X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Etin Vb
    • Mar 2014
    • 5.0.X

How to set the default url VB5 the blog, rather than the current forum

We have purchased the commercial version of VB5.
    Now, the problem is that i am unable to change the default home page VB5'S into the form of Blog.I have tried many times but failed. The official manual is not including these content as well.
    Last edited by Etin Vb; Mon 10 Mar '14, 1:31am.
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Currently it's not possible to do this in the default software.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Etin Vb
      Etin Vb commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks for your response
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

It will be possible in 5.1.0...
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Etin Vb
      Etin Vb commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks for your response.
  • Acerath
    • Aug 2005
    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
    It will be possible in 5.1.0...
    Hi Wayne, I have uploaded 5.1.0 any idea how this can be done, i.e. I want to change the default http://domain to open blog or article page instead of forum page?

Comment

• Anouar71
      Anouar71 commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you get an answer on this one? I would like to set default home page to article instead of forum...
  • BirdOPrey5
    • Jul 2008

Basically you need to use Site Builder.

Go to your main Forum Homepage and click the "Edit Page" button, then "Save Page."

This will bring up the screen where you can provide a URL for the page. The default URL is simply: /

Change it from / to some other word BUT NOT forum, "forum" is already used. You can use something like Boards or Community or the like. For our example lets use Board.

Then press OK to save changes.

Next click on your Blogs or Articles tab (or whatever other page you want to be default) and once you're on the correct page again click on "Edit Page" and then "Save Page."

Now on this screen change the URL from Articles (or whatever it is) to just: /
    (The same as Forum used to be)

Press OK to save changes.

Now you are half done.

Final steps is to update the links in thee Navbar.

Back in Site Builder click on "Navigation Bar"

Use the Pencil icon to edit the Forums link. Change the Target URL to Board (or whatever you used earlier). Then use the pencil icon to change the target URL of Articles (or whatever page changed above) to just be the slash - /.

Save changes... refresh the page (might not hurt to clear the cache in the Admin CP) and you should be all set.

Last edited by BirdOPrey5; Wed 8 Mar '17, 4:27am.

Comment

• Graham Walters
      • Feb 2013
      • 5.1.x

Thanks Joe been trying to work out how to do this for ages ! so simple really, should be added to the tuts ?

Comment

• jdj
        • Jan 2009
        • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Joe D.

You can see this setup and working on: http://sedona.vbulletin.net
        On Sedona.vbulletin.net you have a calendar (there's no calendar built into vB5 as yet).

You're using the Google calendar.

Where's the best place to get hints and tips on how to install a calendar in vB5 and make the theme/colour the same as your vB5 installation as you have done?

OK: It's here.

This will show you how to add a Google Calendar to your VB5 Connect of vBCloud site. The calendar will be on a custom page in an IFRAME. 1) First make sure you have a Google account and are signed into it. (If

Any other hints, links and tips on this appreciated.
        Last edited by jdj; Thu 5 Jun '14, 4:48am.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
          • Jul 2008

I believe there is a tutorial somewhere in the VB5 articles section but if not it can certainly be added. Are those the tutorials you are looking at?

Comment

• jdj
            • Jan 2009
            • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Joe D.
            Basically you need to use Site Builder.

Go to your main Forum Homepage and click the "Edit Page" button, then "Save Page."

This will bring up the screen where you can provide a URL for the page. The default URL is simply: /

Change it from / to some other word BUT NOT forum, "forum" is already used. You can use something like Boards or Community or the like. For our example lets use Board.

Then press OK to save changes.

Next click on your Articles tab (or whatever other page you want to be default) and once you're on the correct page again click on "Edit Page" and then "Save Page."

Now on this screen change the URL from Articles (or whatever it is) to just: /
            (The same as Forum used to be)

Press OK to save changes.

Now you are half done.

Final steps is to update the links in thee Navbar.

Back in Site Builder click on "Navigation Bar"

Use the Pencil icon to edit the Forums link. Change the Target URL to Board (or whatever you used earlier). Then use the pencil icon to change the target URL of Articles (or whatever page changed above) to just be the slash - /.

Save changes... refresh the page (might not hurt to clear the cache in the Admin CP) and you should be all set.

You can see this setup and working on: http://sedona.vbulletin.net
            I've followed this process on my test site as on my live site (vB4) we use the CMS as the home page. On my vB5 test site I've created a new skin with different colours; however the colour of the 'selected' tab is white, the same as in the vBulletin default skin that comes out of the box. I've been trying to work out why my skin on the test site doesn't show with the homepage tab as white (i.e. as selected) when you land on it, but the selected tab does show as white if I go to forums, blogs or groups (pages I haven't changed as yet); I thought at first that it must be the skin I've created but in fact it's the same with the vBulletin default skin. So it must be that for some reason the tab just isn't 'selected' when you land on the home page.

How do I change this? What do I have to set in the homepage settings so that the tab shows as selected?

Edit: My fault, I misunderstood these instructions and set the page to point to the wrong link. Think it's now fixed.
            Last edited by jdj; Wed 24 Sep '14, 8:01am.

Comment

• Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

I don't think, with the way the code is written, that you can actually fix this. I have seen the tab highlighting problem on other sites with "renamed" pages.
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------
              My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
              My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• jdj
                • Jan 2009
                • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
                I don't think, with the way the code is written, that you can actually fix this. I have seen the tab highlighting problem on other sites with "renamed" pages.
                I think I've fixed it: I put an error in and didn't realise I'd one it because I still ended up at the home page, it just didn't show as selected. Problem was my lack of understanding of site builder.

Comment