Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gajinoz
    • Oct 2011

Upgrade to publishing suite.

I'm relatively new to the forum thing, at least as far as running one and especially vb so allow me a little slack for some idiot questions.

I'm currently running vB4, all is good.

If I want to upgrade to the publishing suite, how does this work? Can it be done without disturbing the current forum in any way? Does the extra stuff just sort of tack itself onto whatever is already there or am I going to have to make changes to or overwrite the current forum in some way?

If somebody, maybe somebody who has done exactly this, could give me a bit of a rundown on what happens if you upgrade an existing installation that would be great.

Thanks.
  • Scott
    • Apr 2001
    • 3.7.x

I upgraded two 3.8.x sites to the suite and all went smoothly.

Just follow the instructions, back up all your files and database before the upgrade.

Comment

• wat3v3r
      • Jun 2008
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by gajinoz
      I'm relatively new to the forum thing, at least as far as running one and especially vb so allow me a little slack for some idiot questions.

I'm currently running vB4, all is good.

If I want to upgrade to the publishing suite, how does this work? Can it be done without disturbing the current forum in any way? Does the extra stuff just sort of tack itself onto whatever is already there or am I going to have to make changes to or overwrite the current forum in some way?

If somebody, maybe somebody who has done exactly this, could give me a bit of a rundown on what happens if you upgrade an existing installation that would be great.

Thanks.
      Just upload the new files of the suite and run the upgrade process, that should be all. If you keep the forum version same, then it shouldn't modify your current setup a lot either.

Comment

• gajinoz
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by wat3v3r
        Just upload the new files of the suite and run the upgrade process, that should be all. If you keep the forum version same, then it shouldn't modify your current setup a lot either.
        OK, I was wondering about that. Currently I've got version 4.1.7 forum. If I get the publishing stuff do I need to upgrade the forum first before installing the new stuff or will that happen when I install it?

Comment

• beishe8
          • Oct 2005
          • 4.2.X

Currently I've got version 4.1.7 forum. If I get the publishing stuff do I need to upgrade the forum first before installing the new stuff or will that happen when I install it?
          Would you like to play it safe?
          Upgrade just the forum then buy and upgrade to the Suite.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• gajinoz
            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by beishe8
            Would you like to play it safe?
            Upgrade just the forum then buy and upgrade to the Suite.
            Yes, that's probably what I'll do, I just wasn't sure if installing the upgrade would automatically upgrade the forum at the same time.

Comment

• beishe8
              • Oct 2005
              • 4.2.X

I just wasn't sure if installing the upgrade would automatically upgrade the forum at the same time.
              It does upgrade it but I said "play it safe".
              Any problems with upgrading the forum? Relatively easy to fix,after that there is a smooth upgrade to the Suite.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...