X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zndev
    • Feb 2002

Instance of License

To vBulletin:

I am actively pursuing to purchase vBulletin software but before I do can you help me answer the following questions.

1. What is an instance of vBulletin?
    2. Do we need to be a PHP and mySQL guru to operate something like this?
    3. Does "Post New Thread" have a spell checker option?
    4. Does a license of vBulletin have calendar features and if so how can we update that information?
    5. How long can one be in "Post New Thread" section before it times out?
    6. How many threads and posts can this software hold before it starts to have issues?
    7. How many forums topics can I have within a License of vBulletin?

Thank you for helping me answer these questions.
  • Radon3k
    • Nov 2001

First, sorry to the mods and vBulletin developers if it isn't my place to answer this, but I'd like to help out.

zndnev:

Here's what I can answer for you.

"an Instance of vBulletin"...do you mean what is it? If so, you're on it

PHP MySQL guru? Nah, not at all...To develop hacks maybe, but to just work with the normal board, nope, not at all. It's very user friendly.

As far as as spell checker, I believe that that is a hack that you have to add in. As of right now anyway, they may actually include that in vBulletin 3, but we'll see.

Calendar? Yup! It's on there as well, and you can easily update that. I forget where, cuz I don't have mine active, but play around and you'll see it

How long before "Post New Thread" times out? As far as I know, it doesn't...I could be wrong though...

As far as threads and posts, I'm not sure there is a limit. The limit probably really exists as far as your server space goes..

Forum topics? You can have as many as you want, but you can only have one actual vBulletin board up and running at one time if you have only bought once license.

Like I said before, sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes here, didn't mean to, just trying to help. Hope this helped some zndev, and hope you do buy it, it's great!!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Re: Instance of License

Originally posted by zndev
      [B]To vBulletin:

I am actively pursuing to purchase vBulletin software but before I do can you help me answer the following questions.

1. What is an instance of vBulletin?
      One installation of vBulletin using one database.
      2. Do we need to be a PHP and mySQL guru to operate something like this?
      No but knowing the basics will help.
      3. Does "Post New Thread" have a spell checker option?
      No but if you wish to purchase spellchecking from a company like spellchecking.net people in the community will be help you set it up.
      4. Does a license of vBulletin have calendar features and if so how can we update that information?
      Yes.. Everything you see in these forums is shipped with the default version.
      5. How long can one be in "Post New Thread" section before it times out?
      Depends on the end users settings. If they use cookies, indefinately.
      6. How many threads and posts can this software hold before it starts to have issues?
      The software can support 9,999,999,999 threads and posts out of the box. For all practical purposes you will start seeing issues with the MySQL server around 10 million threads.
      7. How many forums topics can I have within a License of vBulletin?
      Each instance of vBulletin can support 9,999,999,999 different forum topics. Again realistically, you will be able to support around 10,000 or so with MySQL.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• zndev
        • Feb 2002

Thanks for the response..

Thanks forum users for addressing my concerns. I will definitely purchase an instance of the license shortly.

By the way, are there any plans of releasing vBulletin in ASP and SQL server? And adding a spell check function in the editor?

Thanks again for your help!!

Comment

• tubedogg
          • Feb 2001

There are no plans to rewrite vBulletin in ASP. It could happen, I suppose, but it is highly unlikely. As to using SQL server, that is somewhat more likely.

Comment

• zndev
            • Feb 2002

GMT Time

Why are all times posted in GMT? Is this where vBulletin headquarters is located at?

Can we change the default time settings if we purchase a license of the product?

Thanks for getting back to me.

Comment

• Steve Machol
              Former Customer Support Manager
              • Jul 2000

GMT will always be displayed to guest and users that aren't logged in. Once logged in, the displayed time will be whatever the user has set in his/her control panel.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

P.S. There is a simple hack (one line I think) to make this default to a different timezone.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• zndev
                  • Feb 2002

Smachol

Thanks for the very quick reply..

Besides setting up interesting topics to discuss on a forum what other elements do you (or anybody on this forum) feel that is the most important criteria for creating a very successful forum?

I want to make sure once I invest in this tool that I get my return on investment.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

Actually that question deserves a thread of its own!

I guess this really depends on how you qualify 'success'. Assuming you mean a forum with lots of members and posts, then there are many different ways to do that - so diametricaly opposed to each other. For instance if you want a 'successful' free-wheeling forum full of idiots and other scums of humanity, then lack of moderation and intellegence would be a useful trait in an Admin.

However if you want a forum that is highly respected within its specialty, then the opposite is true. You need active dedicated Moderators who know how to keep the forums on track without getting heavy-handed. You also need a number of thoughtful, intelligent members who know how to generate interesting topics and conversation. You also have to be able to cultivate these people because they will often turn out to be the best Moderators you can find.

I think it's also important to have a board that is easy to access and has few technical problems. In this regard your web host can be your best friend - or your worst enemy. Choose one carefully!

I'm sure many others will chime in with their thoughts on this subject as well.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...