vBulletin 5 vs. Invision (IPB, IP.Board)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gabrielt
    • Apr 2007
    • 3.6.x

vBulletin 5 vs. Invision (IPB, IP.Board)

Hi,

We curently run vBulletin 3.8.7 and it is time to migrate to a more up-to-date system. We haven't decided yet on which system to use, vBulletin 5 or IP.Board. I can't find a reliable side-by-side comparison between the two systems. If anyone could point me on the right direction...

Question: does vBulletin 5 allows users to login/create an account using his or her Facebook account directly? This is a major feature we need.

Thanks.
  • feldon23
    • Nov 2001
    • 3.7.x

Gabrielt, I am trying to send you a PM but am blocked from doing so.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
      • Jul 2008

Unlicensed users do not have access to the PM system.

I'm sorry we do not have a feature by feature comparison available between VB5 and IPB3. What I can tell you is there is an unresolved bug preventing quick registration via Facebook in VB5. I am unsure when this will be fixed. If it is that important to you, have you considered vBulletin 4.x?

Comment

• feldon23
        • Nov 2001
        • 3.7.x

I wonder how he's been able to post so frequently in the Support forums then.

Comment

• nelsa1412
          • Dec 2013

I'm interesting to migrate from SMF 2 but I'm not yet decaided between vbuletin 4/5,XenForo and IP board ,one side by side comparation future woud be great.

Comment

• beishe8
            • Oct 2005
            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by feldon23
            I wonder how he's been able to post so frequently in the Support forums then.
            Perhaps he's sold his license since "Thu 30th May '13"?

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• djpretzel
              • Jul 2005
              • 3.8.x

VB3.x was wonderful. VB 4.x was disappointing, but quite solid for forums specifically...

VB5 is a terrible mistake that should be abandoned in favor of a series of iterative enhancements to VB4.X, but no one on the vBulletin team has enough integrity, responsibility, and power to make that sort of mea culpa occur.

Abandon ship and go with IPB.

Comment

• dilbert
                • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Gabrielt
                Hi,

We curently run vBulletin 3.8.7 and it is time to migrate to a more up-to-date system. We haven't decided yet on which system to use, vBulletin 5 or IP.Board. I can't find a reliable side-by-side comparison between the two systems. If anyone could point me on the right direction...

Question: does vBulletin 5 allows users to login/create an account using his or her Facebook account directly? This is a major feature we need.

Thanks.
                I doubt you'll find an unbiased list anywhere.
                Just read these forums and hear all the people who complain about vB, then go over to IPB.
                People there are a lot friendlier, and they have roadmaps and clear communication of where they are going.
                I was a customer here for many years, as soon as 5.x was released I left for IPB. SInce I've moved IPB has announced the release of 4.0 and it will be a significan't upgrade. When it's released it will be full featured, not like here where most features are still missing and you get hostile replies if you the customer are so brazen to ask when 5.x will have the same feature set 4.x had.

I would never recommend vB to anyone.

(sorry for the typo's, once I type in this editor, it won't let me edit anything. It just jumps to the end.)
                Cliff
                PathLabTalk
                Square Wheels Cycling

Comment

• feldon23
                  • Nov 2001
                  • 3.7.x

I would look seriously at XenForo. All the folks who made vBulletin 3.x great are working on it.

Comment

• JuniorNation
                    • Sep 2009
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Joe D.
                    Unlicensed users do not have access to the PM system.

I'm sorry we do not have a feature by feature comparison available between VB5 and IPB3. What I can tell you is there is an unresolved bug preventing quick registration via Facebook in VB5. I am unsure when this will be fixed. If it is that important to you, have you considered vBulletin 4.x?
                    Considering VB4 would mean being forced to buy VB5... Thats something people dont want to do!

Comment

• superj707
                      • Sep 2014

I also am currently trying to decide which to go with IPB 3.x or VB 5.x (or 4x)
                      I will need to migrate a rather large SMF board.

All the debate's I could find online were from 2011/2012. Have things changed much since then. Can anyone provide a detailed explanation why one would be better than the other? Seems like a lot of people scream about something being terrible without actually explaining why they don't like it. Not having the reasons make it difficult for me to make up my own mind.

I can tell you so far one thing making me seriously lean towards IPB is the very nice migration tool they offer. It explains clearly what will convert and what won't (it brings user passwords)
                      VB's migration tool seems to be outdated, not well maintained, buggy and incomplete. This is just my impressions as I haven't used either.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                        • Jul 2008

It is a fair assessment, Impex has not been well maintained. If you do go the VB4 route I have compiled the manual fixes you should make to Impex before you use it here- http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...ual-file-fixes

Once those fixes are in place most people can import without major issue. Would suggest you do a search to verify successful imports have been reported from the specific version of SMF you are coming from.

Fairly sure IPB offers a trial, as do we- suggest you try it for yourself, see what you like the best.

VB5 Trial - http://www.vbulletin.com/en/vb5-trial/
                        VB4 Trial - http://www.vbulletin.com/en/vb4-trial/

Comment

• mip01
                          • Dec 2012
                          • 4.2.X

I would like to bump this thread.
                          I'm more or less in the same situation as the topic starter and would like to know your opinions.
                          Is vBulletin now significantly better than 3 years ago and compared to the latest IPB 4? Would you recommend to update my vBulletin 4 to vBulletin 5 or should I move to IPB or maybe something else?

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                            • Jul 2008

If you have specific questions about VB5 feel free to ask them in new topics, but this site is not the proper place for an unbiased discussion of the various commercial forum products, that is best best left to a 3rd party site not affiliated with any brand of software. Put simply we do not allow what would amount to advertising for the competition here nor would we expect they to allow it on their own sites.

Comment