X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LUDACRIS.
    • Nov 2010
    • 4.0.x

Site Transfer.

I have had my own website for nearly 3 years now and understand how VB sites operate from an admin point of view. My main question is if I buy my VB license and transfer my domain how does the money making side of things work.
    Many thanks for any answers or help.
    Chris.
  • BirdOPrey5
    • Jul 2008

There are various ways to monetize your vBulletin forum.

1) You can charge subscriptions to users- You can require users pay to access special forums, have more privileges, or otherwise just use the forum.

2) You can display ads on your pages. Google Adsense is most popular but you can add code from any ad network that will give you HTML or JavaScript to display on your site.

3) You can turn links to sites like Amazon into "Affiliate Links" which entitle you to a percentage of any sales made via your site. vBulletin 4 has built in integration with Skimlinks and VB5 has built in integration with Viglink.

Some users may have more creative ways as well. If a site is popular enough directly selling ads or sponsorships can bring good money.

Comment

• LUDACRIS.
      • Nov 2010
      • 4.0.x

Thanks for the quick response. I was considering the 4.0 version and can you tell me what the cost would be for transferring my domain including my licence and do I need hosting or any other costs to pay.
      Thank you very much.
      Chris.

Comment

• LUDACRIS.
        • Nov 2010
        • 4.0.x

Do I make money from people joining my new site or views and do I need hosting or is this something I can do myself.
        Thank you.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
          • Jul 2008

You absolutely need your own suitable web hosting package. It needs to have versions of MySQL and PHP that are compatible with the software. Do not look for the cheapest bargain hosting, it will cause nothing but problems.You will need a domain name too.

You can make money by people joining your site if you charge them, if you sell advertising through Google Adsense you can make money from views but more money is made when people actually click on an ad.

I don't mean to sound rude but if you're unsure how to make money online I suggest you research that in depth- forum's don't magically make money, you need to have content people want to see, it is a lot of work to make a forum profitable. Some people make enough money to quit their jobs but make no mistake, their full time job becomes their forums, it's not something you put up and wait for the money to start rolling in.

Comment

• LUDACRIS.
            LUDACRIS. commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank's again Joe but I am not sure how to transfer my domain to V-BULLY......
        • BirdOPrey5
          • Jul 2008

Not sure what you are asking, you keep your domain, there is no need to transfer it.

Comment

• LUDACRIS.
            LUDACRIS. commented
            Editing a comment
            I am not getting it...Sorry for my confusion but if I purchase the package then how can I call it the same name as I own @ the moment......

Thanks Joe.....(I know I am a pain in the ass).
        • BirdOPrey5
          • Jul 2008

If you purchase a vBCloud package during purchase you will be asked what domain you want to use with it. If it is a custom domain you already own then you could choose like forum.domain.com and after purchase you would need to create a CNAME with your domain registrar that assigns the "forum" subdomain to a vbulletin cloud address you will be provided.

If you buy the download package you would need to ask your intended web host how to use an existing domain name with your hosting package.

Be aware when choosing vBCloud there must be a subdomain, it can be "www" or "forum" or anything else you might want. But you cannot use something that is just http://domain.com for example.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...