirrors XenForo or other currently available software.)
        To be updated...

Comment

• BGL
          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by ENF
          whether it mirrors XenForo or other currently available software.)
          Not mirrors but IS XenForo 1.2. Rather than vB write a whole new product, in effect buy XenForo as a settlement on their lawsuit. vB needed a new product and XenForo is what vB4 was likely going to be from what I understand of the history.

Comment

• ENF
            • Apr 2002

Originally posted by BGL
            Not mirrors but IS XenForo 1.2. Rather than vB write a whole new product, in effect buy XenForo as a settlement on their lawsuit. vB needed a new product and XenForo is what vB4 was likely going to be from what I understand of the history.
            Then, it's a step backwards then. It would be unusable, unless the development had been drastically accelerated which equals a sloppy product.

I think it's just going to be a wait and see kind of situation. We're not moving off vb3 or vb4 until there's a truly solid reason to do so. These other boards that have been fip-flopping between IPB, XF, VB and other free boards, I can't imagine how their users feel.
            To be updated...

Comment

• beishe8
              • Oct 2005
              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by BGL
              Sad that they cannot confirm or deny because the whole XF site is down.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• ENF
                • Apr 2002

Originally posted by beishe8
                Domain is expired, that is all.

To be updated...

Comment

• joeychgo
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by beishe8

They let the domain expire it seems.....
                  Building my Automotive Forum Network...
                  Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum - Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum

Comment

• AdrianH
                    • Sep 2007

Typical internet rubbish. vB5 has been in development for a long time now. How people dream these things up or seriously believe them is beyond me ..........

Comment

• Quillz
                      • Nov 2004
                      • 5.0.X

Originally posted by joeychgo
                      They let the domain expire it seems.....
                      Kind of surprised they'd let that happen, but I'm sure it will be back up in due time.
                      Forums

Comment

• AdrianH
                        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Quillz
                        Kind of surprised they'd let that happen, but I'm sure it will be back up in due time.
                        It is back and auto renewal was set but failed it seems.

Comment

• MRGTB
                          • May 2005

Originally posted by AdrianH
                          It is back and auto renewal was set but failed it seems.
                          Hmm, can't really say I buy into that one being honest. Just my own opinion, maybe they didn't have funds there to pay for auto renewal, but thought they had?

Comment

• AusPhotography
                            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by BGL
                            That is the best April 1st joke I've every seen... wait its not April 1st ??
                            environment: Centos 6.9, Apache v2.4.25, PHP 5.6.30/xCache, MariaDB 10.22 -- vB5 Connect Licensed

AusPhotography - Australia's Premier Photographic Forum vB4.2.3
                            Rick (site owner) and Kym (site tech) sharing this account

Comment

• baerwurz
                              • Jan 2006
                              • 3.8.x

Bring all of your affiliate revenue efforts in one place while building an engaged audience through valuable shopping content.

Where do you read that vb will be based on xenforo?

You know that IB and Xen are on lawsuit?
                              Onlinekredit | Fussball | Fußball Community

Comment