X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sinsational
    • Mar 2012
    • 4.1.x

What I need and am looking for

First is there an age requirement to buy Vbulletin? I am 16 years old, my own debit card/checking account. I just didn't know if this was one of those "18 or older" type of things.

I have been doing a lot of looking and shopping around via google looking for the best software...Do I go free? Do i go paid? And I decided to go paid...And I decided i wanna go paid but I am stuck. I'd like to buy tonight and start setting up tonight. I am interested in Vbulletin but i have heard a lot of bad, mixed reviews so i figured i may as well pop in and ask. Xenforo caught my eye based on how attractive it is but i tried the demo and it was just very basic and limited....i have more features with SMF.

1. A nice "like" or reputation system(similar to Xenforo)...I am not sure what features Vbulletin has for this and IPB i think just introduced the like format

2. A store Modification that uses points where members can buy virtual stuff....Like stupid stuff or even buy name changes, special ranks, colors etc.

3. is there a moderator control panel similar to the admin panel? Is there a way to limit certain people to certain actions in the admin panel? I love the fact on IPB, I can limit my mods and admins from doing certain things.

4. Social Networking integration...How good is it?

5. Most importantly...I am looking for a good shoutbox for Vbulletin. Either Paid or free.
    I don't want a shoutbox...those are two different things.

My other big thing is....What are some big, popular boards that are using Vbulletin? I'mm a member of 2 vbulletin boards and while they are quite popular, tbh they are not attractive to me at all and I want to make sure that there are good themes/boards that are using Vbulletin.

Can you post any links of some nice boards?

Is there a way to speed up a Vbulletin board? For instance this one and others I visit, often feel rather slow and takes a bit of time to load up to post my posts.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

To enter any legal contract in the US, and most countries, you need to be a considered an adult, which would be 18.

You go with what you think will best suite your community and your needs.

1. We have a reputation system, its the sherrif badge icon on your post, its not a "like" system.

2. That is a third party addon, vBulletin.org would have more info, if its available.

3. Yes, however almost all moderator functions can be done inline. There is a permission system for both moderators and administrators.

4. vBulletin by default has facebook intergration, not anything else at this time.

5. Third party addon again.

Speed really depends on your host, your own connection, and what all is being displayed on every page.

Comment

• Sinsational
      • Mar 2012
      • 4.1.x

Okay, i'll just have my dad buy and give him the cash back. But the license would be in his name right? I mean it's my site but it is in his name? DOes it ask for dob or social security or anything like that?

I dont see the sherrif badge thingie. Is there a way to screenshot it so i can see it?

Also is there an alerts feature? That is about the only thing besides the likes system that i actuallyy cared for out of Xenforo so it be great if there is something similar with vbulletin.

And also could you recommend some big boards i could check out?

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

You can purchase it in your name (I believe) with his consent, as long as he understands he might be legally responsable for you/your actions via the software until your 18.

We don't ask for anything like that, in theory if you have a credit card, or paypal account, you can purchase the software.

Big boards?
        forums.digitalpoint.com
        www.mmo-champion.com

Comment

• Sinsational
          • Mar 2012
          • 4.1.x

Okay!

And as far as the "Sherrif badge" reputation thing you said. What does it look like?

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

See the icon below my post, next to the ! icon

Comment

• Octavius
              • Jul 2010
              • 4.2.X

WTF? I don't remember seeing a sherrif's badge before. How long has it been there?
              www.8thos.com

Comment

• digitalpoint
                • Mar 2004
                • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Octavius
                WTF? I don't remember seeing a sherrif's badge before. How long has it been there?
                It's been there forever. Although I certainly would argue that the sheriff's badge might not be the best image for letting users know they can give rep.

While still not ideal, I changed ours to a "thumb" a long time ago... seems more intuitive since people are used to the whole "Like" concept these days.

Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
                Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

• Mark.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 6.0.X

The sheriff's badge has been there throught 4.x, in 3.x it used to be a sort of "scales of justice" icon. neither are ideal and DP's thumbs one is better.

There are instructions on vbulletin.org for how to adapt the rep system into "Like", similar to XenForo, using an addon. Worth doing in my opinion - rep has had its day.

As for buying the software - if you've got your own debit card just buy it. Who's to know?
                  MARK.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  ------------
                  My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                  My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Zachery
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Jul 2002

You gave me an idea. I'll see what I can suggest into the software with some new images, I think there is something ideal in famfamfam silk.

Comment

• Octavius
                      • Jul 2010
                      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by digitalpoint
                      It's been there forever. Although I certainly would argue that the sheriff's badge might not be the best image for letting users know they can give rep.

While still not ideal, I changed ours to a "thumb" a long time ago... seems more intuitive since people are used to the whole "Like" concept these days.

Oh okay I remember this icon now. I used to think it was a report icon, even though the report icon is right next to it lol.
                      Originally posted by Mark.B
                      The sheriff's badge has been there throught 4.x, in 3.x it used to be a sort of "scales of justice" icon. neither are ideal and DP's thumbs one is better.

There are instructions on vbulletin.org for how to adapt the rep system into "Like", similar to XenForo, using an addon. Worth doing in my opinion - rep has had its day.

As for buying the software - if you've got your own debit card just buy it. Who's to know?
                      I prefer the scales of justice to the sherrifs icon. I also prefer it more than the Like button that is similar to Facebook. I say Facebook because their like button came before Xenforo. The like button as a free modification cane for vbulletin before xenforo to be even more specific.
                      Originally posted by Zachery
                      You gave me an idea. I'll see what I can suggest into the software with some new images, I think there is something ideal in famfamfam silk.
                      Speaking of ideas, the like button is popular but not as awesome as a post rating feature like DarkImmortals that was featured on a vbulletin forum called facepunch.com http://facepunch.com/ and is now also a paid mod on xenforo. I think it would be great if you featured a very basic version of that. For instance a 'like' and 'gtfo' button. lol
                      www.8thos.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...