Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gajinoz
    • Oct 2011

Setting up new forum

I'm sure this has been asked zillions of times so if somebody could point me to the right info that would be good.

I'm probably going to get vBulletin and transfer my phpBB 3.0.9 forum to it. I know about Impex and so on and I believe I can import the old one however I'm not sure about a couple of things.

When I do the import will the user groups I have, and the users in them, be transferred, including permissions, or will all users simply end up in the basic registered users group and I'll have to set up the groups and move the users and redo all the permissions?

In phpBB I have several categories set up each with 1 or more sub forums. Most of these are public but some are private. What will happen to these when I do the import?

I'm sure there is somebody here who has done all this and can give me some clues as to what happens and so on. I'm prepared for a bit of tidying up after the import but I'd like to get some idea of just how much tidying up there will be. My forum only has around 500 members and less than 20,000 posts to give you some idea of size.

Thanks
  • Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

The following will be imported from phpBB3:
    • Import usergroup
    • Import user
    • Import forum
    • Import thread
    • Import smilie
    • Import post
    • Import Private messages
    • Import attachment
    • Import moderator

Permissions aren't, you will need to recreate these within vBulletin once you've imported your usergroups. I would also sanity check your forum permissions before opening your new vBulletin site up just to ensure that the permissions are correct in regard to private forums.

Please note that we do have an issue around importing attachments at this time but I have flagged this up so hopefully this should be addressed shortly.
    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• gajinoz
      • Oct 2011

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll be setting up a test site first and see how it goes. I'll read the article you linked to.

Is there a good article on the best way to set up a new database for vB?

Comment

• gajinoz
        • Oct 2011

One more question. I noticed, while reading the FAQ that I can only run one instance of the forum if I only have a licence for one. How am I able to have a test site running to experiment with then set up my real site? Do I have to delete the test site first, or what?

Comment

• riderbook
          • Oct 2006
          • 3.5.x

you can run a test site some where else but that link must not be exposed to any one. A customer can enjoy 1 working forum and 1 test forum. Bare in mind test forum is a test forum only, if u bring that site to others then u have violated vb license policies.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
            • Jul 2008

The test forum must be in a password protected directory so the public cannot access it.

You are allowed to have 1 live forum and 1 password protected test forum.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
              vBulletin Support
              • Aug 2002
              • 5.7.X

As previous, the detail is in the License Agreement:

"You may set up one additional temporary test forum for the purpose of testing code, template and database modifications. Such a test forum must be password protected, and not made available to the general public at any time."
              Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
              - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• gajinoz
                • Oct 2011

Yep, understand, thanks.

I'll probably set this up this weekend so stand by for some more stupid questions.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...