• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheCoconutDog
    • May 2014
    • 3.5.x

PM's

New user here.

I am a user on a vBulletin board running 3.5.3 and have recently been considering the security of the PM system.

Q: Is it possible for Moderators to access and read private messages sent between users?

Thanks.

• beishe8
    • Oct 2005
    • 4.2.X

Not without using a modification.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

Correct, this requires third party add ons, you can have a look at www.vbulletin.org.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
        • Jul 2008

vBulletin.org no longer has modifications available for vBulletin 3.5.x. The oldest modifications available are for vBulletin 3.6.x. You may find one that works with older versions however.

Comment

• TheCoconutDog
          • May 2014
          • 3.5.x

Thanks for the replies. I guess nothing is private in the www. Cheers.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
            • Jul 2008

I see I misread the question- I apologize. i thought you were a site Admin looking for a way to read PMs. I see now you were a user inquiring if an Admin can read your PMs. The short answer is yes, but vBulletin does not allow it by default.

When it comes down to it however all data besides passwords are stored in the database is plain text. An admin who has access to the database can read and edit anything they choose, it comes with the territory of being a site Admin.

There are 3rd party modifications availble that may make it even easier- you should absolutely never consider anything you type on the internet to be private. Someone, somewhere can likely read what you type unless you have setup custom encryption between you and the person you are communicating with. As we've seen with the recent Heartbleed exploit in SSL even communication we consider safe and private isn't always.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...