X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cahira
    • Feb 2012

VB vs IP?

Hi all,

I was reading this thread and wanted to reply, but it had been closed. It's also been 4 years since the last post! I am researching forum boards for my company, have always been a VBulletin fan, and naturally shifted toward VB. But now I'm hearing things about IP. How do the two boards compare with each other since the last 4 years? Not trying to stir the pot and start a debate, just looking for opinions. The company forum I want would contain a technical support area as well as off-topic categories. Thanks in advance.
  • TheVisitors
    Banned
    • May 2010
    • 4.1.x

Originally posted by cahira
    Hi all,

I was reading this thread and wanted to reply, but it had been closed. It's also been 4 years since the last post! I am researching forum boards for my company, have always been a VBulletin fan, and naturally shifted toward VB. But now I'm hearing things about IP. How do the two boards compare with each other since the last 4 years? Not trying to stir the pot and start a debate, just looking for opinions. The company forum I want would contain a technical support area as well as off-topic categories. Thanks in advance.
    vBulletin / Internet Brands will cost you less both short term and long term. There 1,000's of free modifications, templates, skins, tweaks, and general add-ons as compared to IPB / Invision Power Services Inc, which most modifications, templates, skins, tweaks, and general add-ons typical cost for each.

vBulletin you pay for 1x and that's it, you're done. IPB there is a renewal fee every 6 months, for each individual product.

vBulletin / Internet Brands is more user friendly. IPB in my opinion is not so much so.

vBulletin / Internet Brands will not judge you or treat you any differently based upon your site's theme and member association. Invision Power Services Inc will however be bias.

vBulletin / Internet Brands Inc will not involve themselves between any 3rd party dispute, should one ever come up. Invision Power Services Inc however feels the need to be unquestionable judge, jury, and executioner without advance notice, warning, or appeal.

vBulletin uses less resources and requires less to install. IPB uses more resources and requires more to install (even more so if you also use Nexus).

Comment

• cahira
      • Feb 2012

thank you - i really appreciate your input!

Comment

• Stallyon
        • Mar 2005
        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by TheVisitors
        vBulletin / Internet Brands will not judge you or treat you any differently based upon your site's theme and member association. Invision Power Services Inc will however be bias.

vBulletin / Internet Brands Inc will not involve themselves between any 3rd party dispute, should one ever come up. Invision Power Services Inc however feels the need to be unquestionable judge, jury, and executioner without advance notice, warning, or appeal.
        Actually I can personally attest to these ones. I was verbally abused and insulted by the chief software architect Matt whatshisface because I spoke of my main board (which I do not dare to post on here, call it once bitten, twice shy). He did not appreciate the topic/subject of my board and bagged both my board and me personally in public and in private messages. I have not been back there and I no longer use any IPS products. I've never had anyone here be rude or insulting towards me personally, especially not a staff member. I find the CSA of IBS has a bit of a god complex.
        A computer without Microsoft Windows is like a chocolate cake without mustard.
        vBulletin user since March 2004, joined forum a year later, migration from vBulletin began April 2013. After 6 years of negativity, even old die-hard fans lose faith.

Comment

• weather101
          • Jan 2012

Hey there everyone!

As an IPS user I can say that we've been treated very nicely by thier staff, however we've barely had to interact with them, as our admin team is amazing and can fix most of our problems without any hand holding by IPS staff. Our users really enjoy our forums that use thier software. We are switching to VB becuase we are possibly merging with a network that uses them and they also have specific mods that are for VB as well.

Is there any way we can have features like the private messaging to be like a private forum thread like IPB does, rather then function like email like VB does? Our users really enjoy this and often it is used as a meeting feature.

Also the multiquote feature is nice as well that IPB uses.

I can list quite a few, however I have an interview to attend to so I will list those later.

I hope there is a way to incorporate these into a VB product.

Thank you all very much for this thread. I have notified our devs about this.

Comment

• TheVisitors
            Banned
            • May 2010
            • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Stallyon
            Actually I can personally attest to these ones. I was verbally abused and insulted by the chief software architect Matt whatshisface because I spoke of my main board (which I do not dare to post on here, call it once bitten, twice shy). He did not appreciate the topic/subject of my board and bagged both my board and me personally in public and in private messages. I have not been back there and I no longer use any IPS products. I've never had anyone here be rude or insulting towards me personally, especially not a staff member. I find the CSA of IBS has a bit of a god complex.
            Sorry that you too have been wrongfully treated as valid paying customer.

I do respectfully sympathize.

Comment

• TheVisitors
              Banned
              • May 2010
              • 4.1.x

Originally posted by weather101
              Hey there everyone!

As an IPS user I can say that we've been treated very nicely by thier staff, however we've barely had to interact with them, as our admin team is amazing and can fix most of our problems without any hand holding by IPS staff. Our users really enjoy our forums that use thier software. We are switching to VB becuase we are possibly merging with a network that uses them and they also have specific mods that are for VB as well.

Is there any way we can have features like the private messaging to be like a private forum thread like IPB does, rather then function like email like VB does? Our users really enjoy this and often it is used as a meeting feature.

Also the multiquote feature is nice as well that IPB uses.

I can list quite a few, however I have an interview to attend to so I will list those later.

I hope there is a way to incorporate these into a VB product.

Thank you all very much for this thread. I have notified our devs about this.
              Much of what you are looking for is already incorporated in vBulletin, with future plans to incorporate the remaining. In the mean time, there is already free add-ons that can complete the rest for the time being.

On a side note.... There is also a free (open source) skin to make vBulletin look like IPB 3.1 and another skin in development to make vBulletin look like IPB 3.2 / 3.3 (also free and open source)

Comment

• weather101
                • Jan 2012

hello there again, would anyone please care to show me the links where this happened, and if those got deleted.... screenshots of any negative interaction with the Invision Power Services staff, Please PM me them, as I would like to show this to another admin on our site. He needs to see this as soon as possible. Thank you so much!

Comment

• TheVisitors
                  Banned
                  • May 2010
                  • 4.1.x

hello there again, would anyone please care to show me the links where this happened, and if those got deleted.... screenshots of any negative interaction with the Invision Power Services staff, Please PM me them, as I would like to show this to another admin on our site. He needs to see this as soon as possible. Thank you so much!
                  Just wondering.... What is the link to your site?

Comment

• weather101
                    • Jan 2012

not allowed to say,sorry. please do not ask.

Comment

• TheVisitors
                      Banned
                      • May 2010
                      • 4.1.x

not allowed to say,sorry. please do not ask.
                      Interesting.... Good luck.

Comment

• weather101
                        • Jan 2012

Thank you. I hope we can get our VB4 site to be as comfy as our IPB site. I am anxoius as hell right now.

Comment

• Stallyon
                          • Mar 2005
                          • 4.2.X

It happened about 3 or more years ago. It's long since been deleted.
                          vBulletin user since March 2004, joined forum a year later, migration from vBulletin began April 2013. After 6 years of negativity, even old die-hard fans lose faith.

Comment

• TheVisitors
                            Banned
                            • May 2010
                            • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Stallyon
                            It happened about 3 or more years ago. It's long since been deleted.
                            They have a good history of "deleting" or "hiding" anything to which paints them in a bad light.

Always a good idea to keep hard copies of any communication you know doesn't seem legitimate, unprofessional, lacking ethics, illegal, or otherwise immoral. It's helpful to prevent others from re-writing or undoing history.

Comment

• Stallyon
                              • Mar 2005
                              • 4.2.X

I couldn't be bothered. I no longer use their software. The end.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...