• Show
Clear All
  • malder
    • Feb 2012
    • 4.1.x

PHPBB2 to vBulletin Connect

Hello.
    I'm thinking of migrating my community to connect vbulletin

Today my community work with phpbb2, is old but very light but my idea is to make social network.

Database weighs 600 mb

One of my questions is what is the best way to do the migration:
    phpbb2 to phpbb3 to vbulletin
    phpbb2 to vbulletin

For this work is that the program have IMPEX I wonder if everything is well blended.

thanks
  • rudedog1968
    • Feb 2004
    • 3.8.x

You may want to research vB5 connect before you make the leap. Do some research on 3rd party sites. There are many items missing from vB5 connect right now but vB keeps telling everyone that all these "other" features will be added "soon"
    Not so Rude, Rudedog FPSadmin.com | twitter | Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 - Games for Windows

Comment

• malder
      • Feb 2012
      • 4.1.x

rudedog1968 thanks for your early reply Do not quite understand what you mean Refers to the mods? You can specify on the missing items? Sorry, I'm using a translator to communicate

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
        • Jul 2008

As of right now there is no working importer to import INTO vBulletin 5, so you would need to import into vBulletin 4.x. After that you can either stay on VB4 or upgrade to VB5.

A VB5 Connect license allows you to download and install VB4 OR VB5 so that is not a problem.

Our phpBB importers work best with phpBB2 2.0.22 or phpBB3 3.0.5, so ideally upgrade to one of those versions. Of course always make a database backup first.

Comment

• Deimos
          • Oct 2002
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by malder
          rudedog1968 thanks for your early reply Do not quite understand what you mean Refers to the mods? You can specify on the missing items? Sorry, I'm using a translator to communicate
          Basically, google reviews of VBulletin 5 before you decide to buy

and

As examples.

Comment

• malder
            • Feb 2012
            • 4.1.x

Sorry, but I find shocking I'm reading as vB users themselves do not advise the use of the new version.

If you are sure to make this decision, I'm not so much, because if the solution is to install the version 4, I would take several months modifying the program to later upgrade to 5 or back to work all over again.

Also I think the version 4 has no similarity to a social network Finally I'm back in doubt...
            Last edited by BirdOPrey5; Fri 21 Jun '13, 8:08am. Reason: Removed solicitation to discuss competing products

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
              • Jul 2008

This is only a site to discuss the vBulletin platform. As you can see there are some people who do not like what VB5 offers. That is fine, they are certainly entitled to their opinion. I would strongly urge you to use this forum AND also setup a VB5 demo before deciding for yourself if VB5 is right for you or not.

That said discussion of competing forum products is not allowed here. If you want to discuss other products go to their sites or general webmaster type forums.

Comment

• Loco.M
                • Mar 2005
                • 3.5.x

Sorry, but I find shocking I'm reading as vB users themselves do not advise the use of the new version.
                Staff doesn't even suggest it on a live site, it's not even "gold" yet.

-- Web Developer for hire
                ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Loco.M
                  Staff doesn't even suggest it on a live site, it's not even "gold" yet.
                  "Gold" is not a label that will ever be used with the product going forward. So it is a poor use of words to claim "it's not even gold yet" because even in 3 years from now we won't be calling it "Gold." The Beta period ended with the release of 5.0.0.

Comment

• malder
                    • Feb 2012
                    • 4.1.x

My intention with this version 5 is stand out from the competition by offering a different platform, novel.

If I install the version 4, users will see more of the same But I'm surprised you do not have support in more languages​​, at least the language packs and this day there are very few plugins mods

Again sorry if my words are not correct, use a translator

Comment

• DeltaHawk5
                      • Sep 2012

Please don't waste your time importing into vB5...go with 4.2.1 if at all.

Comment

• zalta999
                        • Jun 2013

My intention with this version 5 is stand out from the competition by offering a different platform, novel.

If I install the version 4, users will see more of the same But I'm surprised you do not have support in more languages​​, at least the language packs and this day there are very few plugins mods

Again sorry if my words are not correct, use a translator

Comment

• feldon23
                          • Nov 2001
                          • 3.7.x

Originally posted by zalta999

If I install the version 4, users will see more of the same
                          I don't understand why people are embarrassed by appearance of standard forum software.

It has worked for 17 years and will work for another 17 years. Facebook will never replace forum discussion.

Comment

• malder
                            • Feb 2012
                            • 4.1.x

There is a new bug?

The above message written by zalta999 was actually written by me, with the user name malder, then I do not understand how you can come out as it was written by zalta999

Comment

• rudedog1968
                              • Feb 2004
                              • 3.8.x

Welcome to the "non gold" standard of vBulletin 5
                              Not so Rude, Rudedog FPSadmin.com | twitter | Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 - Games for Windows

Comment