Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike JezZ
    • Mar 2011

Got some newbie questions

Hey guys, I tried to find answers regarding this on the homepage, but I couldn't find the exact answers so I am trying to ask them here.

1. If I register a vBulletin page, I know I am only allowed to run as many forums as I am licensed for. But lets say I have a gamesite that runs vBulletin. If I decide to completely shut it down... May I use my vBulletin on another project?
    Simplifistic: Can I use vBulletin for other sites as long as I delete the previous sites?
    It is because I am running a homepage with a friend, but if he decides to quit, I want to use the vBulletin on my own project. (another one).

2. How many themes are there for vBulletin? Is it easy to make it look something like this? http://www.xboxcove.com/blog/

3. I tried to test out the vB 5 test page, but after I have entered my Email, I never got a received Email from vBulletin about my test install. How long does it take before it arrives?

4. How many updates costs money? I assume it is version 5, 6, 7, 8, and so on, and not updates likes 5.1, 5.2 ,5 .3 and so on?

5. Is buying an update really almost as expensive as buying a new version? As far as I could see there were only a difference like 50 USD.

6. Is vBulletin really that easy to setup as a full content site while running a forum? Also, is it possible to change the names and links in the menu on the homepage yourself?

I think that was all at the moment. Thanks for all your answers.
  • beishe8
    • Oct 2005
    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Mike JezZ

1. If I register a vBulletin page, I know I am only allowed to run as many forums as I am licensed for. But lets say I have a gamesite that runs vBulletin. If I decide to completely shut it down... May I use my vBulletin on another project?
    Yes.

Simplifistic: Can I use vBulletin for other sites as long as I delete the previous sites?
    Yes.

It is because I am running a homepage with a friend, but if he decides to quit, I want to use the vBulletin on my own project. (another one).
    You may use it only for your own site.

3. I tried to test out the vB 5 test page, but after I have entered my Email, I never got a received Email from vBulletin about my test install. How long does it take before it arrives?
    It is not working at all.
    4. How many updates costs money? I assume it is version 5, 6, 7, 8, and so on, and not updates likes 5.1, 5.2 ,5 .3 and so on?
    Correct.
    5. Is buying an update really almost as expensive as buying a new version? As far as I could see there were only a difference like 50 USD.
    Correct.

6. Is vBulletin really that easy to setup as a full content site while running a forum?
    Not yet.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Mike JezZ
      • Mar 2011

So at the moment, vBulletin ain't that good to use as a forum and a cms at the same time?

A site like the one I previously linked to seems pretty nice.

But I fear it is very difficult to make.

I am looking for a simple system where I can make a forum section, and a section (frontpage) with news, and articles and such.
      Last edited by Mike JezZ; Wed 15 Jan '14, 1:47am.

Comment

• beishe8
        • Oct 2005
        • 4.2.X

Correct.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Mike JezZ
          • Mar 2011

Damn, but they are even advertising with it :/

Comment

• TLMD
            • Sep 2012
            • 5.6.X

The CMS will come back with vB 5.1.0, which will be released soon. However, if you buy a vB5 license (which gives you also access to vB4 and vB3), you get the "plain" software. If you want it to be customized, e.g. like on the site you linked to in your initial post, you need an individual theme and custom coding. Everything is possible, but depending on what you want, it will take some effort.

Comment

• rudedog1968
              • Feb 2004
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by TLMD
              The CMS will come back with vB 5.1.0, which will be released soon.
              vB5 never had a CMS to come back too. vB5.1.0 is the first time since it's release that there will be a CMS in vB5.

Also not sure why this post in not in this section but you may want to look at this post about missing features (which has gotten shorter)
              Last edited by rudedog1968; Wed 15 Jan '14, 3:48am. Reason: added missing feature link that is in the wrong section.
              Not so Rude, Rudedog FPSadmin.com | twitter | Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 - Games for Windows

Comment

• TLMD
                • Sep 2012
                • 5.6.X

Originally posted by rudedog1968
                vB5 never had a CMS to come back too. vB5.1.0 is the first time since it's release that there will be a CMS in vB5.
                I am referring to vB4 as the predecessor to vB5, which had a CMS. vB5 itself never had the CMS before, that is correct.

Comment

• Mike JezZ
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by TLMD
                  The CMS will come back with vB 5.1.0, which will be released soon. However, if you buy a vB5 license (which gives you also access to vB4 and vB3), you get the "plain" software. If you want it to be customized, e.g. like on the site you linked to in your initial post, you need an individual theme and custom coding. Everything is possible, but depending on what you want, it will take some effort.
                  So I cant just set it up easy?

Well it is kinda what the feature list says :/

Comment

• TLMD
                    • Sep 2012
                    • 5.6.X

So I cant just set it up easy?

Well it is kinda what the feature list says :/
                    It is easy to set up a vB5 installation and it is also easy to use its default features, for example when the CMS comes out, it doesn't really need any skill to use it.

However, creating a theme like the one that is used on the site you linked to in your initial post can't be done without any knowledge regarding HTML, CSS etc. Of course you can always look for someone who will do such work for you or you can look for existing vB5-themes. Some are available for free, others need to be pay for.

Comment

• Mike JezZ
                      • Mar 2011

Is making a news site like this http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/ also hard, or is it just a theme?

When this is "just" a forum atm, what are the benefits of vBulletin over phpBB really?

Comment

• jmurrayhead
                        jmurrayhead commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The illusion of "quality" because you're paying top dollar.
                    • TLMD
                      • Sep 2012
                      • 5.6.X

Is making a news site like this http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/ also hard, or is it just a theme?

When this is "just" a forum atm, what are the benefits of vBulletin over phpBB really?
                      It is difficult to answer, if something is hard or not, because this totally depends on your skills. If you are experienced with HTML, CSS, PHP etc., it probably isn't very hard (maybe time-consuming). If you have absolutely no experience with webdesign/programming etc., then yes, I guess it is "hard".

As for your 2nd question: You need to compare the features of every software in order to see if it meets your expectations and/or requirements. You can have a look at the vB5 features here.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...