VB vs IP?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J1mmy
    • Feb 2006

What I meant is that you can sign up for a demo where you will be allowed to download the software and install it on your own server for a number of days. This would be like buying the software as it gives you an all-access pass across the software for you to ensure that its what you're after.

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by J1mmy
      What I meant is that you can sign up for a demo where you will be allowed to download the software and install it on your own server for a number of days. This would be like buying the software as it gives you an all-access pass across the software for you to ensure that its what you're after.
      Their website doesn't seem to implly that you can.

Comment

• Alfa1
        • Dec 2005
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Pandemikk
        From a developer stand point, IPB is terrible for making modifications. I have tried to make a simple SOTW mod, something that would take me no more than a few hours of dedicated work on vB, and it took me the an entire day just to find out how to even get started. The documentation is terrible, the developer tools are virtually non-existent, and there's no work I can judge off of because it seems everyone has their own way of making it work. Gave up on IPB coding after the first day and stuck to vB, where the plugin and product system is easy. Maybe if they made it easier to make third-party add-ons there would be more of them- and of better quality.

I found the look and feel confusing. For example, if you're banned from a forum it doesn't explicitly tell you this, it just gives you a generic could not log you in error. The ability to customize your forum is difficult.

I don't know. Maybe this stuff has been fixed as of late. But to me, IPB is not worth its price.
        Which version of IPB did you try? I know that they have been improving their plugin system significantly in IPB 3.2 which seems to have a positive effect on the number of new addons.
        I agree that some functions makes little sense when you are used to these working well in vb. But it goes the other way around as well. Once you are used to IPBs notifications grid and report center, it becomes highly annoying that vbulletin does not have such basic functionality.
        I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Paul K
          • Jun 2010

I like the default style / user interface of IPB better, but you can change this of course in vBulletin too, it'll only be more work.

On the other side, I must say, I like vB's feature set and how easy it was to build a system around it. + The facts named in the first post.

In summary: I would go for vB

Comment

• J1mmy
            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Zachery
            Their website doesn't seem to implly that you can.
            This the link.

But as mentioned before, seems to be full, I guess its a matter of time before they are released again. Nevertheless its possible

Comment

• beishe8
              • Oct 2005
              • 4.2.X

This the link.

But as mentioned before, seems to be full, I guess its a matter of time before they are released again. Nevertheless its possible
              What I meant is that you can sign up for a demo where you will be allowed to download the software and install it on your own server for a number of days.
              I don't think that you can download the software and install it on your own server.
              It is installed on their server,you can use it for a few days.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Pandemikk
                • Apr 2009
                • 3.7.x

This the link.

"Get a free 5 day hosted demo installation containing all of our downloadable products, and see what our suite can do for your community."

"
                What restrictions are there?
                Some functions that would allow access to the database or file system are disabled in the demo. We don't provide FTP access for demo installations, so some freedom you'd have with a full installation will be unavailable. Unfortunately, we're unable to offer a private demo of IP.Chat at this time. Apart from these minor restrictions, your demo is fully functional. "

Are you lying to try to make IPB look better or are you just seriously incapable of understanding English language?

@Alan, it was maybe a year ago. So probably a < 3.0 board.
                Rap Battles & Hip Hop Music - LyricalThreats

Sure glad he's former staff. Didn't even bother to validate my license

Comment

• azorgi01
                  • Jun 2012
                  • 4.2.X

Originally posted by TheVisitors
                  Much of what you are looking for is already incorporated in vBulletin, with future plans to incorporate the remaining. In the mean time, there is already free add-ons that can complete the rest for the time being.

On a side note.... There is also a free (open source) skin to make vBulletin look like IPB 3.1 and another skin in development to make vBulletin look like IPB 3.2 / 3.3 (also free and open source)
                  Where can I find this?

Comment

• Dustin L.
                    • Mar 2011
                    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by azorgi01
                    Where can I find this?
                    http://quikmsg.net/strtoupper/ - Convert lowercase text and code to all uppercase!
                    http://quikmsg.net/strtolower/ - Convert uppercase text and code to all lowercase!

Comment

• ndL
                      • Oct 2007

If i had a time machine or someone would offer me to change the vb and ip licences, i would do it without a doubt.

Comment

• sowup
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2012
                        • 4.2.X

Well like, come on.
                        Are you been serious?... You would radar vb of IPB?. (and i'm talking about the new IPB, IPB3.2-3.3.X)...

Comment

• Ace
                          • Apr 2004
                          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by sowup
                          Well like, come on.
                          Are you been serious?... You would radar vb of IPB?. (and i'm talking about the new IPB, IPB3.2-3.3.X)...
                          I'm not sure about IPB, but there's no radar included in vB.
                          My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                          vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• sowup
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2012
                            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Ace
                            I'm not sure about IPB, but there's no radar included in vB.
                            Hi,
                            okay.. what do you mean by radar mate?.

thanks..

Comment

• roigoo
                              • Nov 2009

Thanks from Thailand
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Ace
                                • Apr 2004
                                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by sowup
                                Hi,
                                okay.. what do you mean by radar mate?.

thanks..
                                The same thing as you.. I'm not sure.
                                My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                                vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...