Why would I upgrade to vb5 and leave vb4?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • commandermadi
    • Jan 2010
    • 4.2.X

Why would I upgrade to vb5 and leave vb4?

For the moment, I don't find a single reason that can convince me to leave me vb4 installation and upgrade for the vb5. Can you convince me?
  • TLMD
    • Sep 2012
    • 5.6.X

If vB4 does everything you need, why would you like to be convinced to upgrade to vB5?

Comment

• commandermadi
      commandermadi commented
      Editing a comment
      And who said that vb4 does everything I need? I said, give me reasons to switch.
  • TLMD
    • Sep 2012
    • 5.6.X

Obviously it was an assumption, since you didn't write anything about having issues with vB4... Without knowing about those, I guess my statement/question is still valid.

Comment

• commandermadi
      commandermadi commented
      Editing a comment
      Well then I am not here to argue with you, if you have reasons to convince me just say em.
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

We'd need to know details of your current vB4 set up...whether you feel it meets your needs, what you feel it doesn't do.

Nobody should rush into an upgrade .....you should start from the position of "I'm staying where I am" and then look for reasons to upgrade.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• feldon23
      • Nov 2001
      • 3.7.x

Originally posted by commandermadi
      For the moment, I don't find a single reason that can convince me to leave me vb4 installation and upgrade for the vb5. Can you convince me?
      vBulletin 4 is feature-complete, stable, and has a plethora of styles (themes) and plugins. vBulletin 5 is none of the above.

Comment

• jdj
        jdj commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm used to vB4 but it still has a number of anomalies that make it not very intuitive, particularly with the CMS. I have an open mind about vB5 but the truth is vB5 doesn't have a working CMS at all and it has no events calendar (which we use). When I first saw vB5 I though the stripped-down style - looking a bit more like Facebook and Linkedin - might make it faster and perhaps more mobile friendly which was a plus for me. The truth is though that vBulletin.com is still quite slow to load.
    • donald1234
      • Oct 2011
      • 4.1.x

Originally posted by feldon23
      vBulletin 4 is feature-complete, stable, and has a plethora of styles (themes) and plugins. vBulletin 5 is none of the above.
      I do remember similar statements regarding vbulletin 4 versus vbulletin 3 when vb 4 first came out.

Comment

• feldon23
        • Nov 2001
        • 3.7.x

Originally posted by donald1234

I do remember similar statements regarding vbulletin 4 versus vbulletin 3 when vb 4 first came out.
        It took 2 years for vBulletin 4 to reach a level of stability and feature completeness roughly equivalent to vBulletin 3. And that was with over a dozen developers on it. There aren't that many working on vBulletin 5.

P.S. vBulletin 3, 3.5, 3.6, 3.7, and 3.8 had a team of 3 people.

Comment

• Leinad_r
          • Sep 2011

There where more then 3 devs

Kier
          Mike
          Scott
          Freddie
          Jeremy/Jerry
          (I think there where even more people involved in development and testing)
          Not sent from my iPhone and not using any browser attaching any 3rd party advertisement to my posts

Comment

• jdj
            • Jan 2009
            • 5.1.x

If you are running any kind of online site 'content is king'. Unique content is what makes you attractive to Google and other search engines; unique content is also what makes users wish to come back to your site. This isn't the world of 10 or 15 years ago: Anybody who wants to get involved in an online discussion today doesn't have to do it on a forum, they can do it on Facebook, Linkedin and a variety of other social media platforms that are basically big forums or big clusters of forums with a single login. So if vB/IB comes along with a product that would result in you ditching much of your content and the habit that you have built up in your users of coming back and contributing to your site if you were to upgrade, then all that you are doing is driving your users away, towards the alternatives. vB5 "Connect" also styles itself as being easier to connect to people on other social media platforms the theory being that you can pull people into your site: But without the features to enable you to continue to make the most of your content all that this is likely to do is drive users away from your site.

So on this...

The problem at the moment from our point of view is that vB4 wasn't great when it first came out and for a while we regretted upgrading; then we put the effort in and learned to use vB4. What normally seems to happen is that customers upgrade, find out where all the anomalies and problems are and report that back, then the coders and developers gain the insight and experience of the vB forum owners and improve the product. Because anybody who made the effort to upgrade to vB4 and use all it's main features (CMS, blogs, calendar) cannot upgrade without losing content they can't risk upgrading. Because they can't risk upgrading without feature parity vB/IB don't get to test the product effectively.

Great that a version of the CMS is back (if we gloss over the amount of time it took)...the calendar and upcoming events feature is a pretty basic function and it's still missing....we still can't risk upgrading without it.

Comment

• feldon23
              • Nov 2001
              • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Leinad_r
              Jerry
              He wrote and was maintaining Impex.

Comment

• emaderam
                Banned
                • Apr 2014
                • 4.2.X

Anybody who wants to get involved in an online discussion today doesn't have to do it on a forum, they can do it on Facebook, Linkedin and a variety of other social media platforms that are basically big forums or big clusters of forums with a single login. So if vB/IB comes along with a product that would result in you ditching much of your content and the habit that you have built up in your users of coming back and contributing to your site if you were to upgrade, then all that you are doing is driving your users away, towards the alternatives. vB5 "Connect" also styles itself as being easier to connect to people on other social media platforms the theory being that you can pull people into your site: But without the features to enable you to continue to make the most of your content all that this is likely to do is drive users away from your site.

Comment