X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Syzygies
    • Nov 2013
    • 5.0.X

vBulletin 5 doesn't work with 1Password

I am a user of various bulletin boards that use vBulletin 5 software. Thus, I can't post this message where it would make the most sense to put it. I posted this error report at 1Password's forum:

One of my favorite forums switched to vBulletin 5. Everyone who uses 1Password is now experiencing the same problem: They manually click on "login" on the upper right corner of the page, and a User Name, Password drop down box appears. Now use the 1Password browser assistant to fill in these fields. One gets the error "You have entered an invalid username or password. Please enter the correct details and try again. Don't forget that the password is case sensitive. Forgotten your password? Click here!".

Instead filling in these fields manually by copying from 1Password (to insure entries are correct) and one logs in fine.

vBulletin itself has a forum http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/ where one can easily sign up and experience this problem.

I reported this last month to AgileBits. I heard nothing in reply, which is fine except that leaves me not knowing whether they "accepted" or "rejected" the problem. Update Version 4.0.7 (407005) didn't mention this issue, and it is not fixed. If I'm on my own to convince vBulletin to join the civilized world in engaging in standardized behavior, I need to know.

I'd like to see AgileBits display some leadership in documenting what is standardized behavior. Before, say, OS X Mavericks does, stealing market share. What web page can I point the vBulletin team to, that patiently explains how compliant web sites should be written?
    Hey you guys, I love your product, so I use it a lot. When I try to auto-login to some forums I always have to click login manually.
  • Syzygies
    • Nov 2013
    • 5.0.X

I am also a programmer. Were it me, on the first failed login attempt I'd have vBulletin switch to a clean, easily bookmarked login page with labeled fields that are so bog-standard that no conceivable autofill program could possibly choke. Then 1Password users could find this page (the hard way) and use this as their saved URL in their 1Password entry for vBulletin sites.

Clearly, vBulletin 5 is doing something mildly unusual. As there are no standards, they are unaware of how unusual they are being. I have plenty of experience with convincing people to fix problems like this. For example, one sysadmin had set up a university department mail server in a slightly nonstandard way, causing problems with all sorts of third parties like Google Groups. I had to write a script that documented how a hundred other universities accomplished the same task, to convince him what an outlier we were.

There is no right or wrong here, we are in a period before standards. PLEASE just do something (as a fallback) that is so stupidly simple that it has to work.

Comment

• Omeka
      • Jul 2004

Have you tried to reset the cache and cookies of the domain?
      https://traduzioni-italiane.it/

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

I'd have to ask what 1Password is doing differently. I have no problem using autofill logins from Google Chrome (Windows and iOS), Internet Explorer 10, Mozilla Firefox or KeePass and vBulletin 5. Our form fields are named pretty basic using "username" and "password" respectively.

The only thing I can think of is that 1Password can't handle the form being in an iFrame.

The login actually is its own page as can be seen here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/auth/login
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• rudedog1968
          • Feb 2004
          • 3.8.x

I use 1Password and can access this site without any issues. I just logged out and then in and was able to click on the log-in box and then click the 1password icon in my menu bar and it auto filled and I was able to login.

I'm using:

Firefox 25.0
          1Password 3.9.19 (browser plugin)
          OS X 10.8.5

My 1password settings are to not automatically login so I can select "remember me" before loggin in.
          Not so Rude, Rudedog FPSadmin.com | twitter | Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 - Games for Windows

Comment