• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ozzie4x4
    • Jan 2014
    • 5.0.X

try it before you buy it

gday
    im trying to try it before I buy it to see if I can transfer my SMF forum, I did read it can be done but I want to be able to make sure I can.

the try it link states to try again later, which has been that way for a few days. will that be fixed to allow the trial version

thanks
  • beishe8
    • Oct 2005
    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by ozzie4x4
    im trying to try it before I buy it to see if I can transfer my SMF forum, I did read it can be done but I want to be able to make sure I can.

the try it link states to try again later, which has been that way for a few days. will that be fixed to allow the trial version
    With that trial you can only see how that version works on vB's server.
    You cannot try to transfer your SMF forum with it.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• ozzie4x4
      • Jan 2014
      • 5.0.X

you can explore further as it states, anyway that still hasn't answered my question

Comment

• donald1234
        • Oct 2011
        • 4.1.x

Here is a recent statement by JoeD (staff member) with regards to the vb5 trial.
        Thu 19th Dec '13, 2:21pm

I am sorry the vB5 Demo system is not working and our developers are aware of the issue. I do not yet know when it will be back online. Our VB4 Demo system is working if you have any desire to try that one- http://www.vbulletin.com/en/vb4-trial/

Comment

• Loco.M
          • Mar 2005
          • 3.5.x

I'd suggest googleing some vbulletin 5 reviews before you try it as well
          -- Web Developer for hire
          ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• ozzie4x4
            • Jan 2014
            • 5.0.X

Originally posted by Loco.M
            I'd suggest googleing some vbulletin 5 reviews before you try it as well
            yes I have googled reviews , and it seems more on the positive side then negative, that's how I found ot as well you can transfer your SMF forum over, but being a business I like to get all the facts before I layout money ,

Thanks for the replies. will look at the demo

Comment

• zappaDPJ
              • Jun 2007

Trustpilot has quite a number of reviews from recognisable vBulletin customers you might want to take a look at.

Comment

• donald1234
                • Oct 2011
                • 4.1.x

Originally posted by zappaDPJ
                Trustpilot has quite a number of reviews from recognisable vBulletin customers you might want to take a look at.
                http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.vbulletin.com
                I think you Vbulletin backstabbers are just going a bit too far, you already suggested the OP should use google for an unbiased opinion about vbulletin which is fair enough but when that failed you are now directing him to a specific website with negative reviews! Don't get me wrong, I am as concerned as the next person about the lack of development and removal of functions from my software (VB4) as the next person but this "apparant" attempt to harm vb or put them out of bussness altogether is not in my interest or that of my forums!

Comment

• feldon23
                  • Nov 2001
                  • 3.7.x

Originally posted by donald1234

I think you Vbulletin backstabbers are just going a bit too far, you already suggested the OP should use google for an unbiased opinion about vbulletin which is fair enough but when that failed you are now directing him to a specific website with negative reviews! Don't get me wrong, I am as concerned as the next person about the lack of development and removal of functions from my software (VB4) as the next person but this "apparant" attempt to harm vb or put them out of bussness altogether is not in my interest or that of my forums!
                  Fortunately, your comments are completely unbiased and you have no financial stake in vBulletin products. Oh wait.

Comment

• donald1234
                    • Oct 2011
                    • 4.1.x

Oh another one, I never made any comments, I just critised one of your friends! I have three vbulletin 4 licenses that I own and who I endorse in my sig is quite frankly none of your bussness, try to stay on topic, so you think it's ok to point the OP to a paticular website because he said his google search was positive?
                    Last edited by donald1234; Tue 7 Jan '14, 4:00am.

Comment

• TLMD
                      • Sep 2012
                      • 5.6.X

The original questions were:
                      1. Is it possible to transfer a SMF forum to vB?
                      2. Is it possible to try that with the trial version?

I think this is what we should stick to after this digression about the quality of vB5 in general.

As for 1.:
                      I have never tried that in the past, but here is what the FAQ says:
                      "We do not support importing into vBulletin 5 at this time. However you can import into vBulletin 4.2.0 and then upgrade to 5.0. Our import scripts support: Invision Power Board, SMF, phpBB3, UBB.Threads, and others."
                      If this isn't outdated information, then you need to do an import to vB4 first and then upgrade to vB5.

As for 2.:
                      The trial version allowes you to explore an installation of vB, so you can check out both the AdminCP and the frontend. However, you can't use the trial version to do a test import of your current SMF forum as you won't be able to download any files. So doing an import is only possible, if you have purchased the software.

Comment

• ozzie4x4
                        • Jan 2014
                        • 5.0.X

thanks for the replies
                        Last edited by ozzie4x4; Tue 7 Jan '14, 6:04am.

Comment

• cellarius
                          • Aug 2005
                          • 3.8.x

I think you Vbulletin backstabbers are just going a bit too far
                          You see, we all would gladly tell the OP to get all the unbiased customer's opinions on vB's own feedback forum. Unfortunately, the company thinks it is best not to show that feedback to new customers. Given that, a link to offsite feedback seems completely in order.

As has been good tradition for vB for over a decade, I suggest the OP take a look around the web for working vB5 installations (unless over a year after release this is considered another stab-in-the-back, of course).

He also might want to take a look at vbulletin.org - the vB5 forums there offer valid feedback of people actually trying to use vB5, and the number of existing addons is, well, significant. Again, the addon community used to be one of the great strengths of vB. Now, I guess, mentioning this also qualifies as stab-in-the-back?

Comment

• zappaDPJ
                            • Jun 2007

I'm actually a vBulletin licence holder still running a couple of large forums on vBulletin 4. If you check out my post history you'll find most of it has been dedicated to either helping other vBulletin users or trying to improve the software. I've also spent years playing the JIRA game, again trying to help fix the broken product.

If look more carefully at the site I linked, you'll see that there are also a number of positive 5 star reviews in amongst the negative reviews. I'm not intentionally backstabbing anyone, far from it in fact, I'm trying to be helpful. The OP claims 'yes I have googled reviews , and it seems more on the positive side then negative'. Does that really represent an accurate picture of the state of vBulletin 5? Of course it doesn't and the OP has a right to know that.

Comment

• donald1234
                              • Oct 2011
                              • 4.1.x

No you are wrong, if the OP has been advised by you and or others to do a google search for "vbulletin reviews" and the OP does this and comes back and says something positive, you have NO right to try and negatively influence him again with a link to one site with mostly negative reviews. Out of order in my opinion.

Comment