Can I integrate forums into article content?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mcahill
    • Jan 2002
    • 3.8.x

Can I integrate forums into article content?

Okay, I'm looking at vBulletin for my company site also...

I need to create a knowledge base of information, which I will manage with my content management system. I would like to provide a way for employees to enter comments, which would be added at the bottom of the page.

Is this possible with vBulletin?

Thanks,

Mark
    Mark Cahill
    Reel-Time, the Internet Journal of Saltwater Fly Fishing
    Allthingscahill.com
    Splitcoaststampers.com
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Requires hacking at this time. Check vbulletin.org for the CMS hacks. The most popular one is vBPortal which you can find at http://www.phpportals.com
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• mcahill
      • Jan 2002
      • 3.8.x

Maybe I hadn't had enough coffee...

Re-reading my intial message leads me to believe I confused the heck out of the issue. Let me try to restatify it more goodlier...

I have a bunch of web pages with article type stuff, text images, etc. I would like to have at the end of the article a forum, especially for that page.

Any possibility I can do that? Didn't see much on .org or VBPortal that seemed to help (although both seem to be great resources).

Mark
      Mark Cahill
      Allthingscahill.com
      Splitcoaststampers.com

Comment

• Arkham
        • Mar 2001
        • 4.1.x

Re: Maybe I hadn't had enough coffee...

Originally posted by mcahill
        Re-reading my intial message leads me to believe I confused the heck out of the issue. Let me try to restatify it more goodlier...

I have a bunch of web pages with article type stuff, text images, etc. I would like to have at the end of the article a forum, especially for that page.

Any possibility I can do that? Didn't see much on .org or VBPortal that seemed to help (although both seem to be great resources).

Mark
        That's what I'm planning to do with vB and phpportal/vBPortal. I'm going to heavily customise the "article" forums to present article "posts" with a different look -- in actuality the article/content is just the 1st post in a thread. I think you can modify things with permissions so that the first post is your article/content, and by only allowing users to reply they can comment that way.

I haven't done this yet, but I've been designing my site with these functionality in mind, and from what I've looked into, it's possible.

Comment

• mcahill
          • Jan 2002
          • 3.8.x

Thanks

Sounds like I'm going to need to roll up my sleeves and start earning my paycheck. If I get this thing figured out (I'll need to get the VB installed first), I'll post in the appropriate forum.

You help is appreciated.

Mark
          Mark Cahill
          Allthingscahill.com
          Splitcoaststampers.com

Comment

• Arkham
            • Mar 2001
            • 4.1.x

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by mcahill
            Sounds like I'm going to need to roll up my sleeves and start earning my paycheck. If I get this thing figured out (I'll need to get the VB installed first), I'll post in the appropriate forum.

You help is appreciated.

Mark
            I wish I was closer to implementating vB, but I'm waiting for v3 so I can learn vB from that level up. Sorry I can't be of much use, esp. when we both seem to have the same idea.

What I can do is try to better explain what my aims are with this...

Okay, assuming vB and vBPortal/PHPPortal is installed:

- I want to seperate a group of forums to be reserved for articles and reference texts.

- I want a seperate news page for each of these "special" forums that, so that you can go to each main page for a list of the recent posts a la the usual vBPortal main page. (I think this is outside of our situation, but I'm including this for illustration. This may be what the 'multihack' or other news hacks are for...)

- Through heavy template customisation, these article/reference "forums" look more formal, and the "Threads" and "posts" are actually articles and reader comments. (Thread = Article/1st post followed by replies, as with regular forum threads)

- You can adjust access so that certain people can put up an article ("start a new thread"), but regular users can only comment (reply to it).

Anyway, that's roughly what I want to do... I think we're talking about similar functionality from what I can tell.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Mark

(You also have a cool name. )

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...