X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Etienne Eso
    • Dec 2013
    • 4.2.X

Buy or Not to Buy?

hello, at what I've already read, is not so recommended vbulletin 5. for the time I use a phpbb forum and wanted to upgrade. However, I'm not so sure if I will not be disappointed after installation. is the purchase of a license to recommend? general nature of the support is in the forum? If at faults have been active and in new versions and the customer requests drawn into consideration? should have further questions occur to me, I'll ask here. sincerely, stefan P. S. my english is not good and so I use a translator.
  • donald1234
    • Oct 2011
    • 4.1.x

That is the question? While new version 5.1.0 is still in the testing stage you are free to install tried and tested version 4.2.2 and upgrade to 5 anytime you feel the reviews for version 5 improve.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
      • Jul 2008

You can download and use vBulletin 4.x with a new VB5 license and use that- you can in the meantime test VB5 and upgrade to it whenever you feel it is ready at no additional cost.

Comment

• vB5Customer
        • Dec 2013
        • 5.0.X

Originally posted by Joe D.
        You can download and use vBulletin 4.x with a new VB5 license and use that- you can in the meantime test VB5 and upgrade to it whenever you feel it is ready at no additional cost.
        How long till 5.1 is ready and is there any where to see a demo of it?

And, how much longer is it going to be recommended to buy vBulletin 5, and then run a older copy of the script? This seems kinda strange to me. Been lurking the forums a few weeks, and this seems to be the most recommended process.

Customer asks about vB5, the current gold standard of vBulletin software -> customers reply telling them to be wary -> support staff recommends using vB4, even though they are paying for vBulletin 5.

If this is the case, why not remove the version numbers, and say you are simply purchasing a vBulletin script? Which version you're paying for depends on the one you want to use.

Comment

• Thom34
          • Dec 2013
          • 5.0.X

I am currently testing the V5.1.x
          little bugs with chrome/firefox when we want post something... in french translate ... ^^
          the message is not displayed automatically when it sends.
          a window appears with an error message ^ ^

if you like Vbulletin buy it it's a cool forum

Comment

• napy8gen
            • Jul 2001
            • 6.X

Support always tell to use vb4; it means vb5 is not a reliable product. In another way vbulletin support itself killing its product. I don't know if I want to sell apple I would tell potential customer to eat mango instead.
            Get Our vbulletin 6 themes

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by vB5Customer

How long till 5.1 is ready and is there any where to see a demo of it?

And, how much longer is it going to be recommended to buy vBulletin 5, and then run a older copy of the script? This seems kinda strange to me. Been lurking the forums a few weeks, and this seems to be the most recommended process.

Customer asks about vB5, the current gold standard of vBulletin software -> customers reply telling them to be wary -> support staff recommends using vB4, even though they are paying for vBulletin 5.

If this is the case, why not remove the version numbers, and say you are simply purchasing a vBulletin script? Which version you're paying for depends on the one you want to use.
              I do understand your feeling and it is a fair assessment- however note that the cost of a VB5 Connect license is actually $35 cheaper than our VB4 Suite licenses were previously, so while you are paying for a VB 5.x license, you get VB 4.x suite cheaper than had you bought it 2 years ago.

5.1.0 will be ready when it is ready, current customers can already download and test it. There is no public test yet for non-customers.

Comment

• vB5Customer
                • Dec 2013
                • 5.0.X

I do understand your feeling and it is a fair assessment- however note that the cost of a VB5 Connect license is actually $35 cheaper than our VB4 Suite licenses were previously, so while you are paying for a VB 5.x license, you get VB 4.x suite cheaper than had you bought it 2 years ago.
                Is that really how it's justified? That 2 years ago a more feature rich version of software was available as the gold standard and it sold for $35 more? So someone lowered the price $35 and removed a bunch of features from the looks of it, and really messed up the software in the process. Not to mention 2 years ago vbulletin 4.x suite was still receiving timely updates, from the looks of things it appears that vB4 is a back burner project, perhaps even dormant at the current time.

5.1.0 will be ready when it is ready, current customers can already download and test it. There is no public test yet for non-customers.
                Thank you, I anxiously await the 5.1 fixes and CMS before making a final judgement on the software.

Comment

• Etienne Eso
                  • Dec 2013
                  • 4.2.X

Many thanks for your comments. I think I'm going to middle of next month to purchase the license, but remain at a 4.x version, because to do so gives the appealing modifications. this would not run most likely on a 5er version. I'll vbulletin give a chance because I phpbb anyway just excites me and other providers are too expensive with their forced to pay every x months. a question I have left. may be with the license an extra test forum set up to test new modifications? Have access to very few people. I test new modifications rather just before I replacements blind. exclude errors. Thank you for your feedback. sorry for the horrible English. I can not better it unfortunately :-)

Comment

• jmurrayhead
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by vB5Customer

Is that really how it's justified? That 2 years ago a more feature rich version of software was available as the gold standard and it sold for $35 more? So someone lowered the price $35 and removed a bunch of features from the looks of it, and really messed up the software in the process. Not to mention 2 years ago vbulletin 4.x suite was still receiving timely updates, from the looks of things it appears that vB4 is a back burner project, perhaps even dormant at the current time.
                    lol vB3 was even cheaper and more reliable as well as more frequently updated than vB4 and 5. I believe vB3, when I bought it, was around $170.
                    No...No...Meester vBulletin, he no work right.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Etienne Eso
                      Many thanks for your comments. I think I'm going to middle of next month to purchase the license, but remain at a 4.x version, because to do so gives the appealing modifications. this would not run most likely on a 5er version. I'll vbulletin give a chance because I phpbb anyway just excites me and other providers are too expensive with their forced to pay every x months. a question I have left. may be with the license an extra test forum set up to test new modifications? Have access to very few people. I test new modifications rather just before I replacements blind. exclude errors. Thank you for your feedback. sorry for the horrible English. I can not better it unfortunately :-)
                      Yes you can run one test install of vBulletin as well. It must be blocked from public access- usually the best way to do this is with an .htaccess password but if you have IP restrictions or just run it locally not accessible to the Internet that is fine as well.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by jmurrayhead
                        lol vB3 was even cheaper and more reliable as well as more frequently updated than vB4 and 5. I believe vB3, when I bought it, was around $170.
                        A lot of things were cheaper 5+ years ago. Milk, bread, cars, gasoline...Pretty much anything I bought 5 years ago would be cheaper than today.

Comment

• jmurrayhead
                          • Sep 2006

A lot of things were cheaper 5+ years ago. Milk, bread, cars, gasoline...Pretty much anything I bought 5 years ago would be cheaper than today.
                          But seldom do those things increase that much as well as have the quality go down as much as vBulletin. You can still drink milk, you can still eat bread, you can still drive cars, you can still fuel vehicles with gasoline...but can you still efficiently and safely run a site using the latest versions of vBulletin and do all the things with the software that you used to be able to do? Nope.
                          No...No...Meester vBulletin, he no work right.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                            • Jul 2008

I consider VB4 a big improvement over VB3 and VB5 will get there as well, unlike Milk software changes and is more open to opinion.

Comment

• beishe8
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 4.2.X

I consider VB4 a big improvement over VB3 and VB5 will get there as well,
                              For sure it will, just have to make sure that we are still alive that time.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...