X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alfa1
    • Dec 2005
    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Paul M
    First of all, a lot of those are not real design flaws. Just because someone requests an improvement, or doesnt like the way something works, it doesnt make it a design flaw.
    If you put it that way, then it becomes a matter of opinion what 'design flaw' means. But I think we are way past the point were you can state that someone or a few people just doesn't like how something works. I think more than a few people are well aware that vb4 has highly problematic design flaws. CMS software design, CMS SEO, Search, Asset manager, to name a few major parts have all been named time and time again by members here who know what they are talking about, that it would be better to toss and rewrite or at the very least overhaul.

Secondly, a number of those appear to date from vb3 (just carried forward into vb4) so based on that, you presumably think vb3 had massive design flaws as well.
    No, I am specifically relating to functions that were introduced or changed in vb4, like mentioned above.

Thirdly, a lot of those so called major or critical bugs simply are not, its just that no one has bothered to correct them in jira, also, over 50% of the the ones you linked to are just unconfirmed reports, not actual confirmed bugs.
    14 out of 100 bugs are not confirmed yet. 3 are awaiting feedback. I think you may have misread. Or you can see bugs that I cant see.

No one pretends there are no bugs, or no flaws, there are both (enough to keep us busy !) - but your assertion that there are 'massive' numbers is just completely OTT.
    Well let me put it this way: In my opinion you and a few others are fixing a massive number of bugs already. But if in your opinion there are no massive numbers, then surely it should be possible to fix it all within a month or two. I would be much surprised if you can do that, because I do think its a massive number. And much more important: I think the quality of the product is heavily influenced by the design flaws and the bugs present. Especially when taking into account which features were announced to us, and which features are still listed on the feature list, but can only be attributed to a very rich imagination and not to what the product really does. There is a gross discrepancy between that.

Anyway, its getting way off topic. The question asked was if vb4 was better in terms of security. The answer is that neither vb3 nor vb4 have known security issues. vbs responds relatively quickly if any issues arise.

vb4 is usable for many. Its not all doom and gloom. But IMHO it doesn't really improve on vb3 either.
    I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Paul M
      Former Lead Developer
      vB.Com & vB.Org
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Alfa1
      14 out of 100 bugs are not confirmed yet. 3 are awaiting feedback. I think you may have misread. Or you can see bugs that I cant see.
      Actually I have no idea what I was looking at, since I only see 15 now I guess I must have messed up the display when I sorted it. My apologies, it wasnt 50%.
      Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
        • Sep 2001

Originally posted by jakub03
        Is there anything good about VB4? lol

im contemplating on purchasing Subdreamer CMS + Forum now >.> lol
        Read the Licensed Members Feedback Forum for an assessment of how others feel. That forum is hidden from non-customer view so ask support to make it public.
        Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• jakub03
          • Dec 2011

I'm going to end up buying VB lol

Comment

• the1
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by jakub03
            I'm going to end up buying VB lol
            While there can definitely be some improvement with the product I can tell you now that you will not be disappointed with your purchase

Comment

• nakedanvil
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by the1
              While there can definitely be some improvement with the product I can tell you now that you will not be disappointed with your purchase
              And yet I'm disappointed with mine!

Comment

• jakub03
                • Dec 2011

How come?

Comment

• motowebmaster
                  • Mar 2006
                  • 3.5.x

I hadn't looked into Subdreamer in a while; it has come a long way. An impressive product for only $80.00 US.

Many customers have implemented vb4 on production websites, but there are still many of us with vb4 licenses who still depend on vb3. If you're not aware of the proper steps to take to secure your installation, either version can be compromised.

I'm starting to receiving grumblings from users of one of my sites for a change, partially due to some "hints" I've dropped about the future design - but also because they would like to see some of the features I'm doing on other sites with other products.

If you like vb4, then jump in. The decision would be supported by an active development process/plan, the IB Team does appear to be working diligently on vb4.

If you're still feeling the desire for feedback, you'll need to appreciate that customer opinions are still mixed. I can say that vb4 does install well, and I can now successfully perform basic user functions in a test environment.
                  Shawn

Comment

• taptap
                    • Mar 2009

So overall VB4 is better when you consider the security + other features.

------------------
                    vacances au vietnam| tour au vietnam| circuit au vietnam| circuit vietnam| voyage au vietnam| voyage vietnam| do go noi that | lap dat camera | vacances au vietnam | voyage au vietnam |mua ban - rao vat mien phi - Thông tin thương mại

Comment

• Alfa1
                      • Dec 2005
                      • 3.8.x

Security of vb3 and vb4 are the same.
                      Features of vb3 and vb4 are almost the same, except that vb4 has a very buggy CMS, a confusing asset manager, a facebook login integration of which I dont know if its fixed again, SEO urls which do not eliminate duplicate content, and a mobile style which does not have all parts of vbulletin and not all functions. It has a nice new editor, which is an improvement. So yes, vb4 has more features than vb3.
                      I buy 420 forums

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                        • Jul 2008

Facebook Connect (Login via Facebook) is working again as of 4.1.7. Facebook changed their system which "broke" it in all older versions of vBulletin.

Comment

• Loco.M
                          • Mar 2005
                          • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Maurd
                          Nothing wrong with vB4. When there is an issue, patches are released quickly.

As long as you keep your installation up-to-date you shouldn't have problems - and that goes for any software, including other software you may have installed on your server.

If you want to try extra measures, check out this thread: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...ms-More-Secure
                          wrong
                          customers shouldn't have to pay an additional 40,60,80$ for vb security
                          It should be secure on it's own for the price tag ($250+) you pay already.
                          -- Web Developer for hire
                          ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• Maurd
                            • Jun 2011
                            • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Loco.M
                            wrong
                            customers shouldn't have to pay an additional 40,60,80$ for vb security
                            It should be secure on it's own for the price tag ($250+) you pay already.
                            What are you going on about? Please, show me where my post mentioned any form of currency.

Sorry bud, but no software is bulletproof. By your logic, I would hazard a guess that you whine every time Apple, Microsoft or any other major vendor releases patches too?
                            - Maurice Workin' in the Jira mine, goin' down, down, down

Comment

• Loco.M
                              • Mar 2005
                              • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Maurd
                              What are you going on about? Please, show me where my post mentioned any form of currency.

Sorry bud, but no software is bulletproof. By your logic, I would hazard a guess that you whine every time Apple, Microsoft or any other major vendor releases patches too?
                              Sorry man, quoted the wrong post, it should of been the one right above yours.. You posted a great link and I agree and would suggest everyone going over that list.

All I was saying is vb should be secure already and not need additional software like the one linked below...

Originally posted by IcEWoLF
                              If you are so concerned about security, then I'd suggest buying this addon from DBTech: http://www.dragonbyte-tech.com/vbeco...&productid=123
                              -- Web Developer for hire
                              ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...