I woud not buy it if I can't modify css easily.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr.Suli
    • Apr 2009

I woud not buy it if I can't modify css easily.

I tried the vbulletin demo and I inspected the CSS and try to edit it in vbulletin but it is too difficult. Everytime I have to search in templates to find the desired CSS selector with its CSS file. Is there a way to easily modify the CSS in vbulletin?

And do you provide a guide for all CSS selectors in vbulletin?

and is there a way to remove all CSS and start a new CSS?
  • glennrocksvb
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Mar 2011
    • 5.7.X

vB has stylevars you can customize in Style Manager. You can also add your own css styles in css_additional.css template.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Mr.Suli
      • Apr 2009

OK but is there file that contain all the CSS of vB that I can have a look at so I can edit them after that?

Comment

• feldon23
        • Nov 2001
        • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Mr.Suli
        OK but is there file that contain all the CSS of vB that I can have a look at so I can edit them after that?
        No because vBulletin's CSS is generated dynamically using their StyleVars system. Maybe some day they'll migrate to something like LESS which is a growing standard with the same functionality of using variables and doing simple math within a CSS sheet.

If you completely replace all the CSS, then effectively, you'd lose the ability to upgrade the software -- unless you do some kind of comparison of what vBulletin changed and then make the same changes.

The benefit of adding CSS to css_additional.css is, you are only overriding the things you want to change, and everything else will just inherit any changes by vBulletin in subsequent versions.

Incidentially here's a tip: When I am tweaking a style, I open the Debug panel (press F12 in Chrome or Firefox) and add my own CSS overrides there. When I'm done, it's very easy to export all my changes/overrides.

Comment

• DemOnstar
          DemOnstar commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, that would work..
          I think that function overrides/changes anything and everything...
      • Mr.Suli
        • Apr 2009

And how do I know the names of css selectors to override them?

Comment

• lara_19800
          Banned
          • Sep 2013

I tried the vbulletin demo and I inspected the CSS and try to edit it in vbulletin but it is too difficult. Everytime I have to search in templates to find the desired CSS selector with its CSS file. Is there a way to easily modify the CSS in vbulletin?

And do you provide a guide for all CSS selectors in vbulletin?

and is there a way to remove all CSS and start a new CSS?
          vB has stylevars you can customize in Style Manager. You can also add your own css styles in css_additional.css template.

Comment

• feldon23
            • Nov 2001
            • 3.7.x

And how do I know the names of css selectors to override them?
            Right click on an element. Choose "Inspect Element". Look at the list of CSS selectors at the bottom of the debug panel.

Comment

• Mr.Suli
              • Apr 2009

I think it is more difficult to change the style of vB than of change the style of WordPress. Do you know any websites that teach how to tweak vB even if it is expensive?

Comment

• Mr.Suli
                • Apr 2009

will hiding some elements using css can increase the speed of download for vB or will it add more work to do for the server?

Comment

• nuleaf
                  • Sep 2013
                  • 5.0.X

You never just want to 'hide' elements within css, and doing a display:none; will do nothing to increase the download from a server.

Comment

• ITR1329
                    • Oct 2013
                    • 5.0.X

I think it is more difficult to change the style of vB than of change the style of WordPress. Do you know any websites that teach how to tweak vB even if it is expensive?
                    I'd like to know the same

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

You can completely and totally rewrite the CSS for any version of vBulletin if you were so inclined.

Comment

• TLMD
                        • Sep 2012
                        • 5.6.X

If you only want to change the default theme (e.g. its colors), it is actually very easy. It can be done by adding just some color codes, then you save your changes as a new theme. Complex changes however require at least basic html and css knowledge.

Comment

• lara_19800
                          Banned
                          • Sep 2013

Comment

• feldon23
                            • Nov 2001
                            • 3.7.x

I think it is more difficult to change the style of vB than of change the style of WordPress
                            A very reasonable assessment.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...