X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pyroarchy
    • Jun 2012
    • 4.1.x

Users do not have forum access?

Hey I dont run a forum Im just a user, Im having a hard time finding a place where just the users can ask questions. Just trying to figure out how to add a animated gif signature when IMG BB Code & Upload Images is disabled BUT upload animated gif as signature is allowed. Its nice and all you try to fight pirating by having the support forums locked but for the actual users of the software (not the owners or people running it) its very fustrating. And yes I have searched the internet for this problem with no results for the certain filters and rules allowed in signatures.

Thanks for the help.
  • Thunderbird
    • Jan 2010
    • 4.2.X

If you are asking about another site that runs a vBulletin forum, you should ask the people in charge of the site.

Comment

• pyroarchy
      • Jun 2012
      • 4.1.x

Yea I did, they do not have much knowledge of the problem and could care less. I looked through the help files and manual and cannot find out how to utilize this "Upload animated gif as signature - Yes" feature. Its a shame there is'nt a place where the actual users can talk with others about how to use the features...

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

You can use that feature if the administrator enables you to, that is all.

Comment

• pyroarchy
          • Jun 2012
          • 4.1.x

Well I can see I wont get any help from anyone here...btw phpbb > vbulletin ;-)

Comment

• Ace
            • Apr 2004
            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by pyroarchy
            Well I can see I wont get any help from anyone here.
            Well spotted.

Nobody here can tell you how to turn on an option that a site's admin has turned off.
            My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
            vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• pyroarchy
              • Jun 2012
              • 4.1.x

Well if "Allow Image BB Code - No" and "Can Upload Images for Signature - No" and "Can Upload Animated GIF for Signature - Yes" are set then how would one utilize a animated gif? Upload to profile gallery then somehow insert it into the signature? Im guessing the admin has disabled some options that were needed by the option I'm asking about to work (Can Upload Animated GIF for Signature - Yes). Users can see the signature permissions, I assure you I'm not running this software.

Comment

• Ace
                • Apr 2004
                • 4.2.X

They might have enabled it temporarily to allow somebody to have one, or they were adding one directly from the AdminCP.

You need to ask them why, or to change it. There's no way for a non-admin to change those settings.
                My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                  • Jul 2008

Yea I did, they do not have much knowledge of the problem and could care less.
                  I assume you mean they couldn't care less...If they don't care about their forum or their users, go to another forum.

Comment

• AdrianH
                    • Sep 2007

Well if "Allow Image BB Code - No" and "Can Upload Images for Signature - No"
                    Gives you your answer very clearly doesn't it, plain as day you ARE NOT ALLOWED images in your signature.

Comment

• pyroarchy
                      • Jun 2012
                      • 4.1.x

I can put 2 and 2 together fine as any of you can, just wondering what the use of having animated gif allowed but images not? Seems like having someone say "you can have a gif signature but we wont let you use it via image bb code or image upload. I was just questioning the appropriate route to use a animated gif signature as its allowed. Does anyone comprehend what I mean? I will post a picture of the permissions I see if it helps, yes it seems illogical to have image bb code not allowed and image upload for signature not allowed but animated gif for signature allowed, indeed the owner of the forum probably does not know much about this. My conclusion is that if image bb code = no and image upload as signature = no then they both void out "Can Upload Animated GIF for Signature - Yes" permission.

Comment

• Zachery
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Jul 2002

Thats how the permissions work. An administrator on whatever site you're on has configured them to their own liking. You really cant do anything to change it short of asking them. We can't provide you any support because you're not a customer, and not even the administrator who can change things.

Comment

• Gunshot
                          • May 2005

I can put 2 and 2 together fine as any of you can, just wondering what the use of having animated gif allowed but images not? Seems like having someone say "you can have a gif signature but we wont let you use it via image bb code or image upload. I was just questioning the appropriate route to use a animated gif signature as its allowed. Does anyone comprehend what I mean? I will post a picture of the permissions I see if it helps, yes it seems illogical to have image bb code not allowed and image upload for signature not allowed but animated gif for signature allowed, indeed the owner of the forum probably does not know much about this. My conclusion is that if image bb code = no and image upload as signature = no then they both void out "Can Upload Animated GIF for Signature - Yes" permission.
                          not really

the image bbcode generally relates to links, while "upload" stores images in a folder or the database.
                          The bottomline is forum members are a precious asset (mostly) and you should be treated as such on that site
                          I would move on to someplace you are appreciated

Comment

• Final Kaoss
                            • Nov 2006

This is "pre-sales" question forum. The only topics that should be posted here are those pretaining to pre-purchasing vbulletin. What you need to do is go to the site that you are having issues with and Private Message a Moderator or an Admin on that site.

Hey I dont run a forum Im just a user, Im having a hard time finding a place where just the users can ask questions. Just trying to figure out how to add a animated gif signature when IMG BB Code & Upload Images is disabled BUT upload animated gif as signature is allowed. Its nice and all you try to fight pirating by having the support forums locked but for the actual users of the software (not the owners or people running it) its very fustrating. And yes I have searched the internet for this problem with no results for the certain filters and rules allowed in signatures.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                              • Aug 2000

Thanks for the help.
                              I am sorry but we simply cannot provide support to the end-users of various forums. It would be nice if we could but we do not have access to or control individual customer forums. There are hundreds of settings and dozens of permissions that intermingle in every setup that we couldn't even begin to solve end-user issues without this access and control. Even when Site Owners come to us for help, we frequently need to ask for this access to resolve issues.

Your best course of action is to talk to the site owner. If they can't help they can come ask us questions. If they don't provide support, then you'll need to forget these changes or find another community to visit.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...