Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neal
    • Aug 2001

vBulletin 3.0

I was curious as to when vBulletin 3.0 will be released. The reason I wonder is if I should wait untill it is releaseod to buy or simply buy now and hack my boards up like crazy. I don't want to hack em up and then not be able to upgrade to 3.0 if it is going be released anytime soon. Thanks in advance!

---------------------

Edit:

Will it be easy to upgrade from 2.2.2 (or whatever the current version is when 3 comes out) to 3.0 if the boards are hacked up with hacks from vbulletin.org... I've heard rumors about some major stuff happening in 3.0 and I don't want the hacks to all the sudden stop working, or mess up the boards, or some other problem they may cause. Again, just deciding to buy now or hold off. Thanks again
    Last edited by neal; Fri 1 Feb '02, 12:01pm.
  • tubedogg
    • Feb 2001

We aim to have it out in late Q1/early Q2 but there are no guarantees.

Comment

• neal
      • Aug 2001

excellent, I'll hold off buying untill then... thanks again

Comment

• Boss
        • May 2001

What are the benefits of Version s over 2.x

Can someone list benefits, extra features

Most importantly will it be more or less server intensive?

Comment

• Floris
          • Dec 2001

Currently in development

version 3 is currently in development, so there isn't an official list of supported or newly implemented features. There are a few quotes from the developers out in the open, and there have been a few screenshots. There is also a thread on the support forum that has a list of over 100 suggestions that are being looked for implementation in some way.

As far as I know v3 will be complient with xhtml and the latest css version.

Anyway,

When you purchase v2 now, you get 12 months of free updates/upgrades, so when v3 comes out in a few months, you are able to get it.

There can be done a lot to v2 to change it, with template hacking. And you can stay away from code-hacking untill you have upgraded to v3. (which is what I am planning on) See my sig for a purchase link.

Comment

• neal
            • Aug 2001

Sorry, another question, I modified the original post in this thread

Comment

• tubedogg
              • Feb 2001

All of the hacks will have to be rewritten for v3. There's a good chance that some will make it in as standard features but for those that don't they will almost certainly have to be rewritten.

Upgrading from 2.2.2, then, will be painful from the aspect that you will be losing all of your hacks (unless you want to rewrite them all and then reapply them to your files) but it will be simpler from the aspect that the hacks just won't work and therefore you can just upload clean vBulletin files.

Comment

• Marshalus
                • Jan 2002

You'll be able to upgrade from 2.2.2 users, posts, etc into 3.0 right?

Comment

• Floris
                  • Dec 2001

Yep

Comment

• ac3
                    • Jan 2002

ok i have a moderately hacked vbulletin board, and i have lost track of all the hacks i've installed. Will there be a changelog from 2.2.2 to 3.0?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      Former Customer Support Manager
                      • Jul 2000

You can be assured that virtually every PHP file will be changed. Don't know about the templates, but I expect many of them will be new as well.
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                        Former vBulletin Developer
                        • May 2000
                        • 1.1.x

There will be no changelog from v2.2.2 to v3.0.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                          • Aug 2000

Most likely all hacks will have to be re-written for VB 3.0 as it is. Therefore a changelog won't be very much help.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Kier
                            Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
                            • Sep 2000

And you can pretty much guarrantee that every template will be changed too.

This is a major upgrade.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...