X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jakub03
    • Dec 2011

VB4 security worse than VB3?

Hello,

I am purchasing VB license on Wednesday, and I have been told by some people that VB3 version is better than VB4 because it is more secure. Is this true? And if it is, is there anything I can do to make the VB4 version have better security features?
  • BirdOPrey5
    • Jul 2008

vBulletin 3.x isn't being developed anymore so there is no chance of a new security flaw being introduced. VB 4.x does have this chance because it is being continually developed. I wouldn't say one is inherently more secure than the other though. Also still possible an old flaw may turn up in VB 3.x. If you did choose to run 3.x make sure it is the latest 3.8.7.

Comment

• IcEWoLF
      • Jul 2008
      • 4.1.x

If you are so concerned about security, then I'd suggest buying this addon from DBTech: http://www.dragonbyte-tech.com/vbeco...&productid=123
      The 47 Ronin Gaming - www.47r-squad.com

Comment

• Maurd
        • Jun 2011
        • 4.1.x

Nothing wrong with vB4. When there is an issue, patches are released quickly.

As long as you keep your installation up-to-date you shouldn't have problems - and that goes for any software, including other software you may have installed on your server.

If you want to try extra measures, check out this thread: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...ms-More-Secure
        - Maurice Workin' in the Jira mine, goin' down, down, down

Comment

• AusPhotography
          • Nov 2007

The biggest threat to any software like vB is add-ons.
          environment: Centos 6.9, Apache v2.4.25, PHP 5.6.30/xCache, MariaDB 10.22 -- vB5 Connect Licensed

AusPhotography - Australia's Premier Photographic Forum vB4.2.3
          Rick (site owner) and Kym (site tech) sharing this account

Comment

• mjk13
            • Dec 2011

It's patched quickly but add ons have a problem.

Comment

• jakub03
              • Dec 2011

Ok thanks

Comment

• Paul M
                Former Lead Developer
                vB.Com & vB.Org
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by jakub03
                I have been told by some people that VB3 version is better than VB4 because it is more secure. Is this true?
                No, its not, neither has any known exploits atm.

Should one be found in the future, its unlikely vb3 will get patched (except possibly 3.8, I think that still gets them).
                Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• Alfa1
                  • Dec 2005
                  • 3.8.x

It was announced by Adrian that vb3.8 will still get security updates, just like the Jelsoft policy has always been. The idea is that because so many sites are still using vb3, security updates are in order.
                  I buy 420 forums

Comment

• jakub03
                    • Dec 2011

So overall VB4 is better when you consider the security + other features.

Comment

• Alfa1
                      • Dec 2005
                      • 3.8.x

I would certainly not say vb4 is better than vb3 security wise. Both have no known security issues. vb4 does have a massive number of bugs and design flaws. My devs advise against using vb4 due to bad coding quality. Hopefully their opinion will change in the future.
                      I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Paul M
                        Former Lead Developer
                        vB.Com & vB.Org
                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Alfa1
                        vb4 does have a massive number of bugs and design flaws. My devs advise against using vb4 due to bad coding quality. Hopefully their opinion will change in the future.
                        vb4 does not have a massive number of design flaws, and the bugs are mostly minor. Stop making over dramatic statements that are not true.

Comment

• Alfa1
                          • Dec 2005
                          • 3.8.x

Surely enough its true. A few of those design flaws alone are enough reason not to use vb4. Here are hundreds of them. If there would be a separate 'design flaw' issue type, then it would be possible to show you a clean list with only design flaws. Currently they are categorized under various types. Mostly under 'improvement requests' and subs though.
                          There are 100 bugs classed as major or critical. 2 years after release, you could perceive it as dramatic, I see it as sad.
                          I buy 420 forums

Comment

• jakub03
                            • Dec 2011

Is there anything good about VB4? lol

im contemplating on purchasing Subdreamer CMS + Forum now >.> lol

Comment

• Paul M
                              Former Lead Developer
                              vB.Com & vB.Org
                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Alfa1
                              Surely enough its true. A few of those design flaws alone are enough reason not to use vb4. Here are hundreds of them. If there would be a separate 'design flaw' issue type, then it would be possible to show you a clean list with only design flaws. Currently they are categorized under various types. Mostly under 'improvement requests' and subs though.
                              There are 100 bugs classed as major or critical. 2 years after release, you could perceive it as dramatic, I see it as sad.
                              What is sad is the utter nonsense in your post.

First of all, a lot of those are not real design flaws. Just because someone requests an improvement, or doesnt like the way something works, it doesnt make it a design flaw.
                              Secondly, a number of those appear to date from vb3 (just carried forward into vb4) so based on that, you presumably think vb3 had massive design flaws as well.
                              Thirdly, a lot of those so called major or critical bugs simply are not, its just that no one has bothered to correct them in jira, also, over 50% of the the ones you linked to are just unconfirmed reports, not actual confirmed bugs.

No one pretends there are no bugs, or no flaws, there are both (enough to keep us busy !) - but your assertion that there are 'massive' numbers is just completely OTT.

Is there anything good about VB4? lol

im contemplating on purchasing Subdreamer CMS + Forum now >.> lol
                              I suggest you dont pay too much attention, a few on here would have you believe that IB is the evil empire and that vbulletin will explode on contact.
                              The fact is that it works just fine for most people (esp the forum side, everyone admits the CMS needs work) - and it is in use on many many thousands of forums.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...