Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DTA308
    • Mar 2012

Newbie question

Hi, I'm new to this and wanted to ask if there is a "dummies for beginners" section?

I belong to a forum that is run by vbullten and wanted to have my own forum just for my immediate friends. I dont know alot about software and things to that nature but I got a basic idea from using that forum for a few years.

I read some of the stickeys to get a basic idea but some things looks more like I need to know some computer stuff with codes etc.

So I guess my question is, do I need 2 things to run vbullten? Meaning I have to get first a dot com site from let's say go daddy? And then I run vbullten off that dot com?

Thanks for any help.
  • beishe8
    • Oct 2005
    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by DTA308
    So I guess my question is, do I need 2 things to run vbullten? Meaning I have to get first a dot com site from let's say go daddy? And then I run vbullten off that dot com?
    #1 Domain name (Yes,can be Go Daddy)
    #2 Hosting (Can be Go Daddy but not recommended)
    #3 vBulletin software

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• DTA308
      • Mar 2012

Originally posted by beishe8
      #1 Domain name (Yes,can be Go Daddy)
      #2 Hosting (Can be Go Daddy but not recommended)
      #3 vBulletin software
      Thanks for the response.

So I need a hosting site? Missed that one.

What would you or vbulletin recommend instead of go daddy? I understand if you can't post it. Maybe a PM?

Thanks

Comment

• GHST
        • Dec 2006
        • 4.1.x

Newbie question

There is no one right choice for hosting, just what is right for you. How much do you want to spend. How big do you hope it will grow? Things to think about

Comment

• DTA308
          • Mar 2012

Originally posted by GHST
          There is no one right choice for hosting, just what is right for you. How much do you want to spend. How big do you hope it will grow? Things to think about
          I see. I'm not going to have it for a business. More like chat site for my personal friends that I can invite. Talk about cars etc and be able to post pictures. Things like that.Thanks

Comment

• Super Cat
            • Jan 2005
            • 4.2.X

I see. I'm not going to have it for a business. More like chat site for my personal friends that I can invite. Talk about cars etc and be able to post pictures. Things like that.Thanks
            Sound like you may need to look at a free forum software site because it doesn't look like you are expecting many members on your site. I don't know what version of vB that site is running but in many vB forums they have such things as groups. You could break off from that forum and make a group there for your immediate friends. You may check into that if that forum offers groups.

Comment

• Hattie94
              • Mar 2012

I dont know alot about software and things to that nature but I got a basic idea from using that forum for a few years.

Comment

• DTA308
                • Mar 2012

Thanks for the idea folks.
                I like and I'm used to the vbulletin software so I might try it.

Comment

• Octavius
                  • Jul 2010
                  • 4.2.X

Thanks for the response.

So I need a hosting site? Missed that one.

What would you or vbulletin recommend instead of go daddy? I understand if you can't post it. Maybe a PM?

Thanks
                  I use urljet. They are great.
                  www.8thos.com

Comment

• feldon23
                    • Nov 2001
                    • 3.7.x

If you are trying to pick a host, check the Hosting forum here at vBulletin.com and also WebHostingTalk.com.

A basic webhost that can run vBulletin should cost you $8-12 a month.

You're looking for Linux type hosting (not Microsoft), with PHP and MySQL.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...