• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sspitfire
    • Aug 2013
    • 5.0.X

Calendar?

Hi,

I am considering of getting vBulletin but only if it has a truly functioning calendar. So I'll need your input in order to be able to make my decision.

I need a calendar that is integrated into the forum. When I make a new topic I need the option to make it a calendar event or a normal post. And in case of a calendar event I'll need fields to fill in the permission level/group, date and time of event, and description of the event.
    Members of the forum should be able to subscribe to the event in case they want to participate in the event. maybe a simple "yes/no/maybe participate button" would be good.
    And naturally a calendar view page per month/week/day should be included.

Does vBulletin have such a thing?
  • Hartmut
    • Nov 2007
    • 4.2.x

Hi,

there is no working calendar implemented in vBulletin 5 yet but there is one in vBulletin 4 if you want to. You can set up vBulletin 4 and use the calendar, as soon as the calendar is implemented in vBulletin 5, you can simply upgrade. Unfortunatelly I don't know when this will happen, sorry.
    No private support, only PM me when I ask for it. Support in the forums only.

Comment

• Sspitfire
      • Aug 2013
      • 5.0.X

That is good news.

Some questions still unanswered though, does it also let members subscribe to events? and does it let you use different permission levels for members or groups? (hidden, read-only, etc)

Comment

• Hartmut
        • Nov 2007
        • 4.2.x

No, the calendar is no event calendar. And yes, you can have different usergroups for different calendars.
        No private support, only PM me when I ask for it. Support in the forums only.

Comment

• Road Rash
          • Apr 2013
          • 4.2.X

If the calendar doesn't do events what's the point? I mean most if not all forums have some type of event members would like to be made aware of.

Comment

• Mark.B
            vBulletin Support
            • Feb 2004
            • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Road Rash
            If the calendar doesn't do events what's the point? I mean most if not all forums have some type of event members would like to be made aware of.
            Sorry, the calendar in vB4 is how it is. It's unlikely to be changed now.

Once you have bought a license, you are welcome to make an improvement request in our Tracker, though it would probably be best to focus this on vB5 now.
            MARK.B
            vBulletin Support
            ------------
            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• feldon23
              • Nov 2001
              • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Road Rash
              The calendar in vBulletin has not been significantly improved since 2004.

Comment

• jdj
                • Jan 2009
                • 5.1.x

We're still running vB4, we have a current licence for vB5 but have not been able to upgrade because of the absence of the calendar and CMS replacement in vB5. The calendar in vB4 is not perfect but it's adequate.

Comment

• jdj
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Sspitfire
                  Hi,

I need a calendar that is integrated into the forum.
                  The calendar in vB4 does not do precisely what you state; what it does have is a feature that lists upcoming calendar events beneath the forum - you can set the number that turn up. So you can have a forum for events with upcoming events displayed underneath. You can also add a forum and make it a link to your chosen calendar to publicise the calendar. So you can't do precisely what you've suggested but you can do something similar in vB4.

At the moment you can't do anything in vB5 which is a major omission.
                  Last edited by jdj; Tue 27 Aug '13, 3:40am.

Comment

• TLMD
                    • Sep 2012
                    • 5.6.X

Originally posted by jdj
                    we have a current licence for vB5 but have not been able to upgrade because of the absence of the calendar and CMS
                    The good news: Both will come back in vB5. The bad news: not before vB 5.1.0.

Comment

• beishe8
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 4.2.X

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• jdj
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 5.1.x

Originally posted by TLMD

The good news: Both will come back in vB5. The bad news: not before vB 5.1.0.
                        Anybody got an update about when that's likely to be?

Comment

• TLMD
                          • Sep 2012
                          • 5.6.X

Originally posted by jdj

Anybody got an update about when that's likely to be?
                          Currently we are at vB 5.0.4, the next version (vB 5.0.5) will come soon. Maybe we won't see additional five versions (5.0.6, 5.0.7... etc.) before vB 5.1.0, but it is also possible that we will see more than five versions (5.0.10, 5.0.11... etc.). Personally I wouldn't expect vB 5.1.0 to appear before Q3/2014.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                            • Jul 2008

If you look at the VB5 Project in the Tracker, and go to the "Roadmap" (http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/...Aroadmap-panel)

It shows that 5.1.0 is expected after 5.0.6. This isn't a promise or a guarantee, simply that as of right now, what is in the tracker, 5,1.0 would follow 5.0.6.

It is all subject to change but checking that roadmap is the best way to stay updated.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...