Can I install VB on my test server and later on the production server? Without paying 2 times.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Guido64
    • Sep 2013

Can I install VB on my test server and later on the production server? Without paying 2 times.

Hello,

I'm totally new to VB our foundation still uses the very old PHPNuke with PHPbb2 package. I'm thinking to update our website/forum to something new and modern. I played a bit with the VB demo and i think it might be the best options for what we need. One thing I would like to know is if I can install VB on my test.myPerosnaloDomain.net and later wen finished setting everyting up transfer everything to our "production" domain.

This way we always have a working backup and a place were i can fiddle around on the website before prublishing it to our users.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

A test installation for development is permitted via the license agreement.

Comment

• DemOnstar
      • Nov 2012

It is best that you do set it up on a test environment. That way you can play around with it and get to know it...

Do keep in mind that it should not be viewable to the public if you are using the same license for 4.2.1 for example or any other version that is live on the same license..

1 license = one installation of the vB repertoire..

Localhost works for me...

Comment

• Guido64
        • Sep 2013

Thank you for your reactions and information.

My test server is basicly open to the Internet if you know the URL wich is not advertised or anything its just to show other members of the board of our foundation how the test site or some modification I did looks like before adding it to the "production" site. To me, to us this is important because we want to run our production site without technical problems for our regular members.

I started a demo and read up on if vbulletin is able to provide us all the functions our current site does and I think it does but know I want to start to work more seriously with vb take the next step. I got green light to buy a license but i'm not going to buy a second license for the test site wich wil never be visited by other people then me and maybe one or two other members of the board.

If thats allowed then nothing stands in the way anymore to buy s license and start working with VB.

Zachery post #2 reported this is allowed

DemOnstar post #3 reported the test site is not allowed open to the public

Well maybe I can narrow down access to a few IP's from board members in htaccess of the VB vhost.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

All you need to do is restrict access to your test system via .htaccess. Either via username and password or via IP address. It doesn't need a special IP address or server.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...