Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ImageConstrux
    • Feb 2002

Information about the Mobile offering

I've been trying to look through the site to find information about creating a mobile app for one of my forums but am finding information either sparse or just hard to find.

So I'll just lay out the information I'm trying to gather before I decide to give this a try, and maybe someone can help point me in the right direction?

I'm hoping someone can show me a nice example of a mobile app'ed forum in action (one other than vBulletin).

I want to know what I can expect to be in for in terms of expense. There's the vB license, a cost I know, but also the cost of an Apple developer's license, a cost I do not know, a Google developer license (which I think is free, right?), whether I should expect (as a relatively novice coder) to have to spend money on a professional coder to make this fly.

Can photos be uploaded from the mobile device to the forum?

What flexibility is there in terms of displaying forums vs threads - can it only show recent threads? Only show forums?

How much customization is possible?

What kind of Apple machine will I need to have to compile the code for the app? Certain models? Versions? OS's?

Can someone get me in touch with people that have taken their forums mobile so I can ask them what's involved?

I know - it's a lot of questions, but they're ones I think most forum owners would want answers to before plunging ahead.

Thanks in advance for all assistance.
    Last edited by ImageConstrux; Fri 27 Jan '12, 6:37pm.

• ImageConstrux
    • Feb 2002

Also, what can I expect Apple and Android to take for a cut if I charge for the app?

Comment

• ImageConstrux
      • Feb 2002

Let's see, what else... Is there a browser sniffer to automatically deliver the mobile site to mobile users? And then can they be given the option to view the full site if they wish?

Can it be offered two ways to users? One free with ads and one paid without?

Comment

• ImageConstrux
        • Feb 2002

Hey - vBulletin sales people? Maybe answer some sales questions? Or point me to where these questions are already answered? Thx.

Comment

• SteveLV702
          • Aug 2009

top right corner the search function a mans best friend...

Originally posted by ImageConstrux
          I'm hoping someone can show me a nice example of a mobile app'ed forum in action (one other than vBulletin).
          sure download one of mine links in my signature below

I want to know what I can expect to be in for in terms of expense. There's the vB license, a cost I know, but also the cost of an Apple developer's license, a cost I do not know, a Google developer license (which I think is free, right?), whether I should expect (as a relatively novice coder) to have to spend money on a professional coder to make this fly
          vB License (all depends on forum only or publishing suite)
          Mobile Suite License - $199 ($99 every year after)
          Apple Developer Account - $99/yr
          Android Developer Account - $25/one-time

For apple will need a Mac computer or will have to higher someone who has a mac.....

Can photos be uploaded from the mobile device to the forum?
          Yes...

What flexibility is there in terms of displaying forums vs threads - can it only show recent threads? Only show forums?
          test some of the apps

How much customization is possible?
          colors, images

What kind of Apple machine will I need to have to compile the code for the app? Certain models? Versions? OS's?
          Any mac as long as its running Snow Leopard or Lion and latest version of XCode

Can someone get me in touch with people that have taken their forums mobile so I can ask them what's involved?
          Yes.... How can I help you?

Also, what can I expect Apple and Android to take for a cut if I charge for the app?
          70/30 split you get 70% they take 30%

Let's see, what else... Is there a browser sniffer to automatically deliver the mobile site to mobile users? And then can they be given the option to view the full site if they wish?

Can it be offered two ways to users? One free with ads and one paid without?
          okay well there is Mobile Style/Site which is different then Mobile Suite which is a dedicated App.... If you have app you can put a popup that appears on your site when browsed from a Mobile Phone that says this site has a iPhone app and click here takes them to the store to download the app... Then there is the Mobile style which would load if browsed from a mobile device...

Mobile Suite - App yes can be offered in Free with Ads and Paid without ads.. I don't mean to toot my own horn (toot toot) I wrote the how to guide thats sticky in the Mobile Suite forum https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...App-(iOS-only)
          ------------------------------------------
          Steve
          DM Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
          CN Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
          TheFaFClan Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
          Audi Spirit Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)

Comment

• ImageConstrux
            • Feb 2002

Thanks for the reply Steve - I appreciate you taking the time. Am I nuts here or should I not have to actually go digging through thread upon thread to find info about a product they are trying to promote and sell? Should I have to do the work AND pay the money? And yes, yes, search, but how many "OMG me mobile no work what I do???" threads should I have to wade through to get answers, when I want to give them my money?

Anyway. That stuff aside. I do appreciate your taking the time to respond. You gave me a lot of into to go through. Thank you for that. I will absolutely check out your apps/sites.

Thank you.

Comment

• ImageConstrux
              • Feb 2002

Steve - the first link in your signature doesn't work. Is that a redirect counter? Just wanted to let you know about it.

Comment

• SteveLV702
                • Aug 2009

Steve - the first link in your signature doesn't work. Is that a redirect counter? Just wanted to let you know about it.

weird all work for me
                Steve

Comment

• RobAC
                  • Jan 2001
                  • 3.8.x

So, if I have to pay for an Apple Developer account....and I have to pay for an Android Developer account, and I have to get access to an Apple Mac (I'm a PC guy and don't know anyone with a Mac)...what exactly am I paying vBulletin $199.00 for?

And why do I need / should I pay $199.00 to vBulletin for a Mobile App, when I can install Tapatalk for free?
                  Rob

Comment

• SteveLV702
                    • Aug 2009

Your paying vBulletin $199 for the App branded to your site...

Ability To Sell and make Profite = vBulletin YES | Tapatalk NO

Ability to have Ads (Make $$) = vBulletin YES | Tapatalk NO

Custom Branded = vBulletin YES | Tapatalk NO

Those just a few reasons............. Yes Tapatalk you can get customized, sell, with ads but looking at THOUSANDS of Dollars...
                    Steve

Comment

• ImageConstrux
                      • Feb 2002

Know that I have no axe to grind here - just looking at what's going to be the best in terms of costs and revenue potential and time to market...

I know nothing of Tapatalk, but installing a browser sniffer and serving up a stripped version of my site that I have full creative control over, placing ads (which apparently have a better CTR than ads on full version of sites - who knew?), versus having to:

Purchase an Apple machine
                      Learn how to use an Apple machine
                      Pay $199 today to vB
                      Pay $99 every year to vB
                      Pay $99 to Apple today
                      Pay Apple $99 per year
                      Pay $25 to Google
                      Learn how to code a mobile version of my site anyway
                      Have to submit the App for approval and possibly get rejected

It seems like creating a mobile version from templates is going to be far less labor intensive, less expense, and likely very little or no difference in terms of monetization.

Looks like there are a lot of big retailers out there that have apps AND mobile versions of their sites which look and function almost identically.

There is one thing having an app does that you can't do with just having a mobile version of the site - have a cool little icon on a user's screen. And I'm not being snarky here - I think that's a huge plus that could possibly outweigh the other stuff. Sure they can bookmark the site, but it's not the same as having a nice big icon sitting there, ready to be clicked on. There's also something to be said for the cachet of having an app. It's hip, it's cool. Can that translate into money? Maybe. Probably depends a lot on the focus of the site.

Since I have your attention Steve, how long has it taken for you to get iTunes approval for your apps? (btw, the link that wasn't working before is working again - temporary glitch?)

Comment

• SteveLV702
                        • Aug 2009

Don't have to learn how to code a mobile version thats why pay $199 for Mobile Suite they do all coding for you........ You just resign and submit to apple

Every single one of my apps were approved within 7 days....
                        Steve

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...