X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Summit14
    • Jan 2014
    • 5.0.X

Decided on vBulletin but have a few questions

Ok, so I have decided to purchase vBulletin if purchasing a forum software. Just a few questions

1. Should I be using 4 or 5 when starting the site?

2. Should I get the mobile package? I really would love it as long as its an individual app, and already have an apple dev license.

3. How easy is it to install, and can it act like a full site, not just a forum? Meaning having a main page etc

4. Paid subscriptions, is it on vBulletin? Is it easy to set up?

5. Could I transfer my SMF forum to 4 then 5?

6. Any other info that could help me in setting this up, or getting started?
    Last edited by Summit14; Wed 8 Jan '14, 10:39am.
  • TLMD
    • Sep 2012
    • 5.6.X

It depends on what you prefer: vB4 is the more matured version, but won't be as actively supported as vB5, since vB5 is the latest version of the vB-series and of course the focus lies on that version. However, if you buy vB5, you also get access to vB4, so if you prefer it, you can start with vB4 and upgrade to vB5 later, if you feel that the right time has come.

I don't know, as I don't use the Mobile Suite, sorry.

The installation is very easy as vB uses an install tool to set up the software. Simply point to your database in the config file and start the setup. Yes, you can use it for a "full site". With vB 5.1.0 the CMS will be back in vB5 (vB4 already has it), which means it is even easier to manage content.

Paid subscriptions are a part of vB5.

The FAQ says "Yes" , so I believe that information is still valid.

Check out the manual. It covers how to set up vB. There is also a trial version available, if you want to test vB.

Comment

• Summit14
      • Jan 2014
      • 5.0.X

Thank you so much for the information! Im really interested in mobile suite, so I wish someone could just give me some info on that. You answered all my other questions though, and I greatly appreciate it!

Comment

• glennrocksvb
        Former vBulletin Developer
        • Mar 2011
        • 5.7.X

There's a note in the vBulletin 5 Connect + Mobile Suite Bundle page:

Note: For Apple, you must have an Apple Developer Account and access to a Mac OS X Computer, for Android you need to have an Android Developer Account. Please see the Developer programs for specific costs.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Summit14
          • Jan 2014
          • 5.0.X

I have an apple developer license and computer. Just gotta get android

Comment

• oldlock
            • Jun 2009
            • 3.8.x

You might want to check a little deeper into the mobile suite, I used to use it and it was a major PIA to compile & submit + now apple are advising that new submissions must be IOS7 (??) compatible and VB has shown a very slow rate for updates to the mobile suite. So don't bet on it being compatible any time in the foreseeable future.

Comment

• DirtRider
              • Apr 2009
              • 4.2.X

1. Should I be using 4 or 5 when starting the site?
              I would not go near VB5

2. Should I get the mobile package? I really would love it as long as its an individual app, and already have an apple dev license.
              I run TapaTalk and the members seem to love it

3. How easy is it to install, and can it act like a full site, not just a forum? Meaning having a main page etc
              VB4 is very easy to install and with the publishing suite you can have all the bells and whistles

4. Paid subscriptions, is it on vBulletin? Is it easy to set up?
              Yes very easy on VB4

5. Could I transfer my SMF forum to 4 then 5?
              I transferred my SMF forum to VB4 without many issues

6. Any other info that could help me in setting this up, or getting started?

With all the above said I am at the point of moving away from VB completely due to the total disregard of VB towards it's customers

Comment

• alnadabi
                • Dec 2012
                • 4.2.X

Hi there,

If you need my advise, you need to wait for some future version of VB5 , as the current one is really un-stable and caused me a painful things like :

- My Visitors drops from 30,000 per day to 6,000 per day .
                - My Members are not interested in the way of managing their post in VB5 , many bugs that still not solved in the latest stable version .
                - Not easy to customize your theme or style, you have to stick with the main structure.
                - Too many tables and columns in the database,
                - Very hard to integrate the authentication part to other existing service you have in your website.
                - Very hard to get support unless you will buy support feature from Vbulletin

And if you really want to build a social network website, So don't go for Bulletin Boards options because :
                - There are no feature which can beat the features available in major social network websites like (facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc)
                - So there are no good reason that you can keep your member in your website, as every one now looking for building their profile and sharing their favorites things , and you are not going to see this feature in VB5 or any Bulletin Board Script.

I bought VB5 and installled it for more than 8 month from now, and I am loosing hundreds of visitors every day . Now I have decided to remove my VB5 from my website as it was really
                the biggest mistake in my technology life.

Sorry Vbulletin, I have to say the truth.

AlNadabi

Comment

• oldlock
                  • Jun 2009
                  • 3.8.x

And standby for the deletion of yet another thread ,,,,,,,,,,

Comment

• TLMD
                    • Sep 2012
                    • 5.6.X

Actually the only question left for the OP is his 2nd one:
                    "Should I get the mobile package? I really would love it as long as its an individual app, and already have an apple dev license."

I think we should focus on that.

Comment

• DirtRider
                      • Apr 2009
                      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by oldlock
                      And standby for the deletion of yet another thread ,,,,,,,,,,
                      Well he did ask after all so we need to tell him

Comment

• oldlock
                        oldlock commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I agree 100 %, but will the replies be allowed to stand - somehow I doubt it ....
                    • captainslater
                      • Jun 2006

2.) With the Mobile Suite you can create your own app for iOS and Android.
                      To infinity and beyond!
                      Deutschsprachige vBulletin News & Tipps
                      captainslater
                      - Eine vBulletin Cloud-Site

Comment

• Summit14
                        • Jan 2014
                        • 5.0.X

Thanks, finally got the answer lol.

There is a lot of Forum software, and with vBulletin it seems people either despise it, or love it. I have heard since v3 it has gone downhill. I think the major point with vBulletin, is the decline in support after spending $400 dollars (or 250). On top of that, with lack of updates, people seem bored with it. Maybe some people who already have the software can share their review, vBulletin please keep this topic, since I just want to get a feel before buying. After reading comments though, I don't know.

Comment