How much control is there on URL rewrite settings?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • I, Brian
    • Feb 2003
    • 3.6.x

How much control is there on URL rewrite settings?

I was under the impression that vb5 would allow some degree of URL control for the site owner.

For example, I do not want my threads to have the board names in the individual discussion threads, ie:

/forums/main-board-name/sub-board-name/[threadID]-[threadTitle]

I've looking to move from vb3.8 with vbseo, so maintaining the integrity of the URLs is very important to me. While I expect some degree of upset, I was under the impression after a previous discussion here that vb5 owners would have some control over the URL structure.

Could you please advise?

• Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

As of 5.0.5 you can edit (via site builder) the specific forums urls away from the defaults. But it'll take some time and effort to do each, as it has to be done one level at a time. I'd suggest installing a test site and playing with the site builder. Or trying the demo

Comment

• I, Brian
      • Feb 2003
      • 3.6.x

Cheers for that - much appreciated. I've only tried out vb5.0.4 and the feature wasn't present, which had me worried!

Anyway, have bought vb5.0.5 and an install, so once that's completed (hopefully soon!) I'll get to work on this.

EDIT: Oh, btw, my 3.8 + VBSEO threads are all appended with .html - I presume it shouldn't be too hard to modify the rewrite rules to account for this?

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

Not by default, though, I wouldn't suggest bothering with it. You'd basicly need to manually edit every thread to get that to happen without code modifications. You just edit the forum display equivalent page and then on the save, change its url. It should make sense after you do a change or two. The feature has been around since early beta, but it had some kinks which as far as I know are worked out.

Comment

• I, Brian
          • Feb 2003
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Zachery
          You just edit the forum display equivalent page and then on the save, change its url.
          Cheers for that - sounds promising.

If it's not a silly question, where do I go to edit the URL, please? I have a small forum running vb5, but I can't find where to do this at the moment, either in the "Edit Page" link or the Admincp. Can't find anything in the vb5 manual to do this either, sorry.

Comment